• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

If I throw up after taking oral codeine will I throw up the codeine and waste it?

Patrickforsterter

Bluelighter
Hi so I'm just gonna jump straight in here and get to the point

I've had some toothache from help today so I took twice my daily dose(pure codeine tablets with nothing in them but codeine lactose and binders if it matter I also always dissolve my tablets now to because I'm paranoid about getting them stuck in mythroat) I did 260 mg in the morning then decided to take 230 then lied down however the stomach ache and urge to throw up became to much so I sat up grabbed the bucket and threw up now heres my question..

when I was throwing I tasted the bitter codeine taste in my mouth which made me think did I just throw up my dose?? I know people always say throw up and you will feel better but they never mention when you taking it oral weather or not you end up losing any when you throw up because obviously throwing up pushes your stomach contents up and this would probably include my codeine solution which i drank approx 15 to twenty minutes before I threw up I do feel a ton better after throwing up and my toothache has gone away but just though I would ask this whole it was still in my head I've also thrown up a few times before on codeine and also been worried about losing any it's another reason that I always dissolve the pills and drink them in water so they absorb faster I've noticed that the prescription strength ones I have take longer to effect me vs the otc cocodomal cwe liquid which usually takes only 20 minutes and sometimes has that nice rush we all know and love.

You probably lost some, but it depends on how long you waited before puking. I've before picked pills out of my puke and taken them again >.>. Best avoid the whole ordeal by taking some benadryl with your dose or if you don't like the sedation some ginger gravol.

^ Try 20mg Cetirizine. Or in the U.K., I think you can just get hydroxyzine, the best option (and it produces cetirizine as an an active metabolite!)

Cetirizine is non drowsy, and has a decent duration; however it isn't as effective an antiemetic as diphenhydramine, although it do shouldn't 2D, or codiene conversion to morphine

Hydroxyzine is the best option; great for nausea, and the histamine release from large doses of codiene

The first dose was likely absorbed; the second part of the dose, the 230, some was likely lost; codiene is quickly absorbed on an empty stomach though, 15 minutes is cutting it close, although dissolving your tablets help. Unfortunately we have no way of truly knowing, just providing the stats, or in this case mostly basic info, and treatments to help prevent nausea or reduce/eliminate it in the future, to prevent such a thing

(BTW, that is what I tell the layperson Pickledemons, pretty much always carry either Benadryl or Hydroxyzine on me mostly for that purpose. Always loved opioids, though as got older they did not always want to agree with my stomach!) Promethazine is good in a pinch, although it is a 2D inhibitor, so the dose should probably be kept on the lower end, and you can't take multiple doses, at least with codiene and other prodrugs like tramadol; with Morphine and Hand Oxy, knock yourself out(not literally ;) )

Than you Lorne I think your right that's why I could taste it but I felt a lot better after getting it all up though and my toothache went away

I did it again last night got impatient and took my whole blister pack 750 mg plus I had some earlier I had promethazine to but that didn't seem to help much anyway today I've had 180 mg codeine and gonna wait and wait for them to effect me before I have anymore idk my body seems to take way longer to process the 30 mg tablets than it used to idk why obviously I've gotta find the sweet spot dose where I get nice and high but not sick and end up throwing up my dose I'm gonna give it another ten min then I'm taking 150 mg

May I ask a probably stupid and NOOB question? Why are some members taking 100s and 100s of mgs of codeine a day instead of a stronger pain med like oxy, morphine like hydrocodone? Do doctors in other countries believe it's better to prescribe 500 mgs of codeine a day versus maybe 60mgs of oxycodone?

I realize some countries do not use hydrocodone but I thought oxy and morphine was relatively common.

Just curious. I took codeine when I was younger for dental work and hated it. I felt like a zombie and that I wasn't capable of handling daily duties, and that was 30mgs 3xdaily for 3 or 4 days.

you can buy codeine over the counter in some countries.

when i used opiates, you could still get it over the counter. i used to buy these packs of 100 tablets with 10mg codeine, and paracetamol - a gram, assuming you don't lose too much in a cold water extraction.
legal opiates are legal opiates though - and black market opiates cost a lot in australia.

also, just speaking from experience - when i sought out opiates as a youngster, i didn't necsessarily know other people who used that shit, let alone sell it.
so it meant you could 'cop' some codeine without any shady drug dealer hustle, or having to know the right people - or even to use it sometimes without developing a reputation for being a smackhead because you hang out with smackheads.
i don't give a fuck about that shit, but some people do - and certainly in my wider social circle heroin (for example) is highly stigmatised)

this made codeine good and bad - because if i was trying to stop using it, the temptation was always there - i couldn't just delete the supplier's number from my phone, or move out of town (unless i totally went bush).

most people who don't have a tolerance for stronger stuff still get high off codeine, it's not useless for them like it is for people who use dope or whatever else.

so, i'm not advocating its use - i sort of wisd just telling you why i used to use it, but i'm no longer in this position, because codeine was scheduled as a prescription-only medication.

but even still - for years it was as easy as going into a pharmacy and buying a gram of codeine (dispersed through 100 OTC pain pills with paracetamol/APAP).
you're right though - for all those years it was so accessible, but i only ever used it when i was desperate, because it's just not that great an opiate.

