• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

If Ignorance is Bliss, what is Enlightenment?

Why do we assume that enlightenment exists if basically nobody experiences it?

Where is the evidence?

Is Enlightenment like God?
Do we need faith to believe?

Is Enlightenment God?

Enligtenment does not exist. God is already illumined. You simply just have to awaken to the fact yet everything goes on all the same you no longer suffer

I've read a lot of holy texts and philosophical texts and stuff written by the crazy wonderful people on this website (which, incidentally, fall into both categories)... I'm not convinced anybody is enlightened.

Buddha is probably my favourite.

ignorance is bliss is just a metaphor.
It’s also something else while still being a metaphor. Not a simile. I looked all through the wiki page and lots of that page’s children for figures of speech and couldn’t find it. Maybe I am making this up but my heart is disturbed by that conclusion, I was on the verge of something small but profound. Anyways, your were of no help here either, Mr. Brain Damage aka Dr. Methamphetamine Consequences.

I was reading your dialog here with @Twackademy and though some dharma transmission were overdue here. I made ready to give you my findings on what you call Self, which is nothing, nothing except bliss.

My personal findings I also gained through study and experience. My sources include enlightened bodies of knowledge we all have access to but my personal experiences are impossible to distill into that format, specifically those from Delerium Tremens induced NDE visions. I have learned from my master and the Buddha and Marcus Aurelius and The Beatles catalog and Pihkal & Tihkal and by living through my mortal fears not just once. There are also a few gifts of insight I received while metabolizing trace amounts of various phenethylamine compounds.

I listed off a few specifically to show I wasn’t someone who found any “answer” satisfactory at first, and needed some hard knocks and additional research down at “my endless bottom” before it began catalyzing anything of real value to me.

I’ve been meditating since 9:30 PM and I must have dozed off, I woke up not sitting up on my cushion but next to it in the fetal position, drooling a little. It was a few minutes to 1am and I said goodby to the comforting dream that was ebbing anyways. So it goes.

My minds eye has a kinda complex composition of what I might say here to feel of some use, and I sat down to post something and go back to sleep and maybe reunite with that feeling from the last dream I had been creating.

Fortunately I noticed updates to this thread, and saw I could cut outta lot of tweaker nonsense that you apparently have already covered in your various travels.
It's perfectly okay to be satiated with Samsara. You don't get anything for being enlightened. There's no reward at all. You don't get magical powers or radiate light. It all leads back here, to this present moment. Nothing gets transcended. But what is real is what is true, and what is true is loving, and that mitigates a lot of unnecessary suffering and time wasted on illusions. I find Samsaric endeavors to be a never ending hamster wheel that goes nowhere, and that's only because I've had nutso life experiences that showed me the truth, so much so that Samsara never compared again.
You sold me on my edits right here, as this has been my own experience with what must be enlightenment. I still don’t understand Transcendtal Meditation at all and that “hopping” nonsense is sillier than taking a bunch of tweakers and a pinch of rock salt and mixing with a large area of carpet.
All I'm after is the truth.
And the truth is, nothing is real, and we’ll need to keep finding that out to know it.
using the resonant bliss of Self to cut through all the trauma illusions
Yoink. Imma gonna need to steal that for my work here on Earth. I hope you have another. Perhaps you’d like to trade for a delicious six pack of your favorite beer?
Sorry for the novel. I've just been immersed in this stuff recently and it's good to write it out.
Isn’t it. You have a new reader buddy. Real good stuff when seen from my plane.

Where is the evidence?

Is Enlightenment God?
Holy shit are you the reincarnation of @acklac7? That sounds like how his latest delusions manifest.

These are great questions. I love it.

I've seen you say this word before.

Difference between illumined and enlightened?
nope. Buddha had a amazing journey sadly his teachings were not written down for a long time and thus got corrupted along the way so much infact that i believe some monks in the 10th century declared Buddhism totally corrupted and no way back. Though i think the zen schools are fine. There are many schools which are heavily corrupted. Problem with religion though it gives a certain class of people power and power corrupts that society and it turns into a tool to control the masses.

Where is the evidence?

Is Enlightenment God?
Not true. Enlightening experiences or enlightenment (I guess) is experiential. I wouldn't consider it fact-based myself. What would that look like? I couldn't explain it

The best explanation I can give you is that it's like staring out a window and then opening the window. You don't even need human vision anymore because everything's before you and within reach. This everything might be what you need, it might be everything you wondered about but it's now resolved in your mind all at once

Having said that I couldn't say it's all one experience and that everybody's experiences match mine. Maybe there's some ultimate truth I haven't found yet like transcendental meditation

Where is the evidence?

