• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Flower I went to Japan and smoked weed legally.

moonyham

Bluelighter
I thought I'd share my experience. I was in Japan recently and I'm a daily weed smoker. This was not ideal. About 4 or 5 days in, I was visiting a love hotel and the room stunk of weed. It was the first time I had smelt it since being in Japan and was surprised. This was in Osaka, which is a bit more wild and less strict than Tokyo for example. People will cross the road without waiting for the green man, which I never saw in Tokyo(very rebellious, I know haha).

So I knew weed was around but didn't know how to get it. Now and then I would see a real shady looking gangsta and be tempted to ask, but I couldn't build the courage.

Well my friend I was traveling with, while on shopping adventures saw a weed sign at a shop. When she came back to the hotel she informs me that there is a weed store but it she's not sure if it's CBD or what but smelt weed smoke. I quickly catch a taxi right to it to check it out.

Turns out Japan has loose analogue laws, and they are selling thc-h and I believe thc-ch? Or hc? I can't remember completely but am 99% sure what I bought were thc-h products.

A cool young African American was the front man of the store and was easy to talk to, there were slightly older Japanese guys hovering around that gave off hipster harmless fake gangsta vibes who clearly ran/owned it.

I asked him what the deal was and if this shit gets me high. He assures me 'dude, this gets you high' with a very stern look. A tourist, young American girl with a fresh tattoo - the only other non employee in there and almost looking like a sales plant, turns around at that moment while taking a big dab bit in a bong says, while trying to hold in their hit 'yeah it's good dude, this is my third session this stuff hits'. I didn't even notice her until she chimed in haha.

Anyway, I'm convinced. I buy around $1000 worth before even taking a hit. They only accept cash too. Maybe a silly move but I figured options are limited, I'm on holiday for another 2 weeks and these two people are either the best stoner actors ever and full of shit or I'm getting myself a bag of goodies.

I ask where can I smoke this? They direct me to the store across the road. Sister store, bigger and with a smoking balcony. Same branding and owned by same people. Not gonna lie, things got a little weird here.

The guy at the first store maybe gave a heads up to the second store of my custom and arrival. Not weird for Japan, they are very good at team work and passing information along. But weird when it's drugs.

They were expecting me. And I'm the only one in the store, this huge store with like 5 very friendly gangsta and fashionable gangsta dudes and a chick. I think they were trying to look really hip to maybe take away the gangsta and make you feel more at ease but you could still see it. They were so happy to see me and very welcoming. But also, all kept their eyes on me at all times. Like you could see all their heads swivel as I walked across the room. Weird vibes. They show me the private weed only smoking balcony, with warning signs that it's illegal to smoke tobacco on it. Only their products were allowed. There is a small bonzai that has weed shaped leaves which I've never seen and was very cool, some fake grass, couple of seats and a nice view of a small square lots of people sit around and hang out.

The guy kinda stands awkwardly by the door for a few moments longer than he probably should have, and then realised on yeah people like to smoke weed without someone intensely staring at them a few feet away.. Haha. He shuffles away apologetically. Oh Japan.. Love you.

I light up with one of their branded lighters. Same lighters you get at love hotels. I collected lots of these in my travels. Better then a bic! It's a pre rolled joint. Cost? 25-30$. I bought 20. I wish I bought more. It taste like weed. Smoked like weed. And after 2 hits I could feel it. I got half way through the joint and didn't actually know if I could finish it.

It's hitting me. That 'over think everything and panic that I'm in way over my head'. Fuck I'm smoking weed in Japan and Im high as FUCK. I havnt been this high in many years. Reminds me of teenage smoking days. Where's my phone? Where's my wallet? Fuck did I really just spend that much on weed? Can I even smoke all this? Fuck they won't buy it back will they? Na man just give it to people. No, that's probably punishable by death! Dude how are you getting back to the hotel. And you've gotta get through all those crowds down there?

So I'm kinda freaking out on this balcony. I collect myself. Tell myself na it's OK, unless all these guys are breaking the law too then I'm sweet. And no one even knows what weed is in Japan so they'll(the public) at worst think I'm drunk or just a stupid weird foreigner. I've got intense dry mouth. Didn't bring a drink, damn.

At this point I'm over my mild panic attack but still startled. Not ready for interactions. I know there's a bunch of dudes in the shop who I have to get past.. I slowly open the door and it's like.. As if the 'star of the show' effect given earlier wasn't weird enough, it's very unsettling when this high. One thing I noticed earlier, but was super apparent at this point is all these guys are stone cold sober. I would be surprised if they had ever smoked in their lives. Gave off those real strait vibes.

I ask them if there's anything to drink, and they say they have water. I give out a solid disappointed stoner 'oh man you guys gotta get mountain dew or something' and tell them the product is indeed fucking legit, that I'm very surprised and I smoke shit tonnes of weed back home, high quality medical grade and this has me just as high if not more high. They were SO unbelievably happy to hear this which I found kinda funny but also, Japan.. People take a lot of pride in their work - even getting people high.

