• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Inhalant .... Butane gas

Elvis'LittleHelper

Greenlighter
Hi there

For a few years I’ve been on butane on and off. It’s been everyday though for about a year. It’s really ruined my short term memory and cognitive function. I was a pretty sharp guy and now I have to concentrate very hard to use my brain at a normal level. I can’t remebe the word I want to use, nothing pops on my head...it’s just blank, it’s awful and means I’m struggling in my work.

I’ve been off it 5 days now. Obviously I know it’s goijg to be much longer but is there any chance I can recover mentally?

Hello,

I think you should check it out with a psychiatrist or do some scans on your brain just to be sure.

But I think that you can recover if you don't continue to use and start doing some mind exercises.

There are those phone apps with lots of exercises for memory,speed,multi-tasking etc.

Plus you could take some vitamins for the brain,there is this thing called Tonotil-N, which has multiple amino acids which are good for mental exhaustion,degenarative mental diseases and even athletes use it (It must be sold in your country too, it's in the whole europe), maybe other nootropics would be good too along this, tonoti-n you drink those twice a day, a sour cherry taste, it's not nasty at all rather tasty, but I repeat, engage in mental activity.

I've known people who used glue ocasionally but they didn't have a daily habit but I've heard of other users with huge lung issues.

I think it would be good to see a psych/neuro and get some scans done also. The important thing in recovering as fast and as fully as possible will be not using inhalants. I would suggest when craving to do some exercise or smoke some cannabis, almost anything is going to be less harmful than butane.

I don't think seeing a psychiatrist will do a single thing. Just my opinion (I'm in the medical field). This is a medical problem secondary from drug abuse (I'm guessing). A neurologist will be your best bet. Be honest with him/her and tell them what's going on (about your butane use). They can order scans of the brain to see if there is a problem. They can also prescribe you medication as well if needed.

Some people with brain damage experience permanent disability but can recover partially from their "injury" (ie drug abuse). If neurons are damaged or lost, they can't grow back -- but the synapses, or connections between neurons, can.

(this is caused by several things, ischemia of the brain being one of them)

yeah the neurologist is for the scan, but his daily use would be helped out with Cognitive Behavioural psychoteraphy.

I think if the results are that you did some considerable brain damage please don't smoke cannabis either, try to keep it sober for how long you can.

yeah the neurologist is for the scan, but his daily use would be helped out with Cognitive Behavioural psychoteraphy.

I think if the results are that you did some considerable brain damage please don't smoke cannabis either, try to keep it sober for how long you can.
This. Your brain needs time to heal. "Over exciting" it with drug use (no matter what it is), can make things worse. I have this patient that I go to frequently that is in a vegetative state because of his drug use. You don't want to be this person. I'm guessing most of us here use drugs (or did at one point), but moderation is key (I know... harder said than done). But the brain is one of the most important organs in the body and it can take a long time to heal (if it even does). Let it rest.

Good luck.