Impact of Prednisolone on Sperm Count / Quality?

sunday.bird

Bluelighter
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right sub-forum?

It seems I might have temporal arteritis.

Originally I thought it was just trigeminal neuralgia (the symptoms overlap a bit) but I think I have both. Going to request a biopsy.

If it is TA (from what I understand) I need to take steroids for a couple of years... which freaks me out, because I was trained from an early age to hate steroids.

I am also trying to conceive ATM and I don't want to fuck with that.

I've read two seemingly contrary opinions on prednisolone and male fertility.

Some websites seem to indicate it improves fertility, while others say it can have a detrimental effect... Is the latter due to abuse / high doses?

Treatment for TA (from what I know) involves high doses of corticosteroids* being taken on a daily basis for twelve plus months. Could that cause irreversible damage to my balls or am I just freaking out because of anti-drug brainwashing in the 1980s?

I want to conceive at least one more child. Should I be thinking about freezing sperm before pursuing a TA diagnosis?

If I have TA - which I highly suspect - I could lose sight in my right eye... or worse.

*are these steroids the same as the performance enhancing steroids or are they completely different? (Like I said, I'm lost.)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right sub-forum?

It seems I might have temporal arteritis.

Originally I thought it was just trigeminal neuralgia (the symptoms overlap a bit) but I think I have both. Going to request a biopsy.

If it is TA (from what I understand) I need to take steroids for a couple of years... which freaks me out, because I was trained from an early age to hate steroids.

I am also trying to conceive ATM and I don't want to fuck with that.

I've read two seemingly contrary opinions on prednisolone and male fertility.

Some websites seem to indicate it improves fertility, while others say it can have a detrimental effect... Is the latter due to abuse / high doses?

Treatment for TA (from what I know) involves high doses of corticosteroids* being taken on a daily basis for twelve plus months. Could that cause irreversible damage to my balls or am I just freaking out because of anti-drug brainwashing in the 1980s?

I want to conceive at least one more child. Should I be thinking about freezing sperm before pursuing a TA diagnosis?

If I have TA - which I highly suspect - I could lose sight in my right eye... or worse.

*are these steroids the same as the performance enhancing steroids or are they completely different? (Like I said, I'm lost.)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Prednisolone is a glucocorticoid, as opposed to anabolic class of steroids.
It works to reduce inflammatory, and autoimmune responses in some conditions.
It doesn't appear to effect endocrine feedback as you would expect with anabolic steroids..

It might not have any effect on endocrine function, but every time I take a course of several daily high doses, my ability to enjoy sexual activity drops like a brick.