• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Immigration to Canada from USA

CrazyC

Bluelighter
Hello all

I had NO idea where to post this..

Any BLers have experience with this?

The only thing I can come up with is that having a DUI in the US (7 years old) is a major obstacle and that you have to have an offer of employment from Canada to succeed.

Thought? Warnings? Ah Jesus, life is a mess!

Peace,

C.

Last edited by a moderator:
they run on a point system as far as i know. it would be best to speak to your nearest canadian consulate.

Join the military In USA it's good for your record and you get tons of benefits and get in MADD easy

Sorry to tell you this but having a DUI conviction makes a person inadmissable to Canada even to visit, let alone live here or get a work permit. They have some program via the consulates where a person with a criminal record can request the right to travel in advance, but if you got on a plane tommorow and flew to Canada the border service would turn you around and send you home. They treat it very seriously.

^ can you cite specific Canadian law for this?

Under Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), if you have committed or been convicted of a crime, you may not be allowed to enter Canada. In other words, you may be "criminally inadmissible."

This includes both minor and serious crimes, such as theft, assault, manslaughter, dangerous driving and driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. For a list of criminal offences in Canada, consult the Canadian Criminal Code.

Individual rehabilitation

Rehabilitation means that you lead a stable life and that you are not likely to commit new crimes.

If you are not eligible to be deemed rehabilitated you must apply for individual rehabilitation to enter Canada. To apply, at least five years must have passed since you completed all your criminal sentences (this includes probation). You must submit an application to the Canadian visa office in your area and pay a processing fee. You should also check the visa office website to see if they have any special requirements.

Note: Applications for rehabilitation can take over a year to process, so make sure you plan far enough in advance.

So you may be allowed in with a criminal conviction but you would have to apply in advance for the "individual rehabilitation". I don't know how that is, whether they grant that readily or it's tough to obtain.

This is all off of the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

But I've been watching this new reality show they have on TV about the Canadian Border Services Agency at airports and land crossings and there are several instances on there where you see someone being denied entry because they have a drinking and driving conviction.

shit , if this is true how do all the hockey players get in to canada

shit , if this is true how do all the hockey players get in to canada

Same reason Paris Hilton gets released from jail after 6 hours, there's one law for rich people and celebrities and one for everyone else.

Same reason Paris Hilton gets released from jail after 6 hours, there's one law for rich people and celebrities and one for everyone else.

Not entirely true. Bob Probert was not allowed in to Canada after his cocaine convictions. He played for the Red Wings and the Black Hawks. I have a friend moving here to Canada, but he has a clean record. Can you apply for a pardon for the DUI? Also, you can have a Canadian citizen willing to sponsor you for citizenship in place of having a job waiting.

Not entirely true. Bob Probert was not allowed in to Canada after his cocaine convictions. He played for the Red Wings and the Black Hawks. I have a friend moving here to Canada, but he has a clean record. Can you apply for a pardon for the DUI? Also, you can have a Canadian citizen willing to sponsor you for citizenship in place of having a job waiting.

I know but I'm sure they have lawyers making way too much money who know how to pull the strings in most cases. My impression of it is probably that it won't disqualify you entirely, but you would need to go through the proper process ahead of time and face more scrutiny than the average person in order to be allowed in. It all depends on the pardon rules in whatever country you have the conviction in. For immigration purposes they always will equate the circumstances to Canadian law. They say to check with a Citizenship and Immigration office to see whether the pardon received in another country is considered valid.

You can sponser someone for permanent residence, but it has to be a family member or spouse/partner. But that would have no bearing on the impact of one's criminal history on whether they're going to be granted admission or not.