• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Ideolo-What!

pk.

Bluelighter
Hai there! I was just wondering whether there were any other unfortunate souls (no credence clear water) who were having difficulty studying in a Western-biased learning environment. Like shit dude, they keep teaching me shit which is completely contrary to my beliefs and it shits me to tears. How do you deal with it; halp!

I think studying things contrary to your set of beliefs is necessary for strengthening those beliefs. If your perception of the world goes unchallenged or unquestioned then you're really not making much progress. Similarly, I think it's important to learn not only from a classroom with four walls with a lecturer up front and a quiet class taking notes or falling asleep, but to use many different methods and environments. For most people in the west, this would involve stepping out of the western way of thinking and into something entirely different. For someone more interested in alternative ideas and learning environments, this might involve sitting in a classroom learning about western ideas ;)

lul I hear you dude; I'm still trapped in the progress or not camp. Like progress is certain future failure but it provides nice living conditions in the mean time, whilst staying in the Now is perfection and cannot be surpassed and strengthens the human character rather than finding solutions externally... Yeah, I don't know it's all good, just living and learning, I'll be dead soon anyway ;)

I'd like to also add that we have a text book : Inventing Adulthoods - not exactly the pluralistic free will philosophy the figures of Western society hoped for imo...