• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Incoming Threat to the Legality of Hemp Derived Cannabinoids, or Just More Talk?

SmilexGwG

Bluelighter
Recently i've noticed many more incidents of delta-8, and other legal cannabinoids being reported as dangerous on local news channels (Atl, GA) than before. Im seeing many articles about the possible prohibition of these products either by individual state law changes, or complete and federal criminalization of these products in a 2023 farm bill.

What im worried about is the possibility that the DEA and other agencys might be really starting the push to criminalize and prohibit these currently legal cannabinoids.

So does anyone else have the same fears rn?

I think it's fairly complex issue right now in the US.

Yes there are problems within the d8 industry, definitely. Unregulated hazards, byproducts, toxins.

But I was also listening to an NPR report today about how the legal cannabis industry views the hemp/d8 industry as a major threat to their business... and they have a lot of 'fuck you' lawyer money to throw around, legal weed is a multi-billion dollar business.

I'm not that worried about it being banned yet, my state (fairly conservative) just passed a bunch of laws strengthening the hemp business, and weed isn't legal here.

I was reading of an "adjustment" to the farm bill which would increase THC allowed to 1% but also include things like Delta 8 in that limit.
They'll likely eventually do some "stealth" law like this.

Recently i've noticed many more incidents of delta-8, and other legal cannabinoids being reported as dangerous on local news channels (Atl, GA) than before. Im seeing many articles about the possible prohibition of these products either by individual state law changes, or complete and federal criminalization of these products in a 2023 farm bill.

What im worried about is the possibility that the DEA and other agencys might be really starting the push to criminalize and prohibit these currently legal cannabinoids.

So does anyone else have the same fears rn?
So, others already touched on these some, but yes, it’s a complex issue, especially in how it’s affecting legal cannabis, and there is indeed proposed changes to the hemp act coming.

From what I’ve read, just a few days ago, the Senate initial THC limit proposed is currently 0.7%. While that’s down from the 1% idea, it would also allow products to be sold up to 0.7%. To compliment that, the Hemp Roundtable allies appear to be pushing for a limit of 10mgs per serving. This is because they do not want products exceeding what’s currently available in the adult cannabis market. Also, these limits would cover Delta-8, Delta-10, and possibly HHC. I suspect any semi-synthetic THC will be fine, but fully synthetic substances not found at all in the plant may be restricted.