I say goodbye and awkwardly can't find the way out and they have to help me because I'm too damn high to even know where I came in. We say goodbye again haha. Time by the way, unlike any normal weed I've smoked got quite distorted. I realise as I go to find a taxi that I left my bag in the first store. I run back and come in and they've just realised themselves that there's a mystery bag. I am walking out and thought how the fuck did they not notice that for so long? But then see the time, it's been maybe 15min at most since I purchased the stuff. It felt like much longer than that. An hour maybe. I thought I had been on just the balcony at least half an hour.

The guy in the first store asks before I left what I think. I can barely look at him in the eyes. I'm so incredibly high it's almost overwhelming. Explain dude you weren't joking. This is potent as fuck. He laughs and I am back into the streets of chaos.

After about 30-45min it was much more like a regular weed high. That was consistent over the next few weeks. Very intense, and then medium for few hours. I bought a bunch of vape pens too, one of each 'strain'. Unlike the joints where sativa or indica, and which had huge differences, the vapes all just got me.. High. No difference but tasted different. But at that point I had smoked all the joints and was hammering the vapes as much as my throat would let me(which wasn't much).

Whats weird is I think I preferred thc-h. The high, besides that initial 'overdose' on the first joint felt cleaner and less groggy. I didn't feel as useless or lazy or weighed down. And I enjoyed the rush part. Like it wasn't just one buzz, but two very different experiences from each session.

Anyway. I proceeded to smoke this all over Japan. I had a great time. Only once did someone notice. Some cool looking young punk Japanese dude and his gf. He smelt it, sitting on some big steps by the water, gestured to me the joint in mouth sign and a thumbs up saying 'cool' and smiling haha. He kinda looked stoned himself. The store gave me a card to give police if I ever got stopped. They reckoned that I didn't need to worry... I still didn't smoke near police and followed my usual public space smoking protocol - do it near flowing water(river, drains etc) so you can drop it and watch it float away in worst case situation(and also don't carry more than the one joint you are smoking, leave the rest elsewhere).

If I did it again I'd just go for all joints. I had never tried vape pens and bought 3(i think 150-200 each?). Very hard on the throat, which I googled and doesn't seem to be a specific thc-h thing but that many spliff smokers like myself struggle. The products were pricey but I think most normal users would find 2-3 joints a day more then enough. I did and I smoke lots of weed.

...besides that initial 'overdose'...

Congratulations as you've just broken an all-time record, being the very 1st human to « OD » on cannabis. For sure the bigot "expert$"/"$pe¢iali$t$" will want to take a few samples of your brain for laboratory analysis!

It was a good read, ive always been super interested in Japan. Dont like Cannabis at all but i can certainly appreciate your enthusiasm. But dude you spent a thousand dollars on Weed for a 2 week vacation, that seems just insane to me. Guess im just used to buying it in the states for my girl which is ridiculously cheap like a quarter pound for a couple hundred bucks and lasts her 6 months or so. Was the products like super highly priced or something, cuz even buying Delta-8, HHC, THC-O products in the states isnt that much money. But it is more than what i pay for the real deal in bulk off black market vendors.

It was a good read, ive always been super interested in Japan. Dont like Cannabis at all but i can certainly appreciate your enthusiasm. But dude you spent a thousand dollars on Weed for a 2 week vacation, that seems just insane to me. Guess im just used to buying it in the states for my girl which is ridiculously cheap like a quarter pound for a couple hundred bucks and lasts her 6 months or so. Was the products like super highly priced or something, cuz even buying Delta-8, HHC, THC-O products in the states isnt that much money. But it is more than what i pay for the real deal in bulk off black market vendors.

This has to be the most American response. Bro. It's Japan. It's an extremely conservative country - drugs, drug dealers.. They aren't out talking shit on street corners. I couldn't believe it when I smelled weed for the first time, and it's hard to really get the point across without you going but yeah ' B-b-but back 5000 miles that way, I can get this stuff through Steve' doesn't really cut it. You pay the price or you don't get high, this was clear to me.

I literally see Americans complain about the price of anything *everywhere* I travel though, even in Vietnam where it's dirt cheap still had Americans complain about 50c parking fees or weed that's 3$ a gram being too expensive. They can 'always' get this and that cheaper back home.. Yeah cool bud, you ain't home.

Not to shit on Americans but yeah your post lol really giving me flashbacks to all the Americans I've seen in my time saying this. Funniest one was these two complain about the price of nos balloon in Vietnam. It was 1$. 'I can get a whole box for blah blah blah' back home'. I turned to him as I was already buying one 'do you see anyone else out here selling this bro' He quickly realised oh yeah, this is the only nos.. And oh yeah maybe a dollar to get a balloon of nos in some jungle on a remote island isn't actually a bad deal at all..

how much weed did you get for 1,000 and what do you do for a living that you can afford to spend 1,000 on 2 weeks worth of weed?

how much weed did you get for 1,000 and what do you do for a living that you can afford to spend 1,000 on 2 weeks worth of weed?

20 joints and 3 vapes.

I'm pretty well off and travel regularly. I can't really say exactly what I do but I solve problems for big companies with my autism.

I mean it was a vacation. If there's an acceptable time to spend money on stuff, a vacation is definitely one of those times

This is my feeling. I'm already paying 300 a day for hotel, 150 a day for food, 100 a day travel and misc. That's not including the thousands on flights, the lost income by taking time off(my biggest cost) or the other activities that are in the hundreds. What's an extra 100 a day in weed. I'm not gonna get to the end of the holiday and be like wow I'm so happy I was sober this whole time and saved a thousand dollars. I'm already blowing through money when on holiday, an extra grand here and there doesn't make much difference in the end.

Great story. Reminded me of my visit to Amsterdam, getting stoned out of my mind on weed and huge doses of shrooms, then suddenly realizing I'm way too high to navigate back to my hotel room. Luckily everyone speaks English there and is super friendly. I can't even imagine doing that in Japan with yakuza bros running the show and the strict laws/customs. Sounds wild.

And yeah those THC-O type analogs are potent as fuck, but also more functional in some ways.

I literally see Americans complain about the price of anything *everywhere* I travel though, even in Vietnam where it's dirt cheap still had Americans complain about 50c parking fees or weed that's 3$ a gram being too expensive. They can 'always' get this and that cheaper back home.. Yeah cool bud, you ain't home.
My American dad who fought in the Vietnam war won't shut the fuck up about how much he wants to move there to retire, "he could live like a king" because it's so cheap. I don't think he appreciates or rationalizes the culture differences.

I've traveled a lot as an American, and I know how they can be crassly rude, loud, arrogant, etc. I've never heard of them complaining about high prices, though. Usually they're getting ripped off by unknowingly paying too much.

Americans are used to buying cheaply made Chinese products. I noticed things in the EU are generally more expensive, but also usually higher quality. I still own a shirt I bought in Dublin 15+ years ago that has been washed hundreds of times and still looks good enough that I wear it. Meanwhile, the shirts I buy in America look like washed out garbage within two or three years.

Computing consulting?

I use computers but the job is more investigative.

Great story. Reminded me of my visit to Amsterdam, getting stoned out of my mind on weed and huge doses of shrooms, then suddenly realizing I'm way too high to navigate back to my hotel room. Luckily everyone speaks English there and is super friendly. I can't even imagine doing that in Japan with yakuza bros running the show and the strict laws/customs. Sounds wild.

And yeah those THC-O type analogs are potent as fuck, but also more functional in some ways.

Dude exactly, being in such a foreign place really kicks in when you are so high. Pretty much no one speaks English in Japan. The gangsters amused me more than anything. Maybe I'm just stupid but it takes a lot for me to be fearful. Probably doesn't hurt I'm tall and strong so small Japanese dudes aren't exactly intimidating.

The only dodgy people in Japan really are the Nigerians that yakuza import to do all their dodgy stuff. They hang around touristy hot spots and drug people that they convince to go into clearly not safe bars. Then they rack up their credit card(no pins in Japan) or if it's a good looking girl drug her enough to pass out and sell her body to dudes, with stories of girls waking up in toilets with cum on/in them. Real nasty shit. The stories are always some really naive girl that thinks Japan is completely safe so follow a group of Nigerian thugs down an alley into a dark bar with no one inside.. Like no matter where you are in the world don't fucking do that.

My American dad who fought in the Vietnam war won't shut the fuck up about how much he wants to move there to retire, "he could live like a king" because it's so cheap. I don't think he appreciates or rationalizes the culture differences.

I've traveled a lot as an American, and I know how they can be crassly rude, loud, arrogant, etc. I've never heard of them complaining about high prices, though. Usually they're getting ripped off by unknowingly paying too much.

Americans are used to buying cheaply made Chinese products. I noticed things in the EU are generally more expensive, but also usually higher quality. I still own a shirt I bought in Dublin 15+ years ago that has been washed hundreds of times and still looks good enough that I wear it. Meanwhile, the shirts I buy in America look like washed out garbage within two or three years.

I spent a good amount of time in Vietnam and I would not go there if I was an American, not to live anyway. Despite stories, they have not forgiven the USA for what happened and if you are American you are bottom of the list. Youll be given higher prices(still cheap by our standards), you will be sat at worse seats, you will be treated rudely and have your time wasted, you'll be given the shit room at the hotel. I've seen Vietnamese pretend to not know English to Americans and happily talk to me(New Zealand).

There is a sigh of relief when they ask 'American?' and you say no I'm from *insert country that didn't genocide your parents*. For real, retiring as an American in Vietnam sounds like a nightmare.

Are there Vietnamese that don't care? Sure. But there's enough that do, that in my opinion, you are better off going to Thailand or other places that don't have such a terrible history with.

I had a situation where 3 methed out Vietnamese pirates ambushed me on a wharf(to cut a long story short) in the middle of the night while I was smoking a joint. By myself, no one to hear me scream. I don't think I would have got out of that situation alive or with my belongings if I was an American.

Maybe everyone complains about prices, I just hear the Americans more because they complain the loudest 😂😂