• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

In what way is DXM spiritual or used for insights? How?

MarcusJD9999

Bluelighter
How can a chemical that is made in a lab and used for coughing in any way a tool for spiritual insight (and shamanic at high doses) or spiritual exploration? I have read reports of people taking this drug for meditation or they claim they received some spiritual insight or revelations? Sounds more like delusion to me /:

I can see people taking Dex in lower doses just for the experience or to have fun/a good time like one would with alcohol, but to explore spirit and gain insights seems odd. Mushrooms & Cannabis is different because they grow naturally from the earth.

I just don't see how a chemical used in cough medicine to treat colds and coughing that you find in your local pharmacy over the counter could include any kind of use for spiritual growth or exploration. Seems odd. And why isn't it illegal, and if their are other medicines to treat cough, and this is a legit dissociative psychedelic, why hasn't it been taken off the shelves yet? Who knows. It is odd.

Why don't you take it for spiritual purposes yourself and see? What do you expect us to be able to tell you about a subjective experience?

First of all, you've got to get over the fact that DXM is used as cough medicine. To say that this should prevent it from having spiritual depth is like saying that cannabis can't be spiritual because it helps with nausea, and psilocybin mushrooms can't because they can abort headaches; it's just not logical. A substance's medical uses has nothing to do with its spiritual potential.

Second, whether something is man made or grows in nature also makes no difference to the effects it produces, your body can't tell the difference. It's all just arrangements of atoms, and none of them are more "natural" in this universe than any other, they just are what they are. LSD is obviously a prime example, as many people consider it to have great spiritual depth despite being man made.

Finally, who are you to question the spiritual benefits reported by others? Sure, people think things are insightful that are just nonsense sometimes, but other times they have really great insights, and that applies to anything in life and especially on drugs, even the natural psychedelics like mushrooms. You doubting people's experiences simply because DXM is used for coughing and is made in a lab sound like the truly deluded one to me.

If you really want to see if DXM is spiritually useful for you, follow psy997's advice and try it for yourself. We're not going to be able to say anything that will completely convince you otherwise when clearly nothing you've read about it so far has done that.

I think the reason it has not been taken off shelves is because is not very popular. Imagine the cue if the cold medicine was ketamine :)

Even the fucked up UK forgot about it. Poppers, Dxm, alcohol and energy drinks...what a diet. Thanks god for the single malts!!..and the little caps.

End of rant and back to subject. It surely is a very strong dissociative but I think it doesn't suit most bodies.
I just experienced with a low dose 20 years ago. And good pretty high but the body load seemed unacceptable. It was probably the only compound I have never taken twice...but now that memories are blurry, and having read about the difference in high doses, and getting much more into dissociatives, and being in the fucking UK away from my stash...I am considering the posibility.

Natural isn't safe

While it's true that people have created many horrible poisons, the idea that "natural = safe" is irrational and even possible dangerous. Yes, we have discovered many medicines in plants, but that isn't because plants are our friends and want to help up. Consider morphine - what would our world be like with painkillers? Morphine and its derivatives are a gift, a miracle, but the poppy didn't make them to help us, it makes them to poison animals that might eat it. Morphine and codeine are mostly found in the sap of the seedpod, the part the plant needs to not be eaten by herbivores in order to reproduce. And it works - animals don't eat it. Almost all the useful chemicals we get from plants were evolved to kill or deter anything that might eat them. There are many that are deadly poisonous, like toxin from the Deadly Angel mushroom or the digitalis from Foxglove.

Cannabis sativa did NOT evolve THC so you can get high and be a happy camper. THC is an alleochemical, just like the amatoxin in destroying angel mushrooms. The fact that we can use some of these chemicals as medicines is a product of our *technology*. Do you also think that chickens evolved into tasty lunchmeat? How about MDA? Do you know that it's made from the essential oil of sassafras, and that other herbs, like dill and nutmeg, can also make psychedelics? But only after our technology modified the chemicals so that they can cross over into our brains. If i went and made all the cannabinoids in pot in a lab, soaked it on some herb and gave it to you, would that be 'unspritual'?

blah, superstitious peasants. if you really want to know how dxm is spiritual, you can read my blog, confessions of a weirdness magnet.

Well, I didn't really mean the concept of it being a natural or man made chemical as much as I did DXM being something that you find at your local pharmacy.

I just don't see how cough medicine you can just go get at Walmart anytime can be a spiritual tool. So let's just drop the whole idea about the natural and man-made idea, because LSD, duh. Hope that makes sense, and you fellow Bluelight users at least get the gist of what I mean.

"It's all just arrangements of atoms, and none of them are more "natural" in this universe than any other, they just are what they are" I know what you mean.

Also I am not doubting or dissing anyone's experiences with DXM. And you don't have to ask me to try it for myself, because I have, and have been experimenting with this substance for years, at once a month in my prime and my highest dose being 1000mg (with a tolerance). I have also binged on it almost everyday for a month straight (well not everyday, their were breaks of 1-3 days during the mentioned month), and binged for 6 days straight once, at doses of 300-800mgs.

I have gained some form of spiritual insights and very meditative effects from taking DXM, as well as delusions from abuse. If you abuse it and inappropriately re-dose or take it at the wrong time or manner, it will bite you back. Not going to lie I have abused it we all make mistakes. Usually the delusions are realized after the effects wear off, and it's nothing serious, and I mean you realize they are delusions after it wears off or during the trip sometimes.

So if you respect DXM and take it at the right time it can provide insights and be potentially beneficial. If you abuse it and dose excessively and at the wrong time or wrong manner it can be bad.

I don't know, it might be weird that I started this thread after having taken DXM many, many times with both abuse and respect. And If I have such experience with the substance, why would I even start this thread or ask this question?

Well, I just wanted to see what others thought about this subject and I am determining if I should keep using this substance and drop use to like twice a year, if using it even at all.

After using this substance many many times and even abusing it, and I am claiming right now that it has had spiritual properties for me personally, both positive and negative (though nothing too serious or permanent) depending on whether you respect or abuse it.......I still think it is strange that an ingredient found in your local pharmacy can be spiritually benefitting. If I had one word to describe DXM, it would be odd, but maybe that's because I thought about it that way. Cheers.

Last edited:
So in conclusion, I just thought that the whole concept of DXM being a spiritual tool is interesting and felt like discussing it with fellow Bluelight fellas.

Well, if I had had that information to begin with I probably would have given a fairly different response lol.

In that case, let me go into DXM's history instead. The thing about it is that it's not just some drug that was used recreationally and then somehow made it to your local pharmacy.... It was tested and marketed specifically to be an over-the-counter cough suppressant before ever being publicly available, and that's all it was before eventually being discovered as recreational. And, for that purpose, it's actually fairly effective, at least again as an over-the-counter medication, though they did make one hilarious failure when they first introduced it.... It was actually tested and approved by a government-funded program designed to find effective medicinal replacements for codeine that could not be abused. Ha!

So, in that sense, the fact that you can find a spiritual tool at a local store is just a coincidence. No one intended or expected it to be that way, and that just happens to be the place where you get it. There's nothing to try to grasp there, it just happened to work out that way. As for why it's still available there after all these years of being more publicly recognized, there are several reasons I could think of that might contribute.... First of all, the fact that more people seem to dislike it than like it, or at the very least they like it less than most things, as a recreational drug. Second, like I said, it is effective as a medicinal drug, and obviously quite safe given that the recreational doses a hundred times higher than the medicinal doses still generally do not produce fatalities. Third, it has such a wide reputation as a "kiddie" drug just because kids happen to be able to obtain it easily that the government is probably not concerned about it really catching on. Fourth, the government probably also doesn't want to admit what a hilarious failure their design was, nor fund another study to find a replacement for it. And that's all just off the top of my head....

About all of the spiritual stuff... part of the issue is that 'spiritual' is just one of those words that means something different to everyone, and that's before you even factor in someone's ability to glean any sort of insight related to whatever they consider to be spiritual. To me personally, spiritual basically means anything related specifically to consciousness, such as emotions, thoughts, and perceptions not meant to be a reflection of the physical world (like dreams, for instance, but not the room you see around you right now), but also the concept and facets of perception itself. So, basically anything that can show me something about how any of these aspects of myself work, I would consider to give some spiritual insight. In the case of DXM, I have also had some of the delusions that you speak of, things like thinking I've discovered the truth to reality or am being hunted by "universal police" and similar things, and these are obviously nonsense beliefs that evaporate after the trip like you say, so it may seem like you can't gain much from them. However, simply experiencing them at all shows me, for example, what certain aspects of my mind do when they're either inhibited or enhanced beyond the range necessary to support ordinary consciousness, and I can use this knowledge to consider that a lesser or greater form of these different delusions always exists in my mind naturally, and therefore I should be mindful of it and watch or modify my behavior to make up for the potential faults caused by these different types of behaviors. Or, if there is nothing at fault, I can simply marvel at the inner workings of my own, and the intricate complexities of consciousness in general. Either way, it amounts to being a very insightful experience, in what I would consider a very spiritual way.

So, I can't really speak for someone who would consider spirituality to be something more religious, or any such definitions other than my own, but I can say that I personally consider DXM to be potentially spiritually insightful, if you're looking for some confirmation as to whether or not what you feel is accurate. If that is the main source of your doubt then I don't think you should need to stop using it just for that reason, but I do definitely think you should consider using it less as well if you've binged on it like that and feel that it's affected you negatively in ways. Perhaps stopping totally would be best if you feel that that is the right decision, but I can't make that call for you.

What I will say is that I personally get a lot more out of the insights I gain from psychedelics than the ones I get from dissociatives. In my admittedly somewhat limited experience with dissociatives in general, they seem to touch upon that "spiritual" space quite well but tend to return insights that are mostly just interesting rather than overly useful, not that it doesn't happen from time to time. So, I can understand wanting to pull out of it after a certain point, once you think you've seen enough of it to satisfy your curiosity in that respect, and especially if you're starting to abuse it rather than just explore.

