• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

indoor growing. smell?

chucky.y

Greenlighter
Hey guys, Im thinking about setting up a few plants in my closet. Ive never grown before, and Im just wondering, how noticeable is the smell?

Kinda depends on the strain, some stink much more than others. Also you don't really need to worry about it at first, it's when they're flowering that it could be an issue. What's the situation like where you'd be growing? Do you freely smoke in your room? If so then you could just pretend as if you just burned if anyone ever commented on the smell.

Well, one of my friends grows in her cupboard and it smells very strongly, but having said that its the strongest stuff Ive ever smoked, so...

If it is a big issue with the smell, then i'd recommend a carbon filter, not sure how it'd work in a closet cause i've only ever seen 1 grow room and the filters were in the wall leading straight outside..

You can fit out a DIY Carbon Fliter if your good at that kind of thing, some strains are not too bad and if kept small obviously smell less, on the whole though even low smell plants will be fairly strong in the last 4 weeks of flowering..

Northern Lights, Chronic(serious seeds) and Sharksbreath(DNA Genetics) are a few I HAVE GROWN WHICH DID NOT SMELL MUCH, the auto flowering strains tend to be not too bad also.

But if you can't/won't fit out a Carbon Filter of any type some good quality plug in air freshners do a decent job, but there'll be some smell depends a lot on your situation and to what you can/can't get away with.

Hey guys, Im thinking about setting up a few plants in my closet. Ive never grown before, and Im just wondering, how noticeable is the smell?

Sounds like you live with parents, if they would care about it don't do it, because they will find out most likely.

^
Exactly what I was going to say.. If you are trying to hide a closet grow from people that live in the same house, your basically fucked.

I do have a spot that would be pretty nice in my bro's room there's like a whole hollow section under his bed (a drawer and two storage compartments that is all connected) Nobody looks in there and he moved. If I ever got the lights I would grow some in there lol.

theres no way. unless you have a ventilation system inyour closet going to outside. if you can pull that off then it wouldnt smell past your room with the door closed.

Well if the reason your hiding the smell is becuase of other people in the house then as others have u said you better not try it. Also plants don't really reach thier full reak potential until the flowering cycle begins.

theres no way. unless you have a ventilation system inyour closet going to outside. if you can pull that off then it wouldnt smell past your room with the door closed.
^
Exactly.. Some more than others, but regardless of the strain, that room will stink of bud.

got a question

if i use cfl light with only one plant, perhaps with a electric carbon filter used WITHOUT vent to window. will it smell?

It depends on the strain and like it was said once that I know of, invest in a carbon filter. YouTube and a 'mentor' are awesome aids, along with this site which I only discovered today, are a great source for information about the growing process. I grew my first indoor plants in my closet from some purple kush feminized seeds I ordered online and it was the best bud I have ever smoked, if I do say so myself! Also trial and error are valuable learning tools, hopefully you don't experience too many errors with pricey clones or seeds, as that could get expensive. My best advice is to always do your homework, research the hell out of growing weed indoors and seek multiple sources. Good luck to you and happy growing!

the smell can be somewhat alleviated using a ventilation system that goes through a carbon filter, but as others have said, if you're trying to hide your grow from others that you are living with it's not going to go well

I would ditch this idea and just grow outdoors next year. Buy the seeds, bide your time then germinate the seeds when the time comes and you'll have a harvest, sans carbon filter, lights etc.

Research grow room design, look at the micro-grow thread on icmag, and try to be realistic. If as others have said, you are growing under someone else's roof, who will care about it, you are thinking a bit too wishfully here. And as Artificial Emotion said, growing outside may be the more realistic option. With that said you might want to veg them a bit under those cfls 1st.