• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Indonesian President Joko Widodo rejects Bali Nine clemency for Andrew Chan and Myura

poledriver

Bluelighter
Indonesian President Joko Widodo rejects Bali Nine clemency for Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran

620462-4c1da604-7fd1-11e4-b46f-9c83699de370.jpg

INDONESIAN President Joko Widodo has ruled out issuing pardons for any drug convicts on death row, including two Australians being held in Bali.

Bali Nine inmates, Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, have had a clemency request before the president for more than two years.

“I will reject clemency request submitted by 64 death convicted of drugs cases,” President Jokowi said during a lecture at Gadjah Mada University on Tuesday.

According to Indonesian news website Kompas.com, President Jokowi said that most of the prisoners had “destroyed the future of the nation”.

He said the rejection of clemency served as “important shock therapy” for drug dealers, traffickers and users.

Mr Joko’s new policy will condemn Chan, Sukumaran and more than 60 other drug prisoners to the firing squad.

The comments come just a week after the president announced that five convicts would be executed by the end of the month.

However, it’s not known if the two Australians will be among those put to death.

794740-947ad18a-7b6a-11e4-98b0-29194a96f3cc.jpg

“The president ordered authorities to carry out the legal process accordingly,” the co-ordinating minister for political, legal and security affairs, Tedjo Edi Purdjianto, was quoted on Thursday as saying on the Cabinet Secretariat’s website.

More than 60 people are sitting on death row in Indonesian prisons, but only five people have exhausted their legal appeals and they include foreigners, Tedjo said.

“They will be executed after a letter from the attorney-general is signed by the president,” he said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/in...myuran-sukumaran/story-e6freuy9-1227150620888

President Jokowi said that most of the prisoners had “destroyed the future of the nation”.
Sure they did, buddy.
Sure they did.

He said the rejection of clemency served as “important shock therapy” for drug dealers, traffickers and users.
This is a much-discussed fallacy.
People will continue to use drugs, even if you kill those 5, or those 60.
Making tougher penalities doesn't work.

(and the idea of punishing people because they might have hurt themselves using drugs would be laughable, if it weren't so commonplace and so terrible for thousands of people's lives across the world)

I don't get how some people have a brain but have no fucking idea how to use it.
Capital punishment is as inhuman of a punishment as you can get yet these people claim they are progressing?
That they are humans with their nations best interests in mind?
Bullshit. I don't know how he can sleep at night knowing he had the chance to stop 60 deaths but did nothing, especially for drug trafficking crimes.
All those people will die and it will be entirely his fault you inhumane stupid fucking pathetic excuse for a fucking human being; and worst of all he probably feels high and mighty about it, like he is superior to these "criminals" for it.
Eat shit and die like you just sentenced them to do.

Sure they did, buddy.
Sure they did.

Slim this made me laugh so hard I almost made me fell off my chair. But its really not a laughing matter, I just couldn't help myself.

“Sometimes crying or laughing are the only options left, and laughing feels better right now.”
― Veronica Roth, Divergent

Slim this made me laugh so hard I almost made me fell off my chair. But its really not a laughing matter, I just couldn't help myself.

“Sometimes crying or laughing are the only options left, and laughing feels better right now.”
― Veronica Roth, Divergent

%);)

Bali Nine drug runner Myuran Sukumaran loses final clemency bid and awaits the firing squad

ONE of two young Australians on death row in Indonesia has lost his final bid for Presidential clemency and is now tipped to face the firing squad.
Sources have confirmed to News Corp Australia that Myuran Sukumaran’s clemency plea has been rejected, in a decision bound to send shock waves through Bali’s

725774-c0dca1e0-963b-11e4-9bd9-740a91fb6db7.jpg

A copy of the rejection letter — which removes almost all legal obstacles for the Bali Nine drug runner’s execution — was hand-delivered to the Denpasar court and prosecutions service this afternoon as well as the jail governor.

609289-37618ee6-963e-11e4-9bd9-740a91fb6db7.jpg

Signed on December 30, on behalf of newly-elected President Joko Widodo, the letter says: “After carefully considering the clemency plea from the convicted that is listed in this presidential decree, it is assessed that there is not enough reason to give clemency to those convicted … Reject clemency plea from convicted ... The decree is valid since it is stipulated. The copy of this decree conveyed to related officials to be implemented properly. The decree is given to the convicted to be known.”

The letter also rejects the clemency plea of a Dutch citizen sentenced to death in relation to operating two ecstasy factories in Jakarta.

730357-c784f2f4-963b-11e4-9bd9-740a91fb6db7.jpg

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/b...the-firing-squad/story-fnh81fz8-1227177610144

The heartache, pain and despair felt by Raji Sukumaran, the mother of Bali Nine Myuran Sukumaran

EXCLUSIVE: RAJI Sukumaran is haunted by nightmare thoughts of whether she would even get to hug her son one last time.
Yesterday Mrs Sukumaran broke down in tears as she told of the anguish of the past few days since learning that her son — Bali nine drug runner Myuran — faces execution in Indonesia after his clemency plea was rejected.

880389-adbc267a-9871-11e4-a3d0-f4c730afb29b.jpg

Sobbing and barely able to speak at times the Sydney mother spoke exclusively to News Corporation of her pain at the plight of her oldest child saying they should kill her first.
“I just want him to be alive somewhere so that I know he is okay. I don’t want to live like this. I wish they would kill me first, he doesn’t deserve to die. He did something really foolish 10 years ago and he apologised … he is trying to rehabilitate a lot of people there and he is really really sorry for what he has done,” Mrs Sukumaran said.

Sobbing uncontrollably Mrs Sukumaran says that if her 33-year-old son is such a bad person that he doesn’t deserve to live they should kill her as well.
“My son is so young, he is loving and caring and rehabilitating and they want to take him out and kill him, it’s not fair,” she says through tears.

As a mother, she desperately wants to hug her first-born and tell him everything will be okay.
Mrs Sukumaran is haunted every day by thoughts of executions, which are conducted by firing squad in Indonesia.
“It terrifies me … when is he going to be isolated, will I get to see him, will I get to hug him,” she says in desperation.

Mrs Sukumaran says she can’t understand how all the work that her son has done inside Bali’s Kerobokan jail, in proposing, setting up and running a raft of rehabilitation programs for prisoners — computer, English and graphic design courses, art classes and an art gallery which auctions prisoner art, philosophy and psychology courses and more — has counted for nothing when it comes to whether he lives or dies.

Continued with video of the mother -

http://www.news.com.au/national/the...myuran-sukumaran/story-fncynjr2-1227180880469