• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I'm ready to get off of Methadone, for good.

Methacodone

Bluelighter
Ok, I've been on Methadone for 4 years, 1st year I was on 40mg daily, 2nd year I was on 70mg, now for the last 2 years, I've been on 80mg.
I'm planning on tapering down to 30mg and then switch to Subutex.

Here are the Medications I have in my medication box to help me go through this detox proccess,

-10mg Diazepam #50
-2mg Clonazepam #20
-1mg Clonazepam #25
-2mg Lorazepam #22
-300mg Gabapentin #278
-25mg Promethazine #345
-25mg Hydroxyzine #320
-600mg Ibuprofen #250
-50mg/220mg DPH/Naproxen #240
-2mg Loperamide #200

The only thing I'm scared of is relapse, when I get to about the 40mg range.
I'm planning on going down 5mg a week for 4 weeks, which would get me to 60mg.
Then start going down 3mg a week for 10 weeks, that'll get me down to 30mg, enough to switch to Subutex.

I know that's a fast taper, but I want OFF this shitty liquid Methadone.
I was extremely happy with the tablets and wafers.

Would you guys do that sort of taper with the comfort meds I listed above?

5 mg a week isn't huge , should be painless without all the meds. I'd forego the long acting benzos and just take promethazine and lorazepam for sleep.

the shitty part is when you are going to switch to subutex , you will most likely experience precipitated withdrawals due to methadone's tendency to accumulate , they are the worst withdrawals in the world and you will need those other benzos to ride that shit out without losing it.

I think, from my own experience, that you're correct OP, relapse is a concern. I had my clinic "blind taper" me so I never knew where my dose was from 80-mg to 30-mg/day. Of course I still could have challenged myself to get high but I didn't, the blind taper really worked, after a few failed tapers where I knew me exact dose. Ask your clinic. My clinic did it right, I was at 200-mg/day for four years. Dropped to the 80 ok, but had issues after that until I went to a blind taper.

I withdrew at 30-mg and waited about 80 hours, never did feel intense withdrawal. Went in for induction and came out an hour later just fine. No precipitated withdrawals. Give yourself lots of time during the methadone abstinence phase before induction to bupe, you'll be fine. Look into the COWS scale for help deciding when you're good to start the bupe.

Bingeboy,
I don't get what you're saying about the precipitated withdrawal from switching from methadone to bupe.
I know that you have to be on 30mg or lower to make the switch.
I also know that you have to wait 50-72 hours after your last 30mg dose of Methadone.

CfZrx,
it's not nesessarlly better, but I hear switching to bupe from Methadone at the right time, you'll have an easier taper and a less harsh WD due to bupe being a partial agonist opioid while Methadone, like heroin, so a full agonist.
also, I'm sick of being dependent on a medication to live a NORMAL life. It's time to get off now, I'm 26 years old and have my whole life ahead of me.

speedballs-over,
Haha, there's no way I'm doing s blind taper.
I want to know what I'm taking at all costs.

MC

what im saying is that the 50-72 hour figure is a ballpark estimate , if you decide to pop say 2 mg of subutex after 50 hours and it's 20 hours to early you are in for some misery. I had the same thing when switching from smack to bupe (mind you I was smoking about 2 grams a day) so it was prolly way too high a dose to step off also I had no benzos. My advice is really wait the max amount of time and try to bridge the gap with a big dose of diazepam and perhaps smoke some cannabis , it's very beneficial in withdrawal , even during my worst fent withdrawal (like 10 mg a day iv habit) it would make me feel normal for almost an hour after each joint.

oh and bupe will give you much more energy and you will be more focused/clear-headed than with methadone.

Yes make sure you wait between methadone to suboxone transition. I was a guinea pig at my clinic in 2005 switching from methadone to subs and they told me to skip a day of methadone and come in. I was down to 38mgs of methadone and it was 30 hours since last dose and they started giving me suboxone. They started me at 2 mgs(suboxone) at a time and when I told them I felt ill they would increase my suboxone dose by 2mgs and each dose I felt worse and worse. Here in the U.S. suboxone was relatively new and all they were doing was giving me precipitated wds more and more(I doubt intentionally but who knows).
You might have to white knuckle it for a few days in between to give yourself enough of a break from the methadone but IMO it's worth it. I was on methadone for 9 years and I was a slave to the clinic.
Best of luck!!!!!

I was surprised at the seamless transition I made from high dose (300+mgs oxycodone daily), I waited 25-26hrs before taking the initial 2mg suboxone then after 30mins another 4mgs so total of 6mgs first day as I was good to go!

I'm usually suffering restless limbs 15-16 hrs after my last dose of oxy, I should have been fucked the night before and morning of my initial sub dose but due to Lyrica I was fine, I was really worried about PWD due too not exhibiting enough WD symptoms but I was assured that if I had waited 24hrs I would be ok and I was.

With that long list of comfort meds it sounds like you'd be good to white knuckle it as suggested until it's "safe" to make the switch to bupe. Good luck and hope all works out for you. ��

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I'm definitely going to go down to 30mg of Methadone, and wait AT LEAST 72 hours.

But I have a question about this, say I'm 48 hours in, after being on 30mg, and I get incredibly sick, would I still have to wait the full 72 hours?
Because from what I understand, when you're in severe WD that's when you're supposed to take the Bupe, right?

Also, if withdrawal wont be as severe PASSED the 72 hour mark, I'll still ride it out until my withdrawal is severe enough.

Side note*
I'm not planning on going on Suboxone, I'm going on Subutex, pure Buperenorphine.

Does that change anything?

Last edited:
That's fine no blind taper... I get what you say. I think you're heading in a good direction. Just the freedom of getting away from the clinic scene and not having to see other addicts in various stages of recovery each day, unless you're doing group therapy our twelve steps obviously, really helped me to feel like a "normal human being" again.

I prefer methadone, but it's to difficult to access, so I to made the switch.

"Side note*
I'm not planning on going on Suboxone, I'm going on Subutex, pure Buperenorphine."

No issue, most induct on Subutex. I'm naloxone intolerant and still take straight bupe, but it's often difficult to get that from docs and insurance coverage in many cases.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
MC

what im saying is that the 50-72 hour figure is a ballpark estimate , if you decide to pop say 2 mg of subutex after 50 hours and it's 20 hours to early you are in for some misery. I had the same thing when switching from smack to bupe (mind you I was smoking about 2 grams a day) so it was prolly way too high a dose to step off also I had no benzos. My advice is really wait the max amount of time and try to bridge the gap with a big dose of diazepam and perhaps smoke some cannabis , it's very beneficial in withdrawal , even during my worst fent withdrawal (like 10 mg a day iv habit) it would make me feel normal for almost an hour after each joint.

oh and bupe will give you much more energy and you will be more focused/clear-headed than with methadone.

All very on point, ime.

I know u said u were worried about relapse on the methadone. Subutex isn't suboxone but from what I understand they are very similar maitenence drugs...been on subox 3 years...tried skipping a day & going down .25mg instead of the 1/2mg I'm on & came as close to relapse as I've ever been. if I could go back I never would have gotten on these & can't help but think how much better off id be...just thought I'd share what it was like attempting to go lower than I already am...relapse is my only real concern too : /

& yes if in full blown w/d's I believe there is no reason to worry about precipitated

Just a comment on the methadone taper part. I did almost that exact taper to come off of methadone, except I started at 80, did 5 mg a week to 50, 3 mg a week to 20 and then 1 mg per week til I was off. With the exception of stopping the taper for a couple weeks at 20 mg and then again at 4 mg ( for 3 weeks here, that was my only really tough adjustment), I never felt discomfort.

I wouldnt consider it a fast taper. I didn't pay too much attention to what week it was or what dose I was on, but it was not a blind taper and the mg was printed on take homes. I just thought it better not to focus on it.

Best advice I have is if you hit a dose where you don't feel comfortable, stop there to let your body adjust. Sometimes you need the extra week. Oh, and honestly--you're not going to need those benzos for the taper part. You're not even dropping beyond 30 mg. I didn't use anything, except occasional weed smoking, but that wasn't to relieve symptoms or anything. Save the benzos for the transition in case you need them, as someone suggested.

I know some people do it exactly how you are with the transition to bupe, I'm not really a fan of bupe and I don't want to deal with the switching so I prefer just the straight methadone detox. And when it's done like this it's basically painless. You'll be fine. The horror stories are from cold turkey withdrawal (yep I've done that too. Day and night)

Oh, as far as transition? I do know some people can switch after 2-3 days. Some have waited 5. These are people I know IRL not on here. Some get wd faster. Some barely do. But if you are truly in bad wd sooner than the recommended wait time you should be fine to induct. But wait as long as possible because the methadone really does take forever to come off those receptors!!

Good luck to you. Any help I can offer let me know. I'm decreasing as well but not on a taper yet, just 5 here and 5 there. I've dropped from 95 to 60 without one drop of discomfort. In fact, I couldn't even tell you I was on a lower dose unless I knew I'd requested drops lol

Edit: oh I forgot ... 30 mg of methadone is the max dose you can switch at. Really the range of 20-30 is what they are starting to prefer at my clinic and I can see why--that was right at the dose I noticed some minor wd. If you are comfortable on the methadone at 30 you may want to go down to 20 or 25 and induct there. Less bupe you'll need, so less to come off.
Or you can always do a straight methadone taper. At 1 mg per week it's very easy. But the options are yours. I just thought it might be good for you to get down to 20, as 30 is that line in the sand, so to speak

Last edited:
hi there, i've been on and off methadone for about 10 years. I think you will be just fine tapering down to 30mg with the meds you have listed. the benzos will be especially helpful, just be mindful that you could end up with a benzo dependence and I'm sure you don't want that. Good luck and like i said, you should be fine :)