• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos If smoking cigarettes decreases Xanax half-life, does it speed up withdrawal onset?

DreamofWinter

Bluelighter
Just curious. I'm a heavy smoker. Been on Xanax 40+ days and currently tapering off from a prescribed 0.5mg three times a day. The feeling I got from Xanax generally only lasted about an hour, before baseline anxiety returned and I waited for the next dose. Now, during the taper, I'm wondering if being a heavy smoker would speed up the onset of withdrawals, and also lower the time needed for the taper generally? Don't drink, don't do other drugs. This is my first time using Xanax.

Just curious. I'm a heavy smoker. Been on Xanax 40+ days and currently tapering off from a prescribed 0.5mg three times a day. The feeling I got from Xanax generally only lasted about an hour, before baseline anxiety returned and I waited for the next dose. Now, during the taper, I'm wondering if being a heavy smoker would speed up the onset of withdrawals, and also lower the time needed for the taper generally? Don't drink, don't do other drugs. This is my first time using Xanax.
Nicotine reduces the effects of alprazolam. That's as far as I know, I don't think it speeds up it's metabolism or the rate withdrawal kicks in

Nicotine reduces the effects of alprazolam. That's as far as I know, I don't think it speeds up it's metabolism or the rate withdrawal kicks in
I read that it reduces the absorption by up to 50%, so would that mean that taking 1.5mg per day I was only getting 0.75mg into my system? I'm wondering if at that low a dose, over such a short period, tapering is even needed

I read that it reduces the absorption by up to 50%, so would that mean that taking 1.5mg per day I was only getting 0.75mg into my system? I'm wondering if at that low a dose, over such a short period, tapering is even needed
I don't know about reducing it's absorption, but definitely reducing it's effects.

Only you will know if you need to taper, upon stopping alp abruptly did you get any withdrawal symptoms? This should be your guide, if you did, then assess if you can handle them without reinstating alp if not a taper may be required again listening to your body as a guide as to how fast to taper of

Check out benzobuddies.org a wealth of information on benzos

And the Ashton manual

I don't know about reducing it's absorption, but definitely reducing it's effects.

Only you will know if you need to taper, upon stopping alp abruptly did you get any withdrawal symptoms? This should be your guide, if you did, then assess if you can handle them without reinstating alp if not a taper may be required again listening to your body as a guide as to how fast to taper of

Check out benzobuddies.org a wealth of information on benzos

And the Ashton manual
I haven't abruptly stopped, although there were days when I took just 0.25mg. Some days I took more, some days less, but over the 40 something days it averaged 1.5mg a day. Since starting the period of tapering, I've either split the smaller doses through the day, or even just waited until later afternoon or just before bed to take my dose. I haven't noticed any change in physical or emotional states, other than my regular baseline anxiety that I already had for years anyway, and that those doses of xanax kind of turn the volume down on whenever taken.

I haven't abruptly stopped, although there were days when I took just 0.25mg. Some days I took more, some days less, but over the 40 something days it averaged 1.5mg a day. Since starting the period of tapering, I've either split the smaller doses through the day, or even just waited until later afternoon or just before bed to take my dose. I haven't noticed any change in physical or emotional states, other than my regular baseline anxiety that I already had for years anyway, and that those doses of xanax kind of turn the volume down on whenever taken.
From my personal experience, get of it as soon as you comfortable can. Remember the medical/ psychiatric condition you was prescribed it for will return upon stopping alp, and go see your GP regarding your anxiety. Benzos should really only be used for a really short period, and as emergency medication. Unless your Dr states otherwise.

From my personal experience, get of it as soon as you comfortable can. Remember the medical/ psychiatric condition you was prescribed it for will return upon stopping alp, and go see your GP regarding your anxiety. Benzos should really only be used for a really short period, and as emergency medication. Unless your Dr states otherwise.
Thanks. I have GAD, but manage it generally just through running and long walks. I've tried various antidepressants in the past for the GAD, but always reacted really badly to them. Years ago I self-medicated of an evening with booze, but that didn't end well, which is why I don't drink any more. I got prescribed the Xanax to get me through an acute personal crisis, which isn't over completely, but manageable now. Yeah, I'm terrified of addiction and withdrawal, as I experienced it with alcohol. I guess I will continue to lower my dose, listening to my body, and get off it as quickly as I can comfortably manage.