• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Ideas for new forms of antioxidents/mitochondrial support suplements

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
Would the compounds ubiquinol suxchinate or ubiquinol acetate be more stable in air. My theory is: adding an ester bond to the highly reactive part of the molecule, e.g. a carboxylic acid may prevent the ubiquinol donating its electrons, that is, until its absorbed into the body where esterase/hydrolases may act and release active ubiquinol. Im hoping this would increase the usefulness of ubiquinol supplements (normal currently available supplements rapidly oxidise in air forming ubiquinone.
Has anyone heard of diethyl suxchinate, its an ester supposed to directly supply suxchinate, a vital kreb cycle intermediate to the mitochondria. I wonder if this could prevent many drugs neurotoxicity, a part of which has been recently attributed to energy depletion. Sorry, I can’t post links, but just google energy depletion in methamphetamine neurotoxicity and lots of information proving this concept will come up.

Finally, the compound protacatatuic acid has been shown to be a strong cell permeable antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. I wonder what the result would be if one combines this acid with ubiquinol: would it not even work? Would an amazing new antioxidant prodrug be created?
Sorry if all this is to complex, its all hyperthetical, questions ive had on my mind for a long time and just wanted to get it out there.

Yes, adding an acetyl group to one of the phenolic groups of ubiquinol seems like a good idea. It would prevent oxidation as well as easily being cleaved once in the stomach/liver. I don't think anyone has implemented this idea from a quick Google search. However they may be preventing oxidation through other non chemical means.

You asked pretty much this question some time ago in PM, but couldn't read my response for some reason so I'll answer here even though aced already beat me to it.

Yes, adding acetyl groups to the free hydroxyls is going to make it both more lipophilic and stable in air yet it won't be stable in vivo, so it would be a good pro-drug to ubiquinol. Do you plan on doing it yourself?

You asked pretty much this question some time ago in PM, but couldn't read my response for some reason so I'll answer here even though aced already beat me to it.

Yes, adding acetyl groups to the free hydroxyls is going to make it both more lipophilic and stable in air yet it won't be stable in vivo, so it would be a good pro-drug to ubiquinol. Do you plan on doing it yourself?

Unlikely unless he works in chemistry because some of the relevant reagents needed (*cough* Ac2O *cough*) are monitored.

Reply to Neuroprotection: I'm not sure what you're asking in that PM, but if you mean whether I'm going to write you an email or not. Then, no. I'm happy to answer any questions either here or in PM, though. However I think your question has already been answered in this thread!

Why exactly can't you read your PMs? You can write them and send them, but not read received ones? Maybe the problem is fixable?

Reply to Neuroprotection: I'm not sure what you're asking in that PM, but if you mean whether I'm going to write you an email or not. Then, no. I'm happy to answer any questions either here or in PM, though. However I think your question has already been answered in this thread!
That's absolutely fine. You answered all my questions, and I understand your concern for privacy.
Why exactly can't you read your PMs? You can write them and send them, but not read received ones? Maybe the problem is fixable?
Im not really sure why I struggle to read received pms,, but im happy to use threads to ask questions. The reason I wanted to contact you was due to my lack of experience using forums, however this isn't an issue now since I now feel very confident using this site and I know my questions will be seen by other users. Also your answers on my threads have been brilliant so there's know longer need to email me any way. Thanks for your help.
Sorry this post looks a bit messy