• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Computing Improve audio quality of screen capture videos

lecroute

Bluelighter
I need to record screen activity on my laptop to explain more complex problems of a software/application. For that I'm using OBS Studio, which might be a little too much for what I need, but works pretty well. And it was the easiest to get/install on my system (OL 8).

The thing is that the audio quality is pretty bad. I guess it's because of the noise from the vent.
I use the onboard mic, but even if I switch to the aux (which would be the headset mic, plugged into the headset slot) there;s not much difference.

Anyone here with an idea on how to improve my video's audio?
I use them only for the developers when they don't know how to use the software they are working on, or to show a specific faulty behavior.
But now I have to make a short demo for a client and I would like to deliver something a little more pro.

Note: I am not a computer freak. I know what I have to, and I learn what I have to. But I really suck at combing the internet for just the right info.

Onboard audio is notoriously bad, a headset that works via USB (instead of 3.5mm jack) is usually better quality and the sound is less affected by electrical interference.

^ Get a USB mic, they are actually getting decent..... or an audio interface and an sm58 if you want radio quality (as much as you can expect at least)

I would think a usb audio interface and microphone would be a more thorough way to go. Than you have a studio quality soundcard at least....

thujones plan sounds quicker cheaper and easier though.