• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Indonesia reportedly announces moratorium on executions

poledriver

Bluelighter
Indonesia reportedly announces moratorium on executions

http%3a%2f%2fprod.static9.net.au%2f_%2fmedia%2fimages%2f2015%2fmarch%2f07%2f0703_balidelayhero_a.ashx

Indonesia has reportedly announced no more death row prisoners will be executed for now.

According to the ABC an Indonesian government official announced the moratorium on executions would allow the nation to concentrate on “fixing its economy”.

The coordinating minister for political, legal and security affairs, Luhut Panjaitan, is understood to have made the announcement at a media conference earlier today.

The news comes seven months after Australian drug smugglers Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran were executed by firing squad in Indonesia.

The pair were executed for their roles as ringleaders of the Bali Nine drug smuggling ring and were shot with several other foreigners, mostly sentenced over drug offences.

Indonesia remained firm amid calls to suspend the death sentences, although in September Chan and Sukumaran’s lawyers indicated economic pressures could lead to a halt in executions.

MORE TO COME

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/...-moratorium-on-executions#6RC9kDZJblwxhXBG.99

This is good! If they want to fix their economy, be the first to legalize marijuana for recreation and created a booming tourism business there. Not only would you get a lot of Australians on holiday, it would be a boon for street vendors selling food and restaurants offering excellent meals. Indonesia is a beautiful country...considering they don't have a lot of natural resources and growing palm oil palms is ruining the environment I think having tourism be their number one cash making venture could be a step in the right direction.

Yes, this is awesome! Fucking awesome indeed! Far from perfect, but I'm happy to see this regardless. Go Oz for finally being able to force them into this position!!!

OF COURSE these guys who were sentenced to death will probably be treated worse than shit in some unimaginable hell whole of a "prison" (more or less)...

I am of the mindset that if you are given the death penalty it should be enacted within a year. There are only three situations that I believe the death penalty should be used.

1.) first degree murder. If you plan on killing someone and you kill them, well you forfeit your life.

2.) habitual second degree murder/ violent assault and battery. If you cannot control yourself and have killed more than once, or tend to hurt others when you get angry, well you forfeit your life.

3.) habitual sexual offenses. Sex offenders have the highest recidivism rate. If you are caught twice then you should be put to death.

The reason I say habitual other than for first degree murder is that people do need a chance to change, and be rehabilitated. Conviction of pedophilia should be instant death sentence though...no if ands or buts.

All of these should be open to interpretation other than the habitual sex offender one. Basically, keeping people for ten years on death row is extremely costly for taxpayers. On the other hand, drug offenders get too long a sentence. 49% of convicts are in prison and jail for drug offenses. Reforming both (being tougher on violent crime or crime that is sexual in nature, and being a little fairer on drug crimes) would really help our economy quite a bit, not to mention help our communities by not letting people that are violent/ sexually violent walk the streets.

So they were murdering so many people they had no time to spend on the economy?

Didn't the anti drugs chief of Indonesia just propose killing drug smuglers to clear out their prisons?

Instead of murdering drug people' because there is no room left in your cages.. let them go and adjust your nation's ( and the worlds) uterly failed aproach to drugs.

I am of the mindset that if you are given the death penalty it should be enacted within a year. There are only three situations that I believe the death penalty should be used.

1.) first degree murder. If you plan on killing someone and you kill them, well you forfeit your life.

2.) habitual second degree murder/ violent assault and battery. If you cannot control yourself and have killed more than once, or tend to hurt others when you get angry, well you forfeit your life.

3.) habitual sexual offenses. Sex offenders have the highest recidivism rate. If you are caught twice then you should be put to death.

The reason I say habitual other than for first degree murder is that people do need a chance to change, and be rehabilitated. Conviction of pedophilia should be instant death sentence though...no if ands or buts.

All of these should be open to interpretation other than the habitual sex offender one. Basically, keeping people for ten years on death row is extremely costly for taxpayers. On the other hand, drug offenders get too long a sentence. 49% of convicts are in prison and jail for drug offenses. Reforming both (being tougher on violent crime or crime that is sexual in nature, and being a little fairer on drug crimes) would really help our economy quite a bit, not to mention help our communities by not letting people that are violent/ sexually violent walk the streets.

You support the death penalty for murder because you believe in the sanctity of human life?

I believe in the death penalty for murder because I believe that in certain instances those people should not be given another chance to murder someone else. I care more about the victim than the assailant.

So they were murdering so many people they had no time to spend on the economy?

Didn't the anti drugs chief of Indonesia just propose killing drug smuglers to clear out their prisons?

Instead of murdering drug people' because there is no room left in your cages.. let them go and adjust your nation's ( and the worlds) uterly failed aproach to drugs.

Indeed. Only murder those that do not fit into society and make it dangerous for those that abide by societies standards..ie. not murdering people.