• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids In one way, it's actually beneficial to go through regular withdrawal once a week...

Bomb319

Bluelighter
While on methadone maintenance. As bizarre and fucked up as that may sound to you, since severe opiate withdrawal is by far the most hellish experience of my life (the many, many, many, MANY experiences, that is). Yet there are two fairly substantial physical benefits of doing so. Just a warning - number one deals with bathroom issues (no pun intended), and there are necessarily a couple details there. Nothing too specific though ;)

1. Not to be gross, but it's a chance to clear out the 'ole colon after a week of constipation. This can even potentially help prevent colon cancer in the future. Sometimes (especially if I have anxiety as well) when it's going on two days since my last dose, I will need to go to the bathroom several times that day - each one....er, quite significant. It's amazing how it was all in there and I couldn't tell :/ I can't imagine that being constipated 24/7/365 is very good for you unless you can regularly clear it all out to protect the intestinal lining. Similarly, it is also a chance for urinary retention to decrease; this is among the most annoying side effects for me. I have fallen asleep on the toilet many, many times because of it and I lose a substantial amount of sleep ALL the time. Especially if I take a bit more than my prescribed dose out of my carries, it can be an absolute nightmare. I often have to just sit there, straining as hard as I can over and over, just to get it out! When even that doesn't work, the only thing left to do is to pour hot water over "the area". Seriously, that works. Although it can STILL take awhile to do it. This also can't be good for your health, as it can lead to chronic urinary tract infections.

2. Moderate withdrawal also helps me lose weight, although w/d is extremely unpleasant, and I would not even be posting this if I didn't have my dose today - I'm a lump of a suffering ball of sweat and profound depression with absolutely zero motivation to do a thing including eating, sleeping (I simply can't), talking to anyone, or getting out of bed. I am almost certain that fasting and the empty acidic stomach that follows is actually responsible for a fair bit of my w/d from low blood sugar. Symptoms are very similar: hot flashes and chills, nausea and irritability. Yet the damn drug has caused me to gain at least 40 pounds since I began using it several years ago. It's awful, and very hard to lose the weight because it seems to slow my metabolism. Again, even though the w/d is unpleasant to unbearable at times, not eating or trying to eat very little due to nausea and simply not wanting to eat will generally result in the loss if several pounds. The longer it lasts, the more I lose. Obviously I recognize that this is not the healthiest way to lose weight, however it seems to be literally the only way I can ever lose even a single pound while on the drug.

There is also a questions I am dying to know the answer to: when approaching the moderate phase of withdrawal to the worst phase, do you find that your sense of smell becomes overpowering??? I always find that suddenly, as my nervous system awakens from repression, every scent becomes more powerful, I can smell and almost feel the air around me and the smell of the humidity....smell is definitely enhanced during withdrawal. I'm curious to know if this is due to the fact that the olfactory system is suppressed directly while taking opiates, or whether it's just a general effect of a more active nervous system. I also wonder if what I am smelling is actually real, or just a form of hallucination. Also, if you don't eat for too long a period of time, do you start shaking, sweating, and feel anxious, irritable and weak?

Does this happen to you guys as well?? Thanks for your time :)

I can agree with you on some points, although nobody wants to be in WD, sometimes I like it.. I like listening to music, and having all these emotions come rushing back! I'll be so moved that some songs can induce a tear or two, becoming that emotional just makes you feel "human" again. Also I think cleansing your digestive system is very beneficial. However, wd can be very strenuous on your internal organs, especially your heart!. The shaking from not eating sounds like a low blood sugar situation.

- Hopeless Soul