• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Ideas of things to do other than drugs?

ahint

Bluelighter
Hi. I wasn't ever addicted, but I definitely enjoyed getting high now and again and the idea of spending the rest of my life sober is beyond depressing. I started developing psychotic symptoms (hallucinations, voices, occasional delusions, inability to make facial expressions and enjoy stuff, etc). I'm under the care of a psychosis team and I'm fully complying with treatment so I'm optimistic things are gonna get better, but I can't hack drugs anymore - every time I try and smoke weed it gets way worse, and I had the worst time with a hangover too. I'm gonna assume ketamine and 2c-b (the other drugs I liked) are off limits too.

Anyway everything seems so boring and the idea of spending my entire life sober just seems incredibly dull.

Does anyone have any ideas about fun activities to do sometimes? All I can think of off the top of my head is meditation and exercise.

Thanks for reading. Please be gentle with criticism if it's necessary.

Hey man, sorry to hear what your going through. I had to quit everything from opiates to weed cold turkey for probation and got about a month left. I would say exercise obviously but you said you already know that. Another thing would be hang out with friends. If you dont have any (don't worry, I isolated everyone when I went to college, now i dropped out for a major surgery and lost all my contacts for both places), then I would just watch TV, if your in school concentrate on your grades and school work. I know it doesnt sound fun, but trust me it will take your mind off of being sober. Also, I try a technique that helped me and that is thinking back to when I was a kid and didnt have drugs, we managed to get through it. Just watch TV, play video games, surf the web, sleep, find stuff to clean around the house, find random games and keep yourself occupied. Trust me the worst thing you can do is waste your day and just think about getting high because this is just a chapter in your life, your gonna get through it and do better things, and you can sit around thinking about drugs or you can be productive and stop thinking about it and eventually things will get better. When you get into a routine of doing things stoned, its hard to go back to doing it normal, but if you dont think about it and stay strong it will pass. I have learned that drugs can be useful on occasion and stuff, but it sounds to me like you have other problems in your life besides the drugs (takes one to know one). Ive been through some bad shit in my life man but let me tell you, the drugs may numb it at first but it messes you up and the soner you learn to deal with life without them, the better off you'll be. Good luck with everything man.

Try new things. You never know what is going to snag your interest. I find spending time in nature to be really engaging. Combine that with strenuous hiking and you have a double benefit. Be around water. Whether it is the power of the sea or a gentle lapping lake or a river, there is something both energizing and soothing to me about moving water. Get involved with animals somehow--whether it is caring for your own and building bonds or volunteering to help animals that need help (shelters, rescues, etc) it can be another meaningful way to engage deeper with life. If it's adrenaline that you miss, find things that physically challenge you (rock-climbing, surfing?). Even cooking gives me a lot of pleasure. Branch out from ordinary or processed foods into creating healthy and delicious meals--it's very elemental and yet there is no end to what you can learn.

I don't know what kind of stuff you are into, but when I was in AA and trying to stay sober, I used to paint. I painted everything I could get my hands on. I bought some decent (maybe $20 set) of paintbrushes, a bunch of cheap acriylic paint from walmart (like 58 cents per bottle) in all different colors. I'd glue paper to tissue boxes, painted em. I found scrap cabinets someone threw away on trash day, painted em. I found all kinds of stuff on trash day, actually started riding around looking for good finds, threw it in the back of my van, took it home, painted it. I think I'll go back to that once I kick this Poppy seed tea thing...

Hello ahint: Since you are getting psychiatric care, do you attend any groups for patients? Regardless, have you been introduced to DBT... dialectical behavioral therapy. I think that there are so much different ways to enhance our moods, decrease anxiety and depression and enjoy life through the skills taught using this theory.

If you are not familiar with it, google it, and you will find activities, lists of activities that create a serene and peaceful lifestyle. Alot of it is basic, like taking bubble baths, lighting a scented candle and being mindful of the scent; placing an item you find beautiful in front of you, and using mindfulness observe the item as well as yourself, observing without judgement. There are modules on relationships that have homework sheets that I found very helpful - some require thought and some practice, etc., etc. There is so much more... this will get you started.

Check it out! PM me if you need further info.

Yeah get some hobbies.

Take some classes in community college and find something you are passionate about, don't worry about the pay so much as how much you enjoy the work cuz if you enjoy your job it ain't work.

Read, actual books and newspapers.

Have a lust for life, go get laid too.

But learn to be happy on your own and you can make someone else happy and they make you happier.

Just live.

about 18 months ago I just randomly danced one night in my apartment cuz I had this big mirror and I dunno was just having fun. I danced teh whole night. After that I was completely addicted. I was overweight like 230 pounds and completely out of of shape. Just recovering from a pretty crappy heroin relapse. I just kept researching different dances and figuring out where I wanted to take it. I knew I wanted to keep doing it cuz I would wake up and immediately start dancing. I started off completely goofy and now im like 180 pounds my legs r steel and I can really dance! Like I can fuckin dance yo!! Being an addict is good for some things! Sometimes I was dancing 8 hours a day. In the end, its saVING my life. Whenever I relapse I get better a lot faster cuz I exercise so much and ya its just good to have something you love doing. Never too late. Find something good for yourself man. Think what is it you like to do? If you dont know, try new things!