• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

In Vitro/Vivo Methlation of 2-Aminoindane

Almost definately not. Methylations usually need the presence of an enzyme and a more reactive methyl group than on a tert amine. Look at the methyltransferases (comt, tmt, tpmt) they use the cofactor S adenosyl methionine as the methyl donor which has the methyl group attached to a positively charged sulfur which wants to just donate it and be neutral.

Even then SAMe is not super reactive without an enzyme coordinating the methylated species and making its own leaving groups favorable.

Well I guess then the 2-Aminoindane must be magically working by itself, my brain chemistry is pretty unique I think, definitely feeling this more than I have in the pasat.

its really weak at best, i only recognized it when smoked but it was nothing to write home about.

never heard anywhere that the methyltransferases methylate NH2 groups. does anybody know if they methylate subtrates other that alchohols?

edit: im wrong. there are N-methyltransferases, O-methyltransferases and the more rare C-methyltransferases.

Last edited:
i think it's doubtful that 2-ai is methylated in vivo. demethylation reactions are much more common.
for instance, amphetamine is not methylated to methamphetamine. instead the reverse happens
2C-x drugs, DOx drugs, and tryptamines, the same. AMT and NMT (even plain tryptamine) are not methylated either
if anything these are demethylated

more than likely MAO will degrade it to the inactive ketone if it is a bare primary amine

Last edited: