• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids If the addict always has enough dope that he never goes sick - is the addiction bad?

Stay.Blazed.420

Bluelighter
I've been shooting down/opiates/morphine/hydromorphine(dilaudid)/heroin etc for almost 6 years. For the first 2 years of my addiction I struggled with acquiring and supporting the cost of my habit. I went to my doctor and he PRESCRIBED ME hydromorphone for 6 months @ 36mg. Then 6 months after that script ended I was waiting on the methadone wait list so i asked my doctor to help me out and give me another script while i waited for the methadone. I was prescribed three 8mg dilaudid tablets for 6 months. I then went on methadone for 7 months straight and quit. Then I was put BACK on the dilaudid 8s and one day when I went to pick them up the pharm told me that my doc switched me to Kadian (morphine sulphate) 100mg on a WITNESS dose. I've been on this shit now since december and I ALWAYS cheek it and go dry out the beads and crush em up an slam them. Only lately have they been checking my mouth but even then I just cram it all under my tongue.

My question is if my doc were to prescribe me an amount that not only suited my psychological addiction but also my physical addiction to the opiates and took away all forms of withdrawal then.... is that "issue solved"? Am I free to live secretly as a junkie for the rest of my life? Or is my doctor just causing me to only take longer to inevitably get off them?

My question is if my doc were to prescribe me an amount that not only suited my psychological addiction but also my physical addiction to the opiates and took away all forms of withdrawal then.... is that "issue solved"? Am I free to live secretly as a junkie for the rest of my life? Or is my doctor just causing me to only take longer to inevitably get off them?

That is the dream of all junkies right, to have a lifetime supply of dope? I would venture to say you probably already know the answer to your question. If you read The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx you see the other side of addiction, the terrible downward spiral from having an abundance of drugs on hand daily and never having to be sick. If I had a lifetime supply of opiates I know myself and I know I would lack the self control to not use them daily until the day I died.

I fear if that were the case though I would cease to be of any good use to my children, my family, my friends, or the world at large - and would probably wind up dead much quicker. Everyone is different though, but I would say you are chasing a pipe dream.

The thing is that tolerance is a bitch and you won't be satisfied with your doses anymore pretty soon which leads to taking more and/or mixing in other drugs.

Also long-time intake of opioids can cause depression by itself, not to mention all the other side-effects that come with them, especially with IV use there are multiple health issues included which speak for themselves.

It is an illusion to think that everything would be fine if one had just enough supply for the whole life.

But if you already accomplished everything important in life,raised your kids,being rich,then its theoretically possible to live a happier life the last 20-30 years when you buy lets say 5 kilo of 95%+ pure china white heroin and just be high 24/7.

Drs. can't maintain an addict. Damn shame too, life would better overall than depending on street drugs. There would have to be an honest attempt on the addicts part to get their life together.Bupe and methadone aside obviously.
If something like the system in Switzerland were to be tried here in the U S. the addict who has struggled for years,even decades,could start putting their lives back together, It is mu understanding that the Swiss have seen life-long addicts reduce their drug use and go back to being a productive member of society.
I don't see this happening in my lifetime. The anti-drug sentiment(read propaganda)runs deep. An entire
segment of government would need to be employed in something other than corrections and drug law-enforcement.

Last edited:
But if you already accomplished everything important in life,raised your kids,being rich,then its theoretically possible to live a happier life the last 20-30 years when you buy lets say 5 kilo of 95%+ pure china white heroin and just be high 24/7.
I don't care how good the dope is eventually you won't get high anymore it will just keep you well. I was using between 39- 52 stamped bags daily or awhile and yes I'd get that one rush during the day but the high was non existent just kept from being sick. Also eventually continued high opiate use you will get whats called dysphoria where you have uncontrollable anxiety,no satisfaction in life, and even pain can comeback.

Imagine what would happen if there were a natural disaster that made you unable to travel to the pharmacy or methadone clinic, you would be fucked. The same goes for vacation traveling, being dependent while overseas and risking running out of your supply or having your meds seized would be a nightmare. It is better to not have to be anchored to these places. I recently got off of 170mg methadone/day, while it was difficult in the beginning, I thank myself for removing the anchor which is dependency.

Not going to happen. You will never find a way to be satisifed forever. As suggested above you may find yourself in an emergency situation, stuck in a place without them, or unable to go somewhere because of it. Sure a lot of places allow you prescriptions but some dont. Life is way to long to be sustained forever, mark my words you will find yourself in a great deal of pain when your doctor gets slammed into by a bus and dies and everyone views you as an addict or some other thing.

All addicts dream of finding the way to sustain it forever the only ones who succeed are the ones that quit. I am just being realistic, kinda ;)

Imagine what would happen if there were a natural disaster that made you unable to travel to the pharmacy or methadone clinic, you would be fucked. The same goes for vacation traveling, being dependent while overseas and risking running out of your supply or having your meds seized would be a nightmare. It is better to not have to be anchored to these places. I recently got off of 170mg methadone/day, while it was difficult in the beginning, I thank myself for removing the anchor which is dependency.

I used to think about this ALL THE TIME. Like, if there was a nuclear holocaust and it was just me and my kid, like in The Road, and I had to protect her but I couldn't because I was like, dying from withdrawal and then we would both get eaten by cannibals. I used to literally lay awake nights and play out the scenario. Isn't that cray? Haha!

But yeah, for most of my addiction I didn't really have to struggle with money for dope, not until the last few months of it, and I still felt like shit all the time. My tolerance was through the roof, I would detox every month for at least a day so I could get high again, I ran out of veins, it just started to make me weary. And that was before money even became an issue.

Whoever said the thing about Nikki Sixx is right - I mean, he had zillions of dollars to spend on dope and was sitting in a dark closet in his mansion shooting dope all day.

Not to mention that I think polydrug addiction is really common with heroin addicts - like you start losing the rush so you add coke or crack to the mix, and then the party is really over with a quickness.

Its like when I had an endless benzo script - I could have had that for the rest of my life but I started getting weird depression and shit stopped working for me. That's how heroin was for me too - after a few years the glow wore off and I just because a sobbing mess all the time.

Maybe not bad for the addict but it would still be bad I think, like a food or cigarette addiction, or even alcohol. Still not good for society and your family and health...ahh but I like to dream about this for fun sometimes, and create little fantasies in my head about me being on an isolated island with an endless supply of dope and wifi in a cute cozy cabin! mmm, and some little furry critters.

^ And a woman, or a man depending on your preference. Oh and they must be clean of drugs, cos there's no sharing dope on the island. The powder is mine baby, don't bother nudging me awake for dinner the entree was enough for me.

That is the dream of all junkies right, to have a lifetime supply of dope? I would venture to say you probably already know the answer to your question. If you read The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx you see the other side of addiction, the terrible downward spiral from having an abundance of drugs on hand daily and never having to be sick. If I had a lifetime supply of opiates I know myself and I know I would lack the self control to not use them daily until the day I died.

I'm no carpenter, but, you hit the nail on the head.

Despite how much, or, of what you are using, given a lifetime bounty of whatever it is - your body prolly isn't meant to run on it.

Unless you're juicing carrots and freebasing kale or some shit.

I do think this is an interesting question. Of course, there are problems that arise from opiate addiction that don't have to do with running out of money and being sick. If you're injecting, there are a myriad of things that could go wrong (just read the case studies thread!). But I really do believe that the problem of addiction is HUGELY compounded by the illegality of it. I think it is better to live a sober life--at least for me, that is my ultimate goal. But at the end of the day, not everyone is up for that, and how can I judge what's right for someone else? Switzerland has been doing heroin-assisted treatment for quite a while now, and from what I understand the results have been spectacular. A lot of addicts actually start to become productive members of society when they don't have to worry about coming up with money to get dope.

I don't care how good the dope is eventually you won't get high anymore it will just keep you well. I was using between 39- 52 stamped bags daily or awhile and yes I'd get that one rush during the day but the high was non existent just kept from being sick. Also eventually continued high opiate use you will get whats called dysphoria where you have uncontrollable anxiety,no satisfaction in life, and even pain can comeback.

this. right here. this is what happens. anything else is a pipe dream.