Is Enlightenment God?

Everyone is already enlightened. The question is why people aren't seeing it. This is your enlightened life -- this very present moment. It's not out there somewhere. It's the real you. You don't have to find it, it's just a matter of perspective -- one that you probably have be taught unless you have a spontaneous awakening.

The evidence is already within your consciousness. There are systems out there that can show you. They won't teach you crap, they'll just point you to what is already there. I guess I have to ask -- what evidence would you like?

The main problem is ignorance. People don't know what they don't know. They learned falsities first and then assumed those falsities were real. It's not their fault, everyone does it when they're born.

Faith is a false self, but it can be a launching off point. No enlightenment without desire, but desire must be released to become Satvic. Faith without eventual evidence is blind and enlightenment is eye opening. None of the objects in the world matter, like faith. You don't hold onto anything when seeing the truth. You don't need to trust it's there, it already is!

Enlightenment is God. Yes.

Your opening statement is 100% correct. Nobody experiences enlightenment. Experiences come and go. Enlightenment is not temporary. It's not an object.

The evidence is already within your consciousness. There are systems out there that can show you. They won't teach you crap, they'll just point you to what is already there. I guess I have to ask -- what evidence would you like?

The main problem is ignorance. People don't know what they don't know. They learned falsities first and then assumed those falsities were real. It's not their fault, everyone does it when they're born.

Faith is a false self, but it can be a launching off point. No enlightenment without desire, but desire must be released to become Satvic. Faith without eventual evidence is blind and enlightenment is eye opening. None of the objects in the world matter, like faith. You don't hold onto anything when seeing the truth. You don't need to trust it's there, it already is!

Enlightenment is God. Yes.

Your opening statement is 100% correct. Nobody experiences enlightenment. Experiences come and go. Enlightenment is not temporary. It's not an object.
I think it's different for each person. I'd say seeing my subconscious manifest outside my immediate surroundings is enlightenment, but that's a highly personal explanation of my experiences when I was enlightened. I wouldn't call myself enlightened. Just that I've had enlightened experiences

Admittedly I've wondered if people who reach nirvana reach a state of permanent enlightenment

I think it's different for each person. I'd say seeing my subconscious manifest outside my immediate surroundings is enlightenment, but that's a highly personal explanation of my experiences when I was enlightened. I wouldn't call myself enlightened. Just that I've had enlightened experiences

Admittedly I've wondered if people who reach nirvana reach a state of permanent enlightenment

The path there may be different for each person but all paths ultimately lead to the same place, which is why certain systems of guidance can describe various aspects of the path.

I’m gonna answer this by supposing that ignorance is indeed bliss

Then enlightenment is ideally something dual and opposite to bliss. in my experience this would be suffering.

learning to love the suffering is probably the greatest challenge a human can face. And of course, you can never truly beat they challenge once and for all. Only temporarily. Like when you sit down and study something new, or do intense exercise, or any other thing that takes willpower. Triumph over those tasks isn’t gonna enlighten you, but in that very moment of doing the work, you may experience it for a fleeting second

Gormur said:
Monks don't really live in seclusion though. Don't they interact with the local community, have fundraisers and sell vegetables? Maybe it depends on where they're based. I guess you mean they live a minimalistic life

I wouldn't consider that wise at all. But if we don't know their hearts how can we say that they're selfish? Maybe they're selfless even if that seems wrong to us

Relative seclusion... and yeah it totally depends on the monk. If you live in an extremely remote location, like many monks do, your ability to interact with people is pretty limited. I meant selfish in comparison to people who devote their lives to others. Monks appear to devote their lives to themselves, more or less.

Foreigner said:
If you can unify that paradox, then you're enlightened.

Are you enlightened?

If so, did you get there with the aide of drugs or through some other method?

Foreigner said:
The few people on this planet who are the Real Self "I" talking all the time

How do you know there are any?

I find your posts beyond and inside this thread interesting.

I wonder if being enlightened (and sustaining that) is truly more fulfilling than living a normal flawed human life. I suspect people can know too much. I think we're ignorant for a reason. I'm not super familiar with the world of gurus and enlightenment, but - from what I've seen - it doesn't strike me as something I want.

Foreigner said:
ignorance is bliss is just a metaphor. Ignorant people don't actually experience bliss.

I don't know. Being too smart can be pretty miserable. I find it blissful to turn my brain off sometimes.

PriestTheyCalledHim said:
I am not sure, but I know that people who claim to be 'enlightened' by drugs-usually psychedelics but I have seen it happen with cocaine and METH, or in other ways 99% of the time are not, and often times it is their ego or narcissistic personality disorder speaking.

Indeed. I've met many, many psychonauts who claim to be enlightened but if you dig into their claims they haven't really thought any of it through. I've also been in that state - the Jesus complex - and believed that I had the answers to the universe... I certainly gained some knowledge from psychedelics but I also lost some perspective along the way. Everything is a give and take, I think. It's hard to move forwards without moving backwards.

TripSitterNZ said:
we are already enlightened

I'm not sure what you mean.
Doesn't that render the term meaningless?

Gormur said:
I don't feel the need to add the word spiritual to ideas
Foreigner said:
The word "spiritual" carries people to a lot of wrong places

I feel the same about the word enlightenment and the word God.

Foreigner said:
I would say if you don't feel a real draw to this, then don't bother. Just live out your temporary meaningful life and be happy with chasing objects.

You mentioned the world of objects a number of times throughout your posts. Is it possible (do you think) for people to exist in between: to shun materialism and enlightenment? The picture you're painting appears to be somewhat monochromatic.

Gormur said:
I'm not sure if she was enlightened but she claimed such things

Do enlightened people say "I am enlightened"? It doesn't seem like an enlightened thing to say, for some reason. I'm not sure why. Maybe it is just ego I am projecting onto it.

Gormur said:
I don't tell people, or not in everyday conversations anyway that I've reached enlightened stages. Maybe that's best though since I got there by using sheets of LSD and astral projecting.

I'm not at all convinced that LSD (or any drug) leads to enlightenment. I've certainly had profound spiritual revelations. I claimed to be a prophet when I was abusing psychedelic drugs, but I would never claim to be enlightened.

Something that bothers me about the idea of enlightenment is the idea that there is an ultimate achievement. I mean, where do you go from there?

Like if a monk (yes, I realize I keep going back to monks) was to spend decades meditating and they achieved a fully enlightened state... then what do they do?

TripSitterNZ said:
You simply just have to awaken to the fact yet everything goes on all the same you no longer suffer

Do you suffer?

Gormur said:
Having said that I couldn't say it's all one experience and that everybody's experiences match mine.

Foreigner said:
I guess I have to ask -- what evidence would you like?

Good question.

I quoted Gormur because I guess the only evidence that would make sense is some kind of consensus among enlightened people. Everybody seems to have a different take on it, which confuses me. Sort of like religion.

I wonder if extremely autistic people or people with late stage dementia can be (or are) enlightened.

If enlightenment is a "shedding" of sorts and you don't have anything to shed, are you already enlightened?

Is a tree enlightened?

I'm going to try my best to answer some of this. I'm really ill right now and dealing with another possible death spiral.

In the future, when you reply to me, could you just quote me and nobody else? It makes it easier for me to reply directly to what you're asking me. It's hard to parse out all the right quotes. Thanks.

Are you enlightened?

If so, did you get there with the aide of drugs or through some other method?

No, not yet, but there's an understanding of what it is. It has taken years.

How do you know there are any?

Enlightened people have a presence that is undeniable. Their consciousness, their energy, their words, are 100% crystal clear. Their presence transmits their message with few words. And the words they use, are precise and demonstrate pure direct experience that is free from concepts.

A lot of people in the world have had primary realization but they have not dissolved all of the objects which cloud their consciousness from seeing the truth on a regular basis. As a result, their presence, energy and transmission feels like someone who really knows something but is telling it to you through murky waters.

I find your posts beyond and inside this thread interesting.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

I wonder if being enlightened (and sustaining that) is truly more fulfilling than living a normal flawed human life. I suspect people can know too much. I think we're ignorant for a reason. I'm not super familiar with the world of gurus and enlightenment, but - from what I've seen - it doesn't strike me as something I want.

Drop wonder. Drop theories. Drop thinking. Drop knowing or not knowing. Drop whatever it is you think enlightenment is, because enlightenment isn't thinking. These are examples of objects that cloud pure experience.

You are pure experience that experiences a person who is having these thoughts. Enlightenment is none of these "things". They are all dream constructs.

I don't know. Being too smart can be pretty miserable. I find it blissful to turn my brain off sometimes.

Yes. Knowing a lot of things doesn't really lead to liberation, if those things don't direct you to pure awareness.

If the goal is enlightenment, then anything that isn't pointing a person to the truth is just making them more confused.

Indeed. I've met many, many psychonauts who claim to be enlightened but if you dig into their claims they haven't really thought any of it through. I've also been in that state - the Jesus complex - and believed that I had the answers to the universe... I certainly gained some knowledge from psychedelics but I also lost some perspective along the way. Everything is a give and take, I think. It's hard to move forwards without moving backwards.

Like anything, psychedelics can only point to something, they can't take you there. Psychedelics create an infinitude of more confusing objects that make this matter more murky. They also "feel good" and people end up pursuing euphoria as evidence of truth of consciousness.

Pure awareness is neutral.

I'm not sure what you mean.
Doesn't that render the term meaningless?

Yes it does. It's why TS and I clash a lot. I know what he's trying to say... he's trying to say that the pure experience is already evident and available. It's already there, right now.

But most people have not dissolved the objects in their awareness sufficiently to see that pure truth.

So I find it most unhelpful to tell people that they are already enlightened. It helps people by making them see they don't need to go out and "get something" to make it happen, it's already in them; but it doesn't give them instruction that points them to the direct experience. So it's an essentially useless statement that no real teacher would convey as a stand-alone thing.

I feel the same about the word enlightenment and the word God.

They're just words. Concepts. Thoughts. Objects. They arise and they dissolve.

The truth is always there. It's not a concept.

You mentioned the world of objects a number of times throughout your posts. Is it possible (do you think) for people to exist in between: to shun materialism and enlightenment? The picture you're painting appears to be somewhat monochromatic.

That's not what I mean by objects.

When you go to sleep and dream, the dream is full of a world of objects. They are very convincing. You think it's real until you wake up. When you wake up, you say, "That was just a dream", but it's not commonly interrogated further.

The only thing in a dream that is not a dream, is the dreamer. The dreamer is the pure awareness, pure existence. Existence is its intrinsic property, just like heat is intrinsic to fire. We would never say fire is cold. When you heat a pot of water with fire, the pot obtains its heat from the fire, but you would not say that the pot is fire. When the pot is removed from fire, it cools down again.

Similarly, in a dream, all of the objects in the dream "borrow" their existence from the dreamer. The world of objects is lit up by the real Self. One of those objects is a person/character (you) in the dream who experiences the world of objects. But we know these objects aren't real because they can dissolve instantly. The only thing real is the awareness having a pure experience.

This is the truth of all of reality. There is only one thing happening, it just looks like many things because the many-things are being lit up by the one-thing. To put it another way, the subject-object relationship isn't real. There is only one subject relating to a multitude of fake objects that are lit up by itself. The one subject is the Self.

Do enlightened people say "I am enlightened"? It doesn't seem like an enlightened thing to say, for some reason. I'm not sure why. Maybe it is just ego I am projecting onto it.

It doesn't really serve disciples to dwell on the word enlightenment or its meanings. Enlightenment is just another object. The only thing a teacher can do is use precise language or methods to point people to direct experience. But the catch is, any tool that is used to point to it, must be let to go of, otherwise direct experiencing becomes clouded by yet another ego.

The pursuit of enlightenment can be an object that hinders enlightenment because if it's not released, it creates another spiritual ego. Most enlightened people speak in language the immediately points people to the real Self, to pure awareness. Everything else dissolves.

This is all to say... that people who walk around claiming they are enlightened all the time, can't possibly be, because there is no person who becomes enlightened.

I'm not at all convinced that LSD (or any drug) leads to enlightenment. I've certainly had profound spiritual revelations. I claimed to be a prophet when I was abusing psychedelic drugs, but I would never claim to be enlightened.

In general, psychedelics create more confusion. Most wisdom traditions shy away from drug use because they tend to create more spiritual egos.

Something that bothers me about the idea of enlightenment is the idea that there is an ultimate achievement. I mean, where do you go from there?

Like if a monk (yes, I realize I keep going back to monks) was to spend decades meditating and they achieved a fully enlightened state... then what do they do?

Do you suffer?

This part is difficult to explain because it can only lead to more conceptual thinking, but try to remember that it's not a concept, it's a direct experience of pure awareness.

