• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Impulse control/regulation, neurological interventions?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
As the basis of this contention is neurological regulation I feel this is the suitable forum.

But in addition to drug therapeutics exclusively, it also encapsulates areas of behaviour, culture and personality.

Question simply - effective means of impulse control, and what interventions to behoove impulse control do we most frequently apply?

Essentially we're organisms, organisms with high potential for sentience/cognizance and resultant functionality, but in an uncultivated or "unprogrammed" state = we can exhibit behavior not dissimilar to feral/wild organisms that don't have societal regulations to govern their behavior either etc.

i.e. see this frequently with kids from poor back grounds, where their parents do little to nothing to "cultivate" or coach them in terms of behavior, as to what is productive, suitable and lends itself to a positive life.

This process is not always easy, the process of impulse and subsequent behavioral management, can require strict discipline depending on the genotype etc.

But it's the basis for civilization and progressive humanity.

Last edited:
Reflecting on my own personal history, impulse control was dramatically implicated by,

1) serotonergics, SSRI's - these are remarkably effective interventions to regulate impulse control.

I'm curious as to whether their co-occurring side effect of sexual-inhibition/dysfunction is involved in this;

Simply as our primary driver as humans is the sexual impetus, and when this becomes regulated = our entire personality becomes regulated.

2) as a kid more so - being part of a social group.

Being part of a social group means you have to conform to certain behavioral standards of that group, and for this reason, it has positive affect on behaviour and related impulse control.

Also religious groups that self coach by way of verbal mantras (prayer) seem to effectively implicate impulse control and regulate what may otherwise be "un-cultivated" or uncivilized behavior.

3) Cognitive intervention - where I personally stand currently.

I contend the most effective and precise intervention to regulate but additionally optimize impulse control, optimally civilizing behavior and personality = optimal functional outcome.

Cognitive intervention = self-instruction by way of precise word/cue/trigger applications specific to emotionality.

Yes SSRIs because of blockage on serotonin transporter they downregulate dopamine 3 cause inhibition in impulsivity and cause post SSRIs sexual desfunction and anti eating disorder effect and also restless leg syndrome which I experienced personally on paroxetine , flouxetine, Zoloft, citilopram

Ssris also downregulate dopamine 2 causing anti ocd effect.

Agonisting dopamine 3 cause inhibition on ht1a serotonin receptor singling which cause anti-empathy effect

There a war btw ht1a and D3 anyone of them when get some power it directly shot the other receptor lol

Mirtazapine doesn't affect the 5ht transporter but is also used for those conditions?

Impulsivity etc?

Dissociatives. They are the single most impulse control increasing drug class known to me. At the same time they decrease some things a bit but the net remains in plus. Nothing's more effective than when you stop feeling your impulses and get them replaced by some AI robot telling you to feel.

If imagination is then our USP, it might also catalyse a trait that seems unique to humans: language. While many organisms, including even bacteria and plants, communicate with one another, none can do so with the versatility, sophistication and open-endedness of human language, what’s often called our most important technology. ‘First we invented language,’ says the linguist Daniel Dor of Tel Aviv University. ‘Then language changed us.’