• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc If I Ask My Doctor to Prescribe Me Thalidomide Will He Think I am A Crazy?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Just to preface this, I am male (very important, obviously)

I've tried just about every anti-anxiety medication known to man at this point and while two have worked amazingly (Lorazepam and Phenobarbital) the only non-benzo-or-barbiturate thing that really works with any success is Thorazine (Chlorpromazine). But I have been on everything you can imagine. My anxiety is especially bad right now...like I'm even waking up in the middle of the night in a full-on panic, grabbing several Thorazine pills (which I have taken to keeping on my bedside table).

Again, aside from benzo's and barbiturates which you just cannot get prescribed in the UK (especially as I have a known history of addiction), Thalidomide may be the only sedative I *haven't* tried? Given I'm male, it should be totally safe...but I don't wanna come across as...I dunno...just with the stigma around the drug.

Should I just ask and see what he says?

I know doctor's can prescribe medications on a discretionary basis - I have hyperhydrosis which gets bad in the summer. I researched medications used in other countries and asked my doctor if I could try one of them - the medication is not listed on the NHS guidelines for this use, but they agreed to prescribe it after I presented my research. I did have to sign a waiver though.

I seriously doubt they would prescribe something with that kind of stigma. Hell after seeing a guy who was in my swim class who was a sufferer of thalidomide i would think hard of prescribing it even.

I have heard that it is a decent sedative and is being used again at times. However, read this link. I don't think an everyday doctor would jump through all the hoops. I didn't know it got in your semen as well.

I know doctor's can prescribe medications on a discretionary basis - I have hyperhydrosis which gets bad in the summer. I researched medications used in other countries and asked my doctor if I could try one of them - the medication is not listed on the NHS guidelines for this use, but they agreed to prescribe it after I presented my research. I did have to sign a waiver though.
I also have hyperhydrosis, it makes be dread summer. I feel for you.

Thanks man - how do you manage yours?

I tried Oxybutynin for a while, which is an anticholinergic - mostly given to old people who can't control their bladder. But yeah, it stops you producing sweat, urine, even saliva so you get a really dry mouth. But then I started getting intense bouts of vertigo, it was so strange, they would just come in waves like every 30 seconds or so, it was horrible.

The more research I did, I found it these drugs can lead to alzheimers - basically older patients who took them became a lot more confused, but when they were taken off the medication their cognitive functions returned.

So yeah, I stopped taking it - now I just use the really high grade anti-perspirants, but they itch like crazy!

I wouldn't. That's a strange thing to request. You could phrase it like; "I was researching anxiety and people have had success with thalidomide".
Have you any sourves the show it could be effective?

Yeah, that's definitely a much better way of approaching the idea!
Yes, there's plenty of sources/studies as it actually is a sedative and was initially used for anxiety and insomnia before later also being used for morning sickness. I'll print of some of that stuff to take with me just in case 'cause, while it IS a medication listed as currently available from the NHS, I'd imagine it's use is very rare so GPs might not know much about it.

Awesome! I'll definitely do what @axe battler suggested and take in some research/studies with me.

I seriously doubt they would prescribe something with that kind of stigma. Hell after seeing a guy who was in my swim class who was a sufferer of thalidomide i would think hard of prescribing it even.

It's only dangerous due to the severe birth defects it can cause. I'm a man so it's 100% safe for me to take as I obviously cannot get pregnant.

Ah, I feel for you both. I developed secondary hyperhydrosis while I was on methadone and it was a nightmare. In the summer I'd be dripping just from a 5 minute slow walk and I'd have to shower and change my underwear and tshirt multiple times a day.

I have heard that it is a decent sedative and is being used again at times. However, read this link. I don't think an everyday doctor would jump through all the hoops. I didn't know it got in your semen as well.

Yeah, I found that crazy, too. That it can affect a foetus just because the man's who's sperm fertilized the egg was taking it! But, again, totally safe for me as I'm both gay and not currently sexually active.