• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc I'm trying kratom to replace tramadol/codeine

Pb109

Bluelighter
I've been taking tramadol recreationally for over 5 years now. I'd say I take 10 a day. The pattern of use would be using for 10 days, then due to supply running out, 4 days in an uncomfortable withdrawal (repeat process when I get another tramadol box). In the days I wasn't using tramadol, I'd switch to 30/500 co codomal tablets. Its fair to say I'm dependant on weak opiods. The reason I like the tramadol so much is because its helps with my anxiety, gives me energy and also motivation. I'm beginning to realise that I'm a total slave to the drug. For instance, the 4 days I ain't got tramadol, I don't plan any events with friends/family because I'll be prone to mood swings and just feeling very lethargic.

So, I had been reading about kratom and how it can improve mood, help anxiety, feel focused and help with any mild pain. Sound's like tramadol I'm thinking. I went ahead and got 100G of red maeng da. Mainly because it was described as "pimp" kratom.

My first time taking kratom was yesterday, the day my usual 4 day tramadol withdrawal would begin. I was beginning to feel the tramadol wearing off, a bit stiff and lethargic and not in the mood to get on with the day. I decided to weigh out 4G and mix it with water. I was expecting it to taste unbearable but it wasn't. Although I have washed down GBL and codeine from a cold water extraction. I then proceeded to smoke some tobacco and wait on the effects. At this stage I have extremley high hopes for kratom. 30 minutes later I begin to feel a nice sensation in the tummy, I can feel something building a bit, slight euphoria, I then feel slightly focused and begin to sort out stuff on my laptop (computer geek here). After an hour I do a bit of tidying in the house. Me feeling stiff and lethargic has gone, so it's helped tremendously with my slight pain etc. I'd say at this stage that's it's done what I would have wanted it to do. The very slight euphoria and being that bit more focused and motivated hasn't lasted more than 2 hour's though. I begin to feel snappy. I'm wondering if I'm feeling snappy beacause I usually would be when my tramadol runs out (first 2 days are awful). I thought I'd get a longer feeling out the kratom when after 2 hours it just kinda goes low. It's now that I feel a bit sick. I think I've dosed to high at 4g.

I'm wondering if I'm just expecting it to be like tramadol when it clearly isn't?

Maybe I've had to high an expectation of kratom?

Could I be using the wrong strain? Would another be more beneficial?

I just feel it didn't last very long. 6 hours after my initial 4g dose, I measure out 2.5g. Again, I find this easy to drink. The 2.5g feels like 4g all over again...minus me feeling sick (so I'm getting somewhere now).

I will continue to do my experiments with this. I mean, it has actually saved me from feeling like shit due to the tramadol withdrawal. I just want that bit more euphoria and be that bit more focused and motivated. When the tramadol has been out my system for 4 days I'll maybe be in a better place to judge it as a replacement for weak opiods.

Any feedback or info would be welcome.

Thanks for reading .

Kratom is a fairly weak opioid, plus there is a ceiling to the effects you can get. Once you hit a certain dose the side effects start to get pretty uncomfortable.

Kratom is nice for tapers in the sense that there is a consistent supply. It isn't preferable though because, like you found out, it has a short duration and that means you have to dose possibly 4-5 times a day to stay out of withdrawals.

I'm currently tapering kratom and i need a dose every ~4 hours or withdrawals start to come on pretty fast. If you need something to substitute for your tramadol addiction then i wouldn't blame you for switching, i switched to kratom for that exact reason. I was running out of tramadol every other week, so i was in withdrawals every other week.

Kratom is just as addicting as other opiates, it's a little easier to cold turkey off of which is nice but if you aren't careful your habit could just get worse if you switch to kratom.

You can read other users reports on Kratom and its multitude of strains. The different strains that I have used anyway can produce different effects, so it is worth the time looking up information on them.

Another thing to consider is quality. I have had the same strain of Kratom from different places and one was piss poor requiring tablespoons to achieve the effect I was expecting and the other was a pretty small dose by comparison. In this case, the small dosage blew the other one away by a mile.

There is a bit of trial and error involved.

The information about various strains is easy to find by simple searching.