I hope you find the insights that you seek. :)

Ok wow thanks. Only some of the experience would I consider negative, but a lot of it positive as well, and I know what you mean about the insights can be more interesting than useful but I have for sure had both interesting and useful insights on dxm. I guess a lot of it could also be considered neutral, like neither bad or good.

Just over many trips I've experienced on DXM, I would say that some of them I would consider good, some of them I would say bad, and some of them neutral as well. I would say I've had more good and neutral than bad, but have had some 'negative' trips as well.

I also learned more or got ideas and concepts about the material world and material things and Buddhist ideas and concepts as well (but I don't believe that was from just the DXM alone, my mind was already open to new concepts and ideas before going into each trip, and it's not hard to get stuff like that just while sober and not tripping, like to understand it just by living life), along with feelings of inner peace and well being in meditative states, feeling like DXM is medicine for the soul lol, and just feeling very relaxed and great body high. I have also had feelings of oneness and a connection to the universe and feeling that life is amazing. So I guess that could be considered useful.

But also the delusional type ideas as well, along with feeling like I'm in a video game or virtual reality program or movie type feel like I am a character in a video game or movie/tv show, while walking around town on high doses, or everything looked that way during the trip, and feeling like a spirit just floating their when closing my eyes, things like that, not a belief really, just like a feeling while on it, like feeling like you are floating and stuff. Also feeling like a kid again and having a strong imagination and anything is possible, and just the vibe of magic and how the ordinary and simple is magical, like nature and the stars and stuff, well the positive beliefs like this lasted after the trips. Also got ideas of how I could make my life more awesome. Really fun times man I have had good times on this drug that is for sure. And this was around the time of the binging which had it's fun moments but also feeling of using too much, this was apparent in some trips and had one scary and bad vibe type trip after tripping one night and going into the next day with nearly no sleep, re-dosing another 600mg which kicked in early that next morning. So dosing really close together or too much at once, like unnecessary re dosing or dosing at the wrong time or mindset, I've had really strange and delusional kind of vibes while on it, and some confusing like I am really drunk. Some of it close to a bad trip but not too bad.

I've also had trips where everything had the same visual feel as an LSD or shroom trip, with similar visuals on everything, like how everything is moving and such, this was a trip I had while walking around the walking trail that goes through my town at night, right after having to talk to a couple cops after being pulled over all while really fucked up on 600mg! Ha. Also was on probation for DWI at the time, which made it even more sketchy, but I remained cool and they asked me some questions and then let me go so it was all good. Walking on the trail at night while tripping was cool. Like I said fun times haha.

But yeah useful insights too like loving my family and how I can improve my life for the better, and got this while meditating and laying down a couple times in trips (usually during my once a month phase) so that could be useful. Also just interesting closed eyed visuals and feelings of floating or being carried around through like a tunnel of closed eyed visuals or the feeling of seeing the inside of a gift shop on a beach somewhere like here on Earth while it is occurring, though very dream like and more of a closed eye visual than anything else. So that is more interesting than useful I guess, as well as just feelings of things being odd on some trips and everything looks alien, especially after staying up tripping i to the next day with no sleep. I've got the alien appearance to reality a good bit of times, like your brain has been altered to trip on this drug.

And yeah I feel I ruined the tolerance factor and used it a lot so I might cut back on it and take a break. So I agree it can be spiritually insightful I guess I just thought it was interesting how you can find a spiritual tool in the cough medicine of your local pharmacy or grocery store for cheap, and what some of you would say or think or know anything about and would be an interesting topic to discuss. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have never had a genuine spiritual experience on drugs. i've really appreciated nature a lot and everything looked really beautful etc, sure. I have used dissociatives over 1000 times (DXM a solid 200+) and tryptamines phenylethylmines (serotonin agonists, 5ht2a whatever they all work similarly) 200-300 times, salvia I smoked every day for a couple months years ago.

I am glad I didn't because I would not want to fall into the enemies trickery and be led astray.

I have never had a genuine spiritual experience on drugs. i've really appreciated nature a lot and everything looked really beautful etc, sure. I have used dissociatives over 1000 times (DXM a solid 200+) and tryptamines phenylethylmines (serotonin agonists, 5ht2a whatever they all work similarly) 200-300 times, salvia I smoked every day for a couple months years ago.

I am glad I didn't because I would not want to fall into the enemies trickery and be led astray.

Fall into the enemies trickery and be led astray?

Dextromethorphan is a great chemical. I don't really understand why people draw this line between synthetic and natural drugs. Just because it isnt biosynthesised in nature doesn't mean it couldn't possibly be. And the process of synthesis had to start at some point with a natural ingredient, chemists dont just magically poof things out of thin air. To the op: perhaps you should read some experience reports on DXM. Dissociatives in general have a history of people tending toward " spiritual" themes in their trips. Not saying it's right or wrong, good or bad, just that it definitely exists.

Last edited: