• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Ibogaine & SSRI Addiction Treatment

blight12

Bluelighter
I hope this is ok for ADD. I feel it might not get the feedback necessary at OD and also this involves a health risk so I would like an advanced perspective.

I am considering Ibogaine treatment in low doses for the benefits across may multi rec drug use habits.

Most importantly however i feel it would be excellent to get off those nasty SSRI's which I feel are no longer needed (since the issues treated have recently vanished after many years), but i believe there is a risk here as there would be with DXM for example. Research has been very confusing and made me aware of the risks and thus I feel this post is necessary.

Basically I understand that Ibogaine used in combo with SSRI's is dangerous. My question is, would it seem reasonable and effective to cease SSRI usage until the withdrawals kick in (indicating the drug is out of the system) and then implement a proper dose of Ibogaine to treat the physical addiction to a drug of this class?

This sounds like the same method it is used to treat opiate addiction as in those cases it is also dosed once or just before withdrawals kicks in.

This seems beneficial theoretically, what do you guys think? Not asking for medical advice but rather opinions on potential issues from the technical aspect of this discussion.

Getting off SSRIs is relatively easy. Just taper down with Prozac (the one of the longest half life) for a week or so.

For some, yes, others not so much. It mostly depends on whether the medication is "needed" or not.

Yes please taper slowly according to a doctor's orders.

Why use Ibogaine though? That's mostly for hardcore heroin addicts. Do you really think you need it?

Why use Ibogaine though? That's mostly for hardcore heroin addicts. Do you really think you need it?

I will make it my life's mission to remind people that ibogaine is from a healing plant used in some circles in Gabon, in the same family of other healing plants like ayahuasca, peyote, san pedro, tryptamine snuffs, mushrooms, mgseeds, etc. It is not just for 'hard core addicts' and go one further and say any able-minded adult who could benefit from a psychedelic should look to ibogaine at some point.

Also, ibogaine's 'addiction interruption' seems to work for more than just opiates, there are claims it interrupts alcohol, stimulants, and other addictions. Could very much repair SSRI damage and I know ibogaine patients have been on SSRIs so it is not contradicted to my knowledge.

Moreover, I can tell you first hand that ibogaine really is like 10 years of psychotherapy in 36hr, and with the wisest therapist there ever was!

Ibogaine 'works the same' for everyone, be it drug addiction or any maladaptive behavior. For fascinating reports on non-drug addict-related psychotherapy with ibogaine check out this fine chapter from "The Healing Journey"

www.ibogaine.desk.nl/naranjo.html

Before people get too ahead of themselves, this is a promising but FAR from safe compound. I know I'll get a lot of anecdotal flaming for this but the research so far turns up that this drug has an extreme side effect profile. Hopefully a safer derivative reaches the market soon, as it would be a blockbuster drug as well as a major medical and societal boom.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22268458
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23123541
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22458604

Also, this one is pretty lulzy
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22006945

Thanks all for the responses. I have done some intensive research on the topic including morninggloryseed's reports (thanks for that!) and the uses are quite exciting.

Personally I will be trying micro or low doses (10 days or so) as this is said to be very effective for dropping and potentially halting tolerance totally for most rec drugs (called dirty maintenance). This for me is the major motivation for usage.

Additionally I will be trying a higher dose if needed to attempt to assist/interrupt any SSRI withdrawals (very carefully of course) once/if they hit with a faster then usual taper schedule I have already begun.

I will write a trip report on both matters ASAP once the results are in. Thanks Epsilon for that data, I will go through it all as well. I am hoping my attempts at micro or lower doses for a longer period will reduce the side effect issues compared to a flood (which i dont need in my case).

Oh yes and anybody considering this should have a check up for heart and liver issues first. Cheers.

For some, yes, others not so much. It mostly depends on whether the medication is "needed" or not.

Yes please taper slowly according to a doctor's orders.

Apparently its equally effective for other drugs as well. I will report back in the trip report on its effectiveness for alcohol, cigs and meth as well. I would be very happy to interrupt those and stick with occasional Kratom usage as an ideal scenario. That will be my attempt.

Isn't a combination of willpower, tapering and time far more effective than anything else? It's not like ibogaine will magically erase withdrawal symptoms...

^ Well many of the reports do border on magical when it comes to killing withdrawals dead. Cant confirm myself though.

If i just wanted to taper SSRI's i would do it the traditional way, but my interest is more in getting this benefit as a bonus as well as the tons of other apparent benefits with regards to the multiple other substances I use such as halting tolerance, lower tolerance, stopping withdrawals etc etc etc.

I'd read up on ibogaine. It really is almost a magic bullet when it comes to erasing withdrawal and 'interrupting addiction' to alcohol, opiates, and other drugs. For a small number of people, willpower, tapering, and time do not seem to be enough.

But for SSRIs? I've heard the worst thing about them is the "zaps" (supported by my own anecdote and those I've known) and associated physical symptoms. If one has that bad of a mental withdrawal then I'd reason they should stay on their drug.

I am a bit sceptical about Ibogaine completely erasing the physical and psychological addiction to a substance from one day to another.
Is this real? Someone here has experienced such things first hand? What is the mechanism involved?

But for SSRIs? I've heard the worst thing about them is the "zaps" (supported by my own anecdote and those I've known) and associated physical symptoms. If one has that bad of a mental withdrawal then I'd reason they should stay on their drug.
Months of crippling physic symptoms including vomiting and zaps, for some. The head zaps for me were the worst hitting five times a minute making most tasks difficult, but the physical symptoms vary greatly by case and usually only last ~2 weeks

The big problem is the post acute...a year of hell. Your mental problems are 10x worse than before you got.on the drug.

If one doesn't develop beneficial behavioral aspects to their treatment while on the drug, then yes.

I am a bit sceptical about Ibogaine completely erasing the physical and psychological addiction to a substance from one day to another.
Is this real?

Ibogaine works as advertised. Be it rats and mice or humans, ibogaine does relieve/erase/stop nearly all withdrawal from opiates and other drugs. It's mechanism is not a total mystery but is not fully understood either.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/ibogaine/ibogaine_faq.shtml

I don't think Ibogaine's effects would work too well in SSRI withdrawal (is there a link between K-opioid agonism and serotonergics?). As others have said, tapering slowly should mitigate the effects pretty well. If you find you're still getting withdrawal after you're done though, maybe looking into some 5HTP, L-tryptophan, inositol, or melatonin supplements might not be a bad idea.