• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Info from people prescribed suboxone

Stimzandbenzhydmorpho

Greenlighter
So I have struggled with opiate addiction for a few years now, Off and on. Well I’ve been pretty heavy on opiates for about a year and a half now and I’m just having a hard time stopping like I have in the past it’s just come to far this time the sickness is unbearable with the w/d considering on average I’m doing atleast 5 to 6 opana 30’s (Iv’ng). And I’m ready for some professional help to where I can be maintained to be constantly off of opiates forever. My dad who is a huge help is an ex addict as well, and he buys a bunch of suboxone off of his good buddy every month when he gets his script and then I buy some from him and they work so amazing I don’t even crave ANYTHING. So leading to my question now.

I want to start seeing a suboxone doctor, but to be honest I’m a little scared about it as I know nothing about it except some of the basics.

1.What can I expect on my first visit? I know I’m supposed to be in withdrawal when I go in but I won’t be because of the suboxone I have and I have been clean of opiates for about 5 days now and don’t want to start back, so is the suboxone that is already in my system going to be a problem with the doctor or can I just tell him the truth and tell him I was so sick that I couldn’t stand it, it was either take the pills again or take the suboxone and I chose the subs. Will that be a problem?

2.are there any kind of requirements that a doctor has to go through on the patients end before he can prescribe the suboxone?

3.Is the therapy that I keep hearing and reading about absolutely required and if you don’t your prescription of suboxone will be stopped (wondering because I can’t honestly do the therapy two or three nights a week because I’m working 12 hour days Monday through Saturday and have a two hour commute to work but I am currently seeing a therapist and psychiatrist at a community services office for my area) would proof of me seeing them be enough for the doctor to let me to foraward without there talk therapy?

4.I have also heard that your first month or two you will have to come in like twice a week to see the doctor and then move to monthly appts has this been true in your own experience? (I really want the help but can’t afford to see him two times a week at a $75 co-pay plus what the prescription cost)

5.currently the only medication I take is concerta (extended release Ritalin) and that is prescribed by my psychiatrist will that be a problem when it comes back in the mandatory urine screen?

6. And last question is, is suboxone worth it to you, has it made a big and positive impact on your life?

I would really really appreciate the answeres to my questions that I hope I get, I’m so ready to get done with this addiction but like I said I am honestly scared of the whole experience of getting started on a suboxone program and your anwsers of personal experience and knowledge will help me in so many ways! I’m currently looking on suboxone website now for authorized doctors able to prescribe it. I thank everyone who helps in advance!

1.What can I expect on my first visit? I know I’m supposed to be in withdrawal when I go in but I won’t be because of the suboxone I have and I have been clean of opiates for about 5 days now and don’t want to start back, so is the suboxone that is already in my system going to be a problem with the doctor or can I just tell him the truth and tell him I was so sick that I couldn’t stand it, it was either take the pills again or take the suboxone and I chose the subs. Will that be a problem?

I've been on Suboxone twice in my life. It really depends on your state and doctor as each has different protocols. You should be honest and tell him you're already taking Suboxone so you won't have to go through what they call the "induction period" (being dope sick with no opiate use for minimum 24 hours). That's the worst part of getting on Suboxone so congrats. The doctor willl want to give you a drug test I imagine but just be 100% honest because if they think you're lying and drug seeking they might give you the boot or put even harder restrictions on you such as having to go to the office each day for your dose, extra counseling, etc.

2.are there any kind of requirements that a doctor has to go through on the patients end before he can prescribe the suboxone?

Yes you will get a drug test as they want to know what's in your system and if you're being honest, etc. If you have benzos in your system it's doubtful they will prescribe it without getting you off those, but again each doc is different. Some are very strict whereas my first doctor was all about harm reduction.