The nature of reality is nondual. Once a person has sublimated all of the objects of the world of appearance into the singular subject of Self, they can then form a new identity which is only that real Self. They can literally speak as "I" but they are speaking as pure awareness, not as "person". For most of us, the person we are arises and dissolves from awareness, it's not permanent or fixed. When we say "I" it could refer to any number of temporary ego constructions. But the Realized "I" is constant, pure, and unchanging.

Enlightenment doesn't stop pain, but it stops suffering. The reason is that suffering can only happen if a person is happening who experiences suffering as a narrative. Pure awareness does not suffer because it can't attach to anything. Only attachment to objects causes suffering.

So when the subject-object relationship ceases and the enlightened person is just pure subject, then the whole reality construct can be summed up as:

I am none of it.
I am all of it.

A lot of people who take psychedelics think they know this, but they don't, because they aren't embodied in their human level experience. They are bypassed into "oneness" and oneness becomes a spiritual ego that is used to negate everything. It's ungrounded and disembodied.

Direct experience of pure awareness is nondual and 100% present. It leads back to right now and there is no transcendence or no person "trying to get it".

We've all had this direct experience from time to time. Most people misattribute it to something else. Or they pursue objects in the world that "make them feel this way" because they don't see that the object is being lit up by them. They think the object is separate from them and giving them an experience. Ignorance is the biggest obstacle. Once you know what is being pointed to and all misattributions are cleared away, liberation and relief are instantly had.

Good question.

I quoted Gormur because I guess the only evidence that would make sense is some kind of consensus among enlightened people. Everybody seems to have a different take on it, which confuses me. Sort of like religion.

I wonder if extremely autistic people or people with late stage dementia can be (or are) enlightened.

If enlightenment is a "shedding" of sorts and you don't have anything to shed, are you already enlightened?

Is a tree enlightened?

Nobody controls anything because nobody becomes enlightened. Nobody does anything. That's the irony of it. You spend all these years trying to figure out what enlightenment is, only to discover that the one seeking it is irrelevant to the question. Nobody is making it happen. There's no reason for enlightened people to get together and form an enlightenment people's club because enlightenment is a wrong concept. Only true teachings point to truths. Enlightenment as a concept is mental masturbation that leads nowhere. It's a real term and we talk about it. People become enlightened. It's a thing. But talking about enlightenment is not how people become enlightened. Talking about the nature of consciousness and reality, and doing it with people who really know this stuff, while avoiding fakes and phonies who are themselves so confused, is how you get clear.

Let go of all your endless wondering. It's not a trick. The truth doesn't require you to do anything to get it. The mind can never understand it. The mind is only an obstacle.

I like Vedanta because a really good teacher can word things in such a way that the mind gets pointed to direct experience and then the mind dissolves. I need that type of teaching. The yoga path doesn't work for me because it uses somatics (the body) to bring Samadhi (divine union) down to the earthly level in the day to day. Eventually the mind gently lets go because of all the somatic input. However, the mind remains in ignorance the entire time, until it is dissolved. The yogic path is legit and works for a lot of people but it's not for me.

My mind is too wounded and too tenacious. I need teachings that speak directly to mind and get it to let go. That's what Vedanta does.

Last edited:
@Foreigner

Well I must say (in my sober state) I find some of what you said a tad confusing/inconsistent. I will return to this thread at another point and try to make sense of it all. I do understand that what you're trying to describe here is essentially ineffable and I apply that to religion also. I think words are incompatible with enlightenment. Words are also incompatible with God (although, come to think of it, maybe there is no difference between God and enlightenment). My point is: I understand that it is extremely difficult to translate something into language if it cannot be translated and I appreciate the effort on your part. You certainly are an interesting specimen. If I was an alien, I imagine I would be very keen to dissect your brain.

@Foreigner

Well I must say (in my sober state) I find some of what you said a tad confusing/inconsistent. I will return to this thread at another point and try to make sense of it all. I do understand that what you're trying to describe here is essentially ineffable and I apply that to religion also. I think words are incompatible with enlightenment. Words are also incompatible with God (although, come to think of it, maybe there is no difference between God and enlightenment). My point is: I understand that it is extremely difficult to translate something into language if it cannot be translated and I appreciate the effort on your part. You certainly are an interesting specimen. If I was an alien, I imagine I would be very keen to dissect your brain.

Sometimes I feel like I could benefit from a lobotomy.