Last edited:
May I ask a probably stupid and NOOB question? Why are some members taking 100s and 100s of mgs of codeine a day instead of a stronger pain med like oxy, morphine like hydrocodone? Do doctors in other countries believe it's better to prescribe 500 mgs of codeine a day versus maybe 60mgs of oxycodone?

I realize some countries do not use hydrocodone but I thought oxy and morphine was relatively common.

Just curious. I took codeine when I was younger for dental work and hated it. I felt like a zombie and that I wasn't capable of handling daily duties, and that was 30mgs 3xdaily for 3 or 4 days.
I am prescribed 8 30 mg tablets I used to be prescribed 4 tablets a day but this just wasn't doing it in response to ur question/statement I would much rather be on high doses of codeine than moving up to another harder opiate that I'm not familiar with i can't speak for other users codeine should be respected like any opiate that's what I've learned it's not really something you can do all day everyday good luck trying that

If you puke from an Opi this means you are not adjusted to this compound and you will not get full effects either, codeine is not at all a strong Opi, if you do not puke from stronger Opi maybe you are allergic to codeine? look for red dots on arms/hands or so in that case...

Kratom extract like red vein bali 20x golden is much more like a good Opi, tho it's not, than codeine is...

Morphine is great, Oxy can give euphoria and is 2.5 times stronger than Morphine yet not really sedative, more energy present which is not so fun if you're looking for the real Opi effect! Or you should take doses that are too much and will you make pass out... Rather the less strong yet more sedative Vicodin for me then!

Still, good, fent-free H4 is the real Queen and H3 the best second...

Opium contains still a lot codeine if it's not purified so smoking from your own papaver somniferum each year is not recommended if allergic to codeine...

A good tho smooth, not that strong however the best opi rc i know: o-dsmt, still quite legal many places! and not seen as harmful, not expecting to be so in the long run neither!

Last edited:
If you puke from an Opi this means you are not adjusted to this compound and you will not get full effects either, codeine is not at all a strong Opi, if you do not puke from stronger Opi maybe you are allergic to codeine? look for red dots on arms/hands or so in that case...

Kratom extract like red vein bali 20x golden is much more like a good Opi, tho it's not, than codeine is...

Morphine is great, Oxy can give euphoria and is 2.5 times stronger than Morphine yet not really sedative, more energy present which is not so fun if you're looking for the real Opi effect! Or you should take doses that are too much and will you make pass out... Rather the less strong yet more sedative Vicodin for me then!

Still, good, fent-free H4 is the real Queen and H3 the best second...

Opium contains still a lot codeine if it's not purified so smoking from your own papaver somniferum each year is not recommended if allergic to codeine...

A good tho smooth, not that strong however the best opi rc i know: o-dsmt, still quite legal many places! and not seen as harmful, not expecting to be so in the long run neither!
I'm defo not allergic I've been taking it for years I have cut down a lot over the winter though.

Look at it this way. At the Methadone clinic, they will only give you another dose if you throw up within 5 minutes of ingestion. So, this is ultimately a smaller volume of liquid than I imagine you are working with, but I really would think 15-20 minutes is perfect. I wish I understood how this worked, but, say you chug some Whiskey, you feel the buzz, yet you throw up 5 minutes later. You taste the liquor, yet, you're feeling the full effect. Interesting...

Look at it this way. At the Methadone clinic, they will only give you another dose if you throw up within 5 minutes of ingestion. So, this is ultimately a smaller volume of liquid than I imagine you are working with, but I really would think 15-20 minutes is perfect. I wish I understood how this worked, but, say you chug some Whiskey, you feel the buzz, yet you throw up 5 minutes later. You taste the liquor, yet, you're feeling the full effect. Interesting...
wow that is very interesting theirs loads of stuff I bet we still don't know about how drugs are absorbed or other effects they may have I guess genes have a lot to do with it anyway I'd have thought this would have been talked about a lot as vomiting on opiates happens to everyone like what would a hardcore veteran do about this problem if ur smoking it or injecting them u ain't gotta worry about throwing up and wasting ur dope but taking codeine and sometimes dhc I don't have that luxury but surely the thousands of other pain pill poppers veterans would have thought about this because it's potentially very scary throwing up and wasting all that codeine, oxy or what not I'm sure there are threads/discussions about this issue but I couldn't find any I'd appreciate any links to these.

Please mind my bad grammar or any rambling shitty keyboard+drugs=?

I've been on painkillers for probably 15 years or so and I've never thrown up. I've been on Fentanyl and dilaudid and oxymorphone and I'm currently on methadone, Etc. I also take Oxy IR and Norco everyday. Perhaps my dosages are not high enough or maybe it's because I take them with water and I don't shoot them up, I don't know. The only time I ever throw up is from a migraine. Sorry. I haven't seen many threads about people throwing up pain pills.

I've been on painkillers for probably 15 years or so and I've never thrown up. I've been on Fentanyl and dilaudid and oxymorphone and I'm currently on methadone, Etc. I also take Oxy IR and Norco everyday. Perhaps my dosages are not high enough or maybe it's because I take them with water and I don't shoot them up, I don't know. The only time I ever throw up is from a migraine. Sorry. I haven't seen many threads about people throwing up pain pills.

Vomiting is by no means a universal symptom of Opioid intoxication. As you've implied in your own experience, it doesn't happen to everyone. Everybody has their limit though and just like having too much to drink, I think the likelihood of vomiting increases in a linear fashion the more intoxicated you become.