3.Is the therapy that I keep hearing and reading about absolutely required and if you don’t your prescription of suboxone will be stopped (wondering because I can’t honestly do the therapy two or three nights a week because I’m working 12 hour days Monday through Saturday and have a two hour commute to work but I am currently seeing a therapist and psychiatrist at a community services office for my area) would proof of me seeing them be enough for the doctor to let me to foraward without there talk therapy?

Again this varies by doctor/clinic and state. I believe you will have to do some A&D counseling but it's not as strict as methadone where they force you into groups multiple times a week. I had to go through groups twice a week in the beginning (my second time on Suboxone but I was on FMLA leave from work so I had the time and my co pays were only $20). After the initial 6 weeks of groups I saw my counselor once a month and the Suboxone doctor never unless I had quesrtions about the medication, wanting to adjust my dose or get off it. Think about it this way, Suboxone was indended to be a stop gap between breaking your junk habit and getting totally clean from opiates\opioids. Withoutout counseling and or AA/NA you're never going to address the root of the problem of why you stick needles in your arms to the point where it's normal everyday behavior. That shit ain't normal man.

4.I have also heard that your first month or two you will have to come in like twice a week to see the doctor and then move to monthly appts has this been true in your own experience? (I really want the help but can’t afford to see him two times a week at a $75 co-pay plus what the prescription cost)

Doctor and state dependent. If you find a quack that just wants to get you dependant on Suboxone and take your money then no. But if you go to a legit place that actually has your best interest at heart, you will have to suffer through some of this and jump through their hoops. You came up with dope money, you can come up with the copay if you really want it.

5.currently the only medication I take is concerta (extended release Ritalin) and that is prescribed by my psychiatrist will that be a problem when it comes back in the mandatory urine screen?

If it's a legit prescription this shouldn't be an issue but I'm not a doctor and have never been on that medication so I can't say. Just be honest with your doctor, whoever that is and you will reap the most benefits.

6. And last question is, is suboxone worth it to you, has it made a big and positive impact on your life?

I have been on Suboxone twice in my adult life. The first time was with the harm reduction doctor in Chicago who only wanted an initial drug test and for me to do the induction period the way she asked. After that she didn't care what I did as long as the Suboxone was helping me live a better quality of life, which it did despite the fact I still shot dope whenever I could. I was on it from 2003-2011 when I moved to Portland, Oregon and was able to finally get clean. Let me tell you something. After 8 years of Suboxone use and tapering down from 24mg to 4mg the jump off from there was literally the worst experience of my life and I have kicked 80mg of methadone in jail and a gram a day junk habit and there is no comparison. Suboxone is no better than methadone when using it long term and trying to get clean. It seems like a miracle drug at first because you don't have to hustle anymore to stay well but after a long period of time it really sinks it's teeth in you worse than methadone. It took me about 6 weeks to finally detox where I could sleep more than 1-2 hours at a time and it was a full year before I felt all my feelings again. It brought me to my knees where I wished for death. The only thing that saved me was a recovery program I entered and my will to actually get off this shit and live a real life with real emotions and feel real pain and loss. You know actually experience life in all it pain and glory!

In 2015 I stopped going to meetings and strayed from the recovery community. I lived all of my 20's as a junkie. I never got to experience college (I went to prison instead) I never got to go out bar hopping and fuck pretty girls and experience that part of life. So I started drinking and then went through a bad breakup and one of my best friends died of a heroin overdose and then another. Before I knew it I was back shooting dope again totally lost. At this point because of recovery I had built up a good life witha good job and insureance. So now I am on my second round of Suboxone 4 years in. Tapering down again. This shit is no fun.

Really think long and hard about going forward with this because it can create a cycle where you always have Suboxone to fall back on. Also the longer you use it the less of a buzz you will get. After a few years you don't feel anything. You just don't get sick but it also has the side effect of muting all of your emotions so now I feel nothing. Not high not low just even keel all the time. That's not living life. I'm just existing popping my subs each day to stave off the inevitable.

Best of luck to you and whatever decision you decide to move forward with.