• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

I want to quit amphetamines, but I'm stuck in a circle.

Tevil19

Greenlighter
Hey all,

I have been prescribed dexamphetamine 25mg/day for a year now. At first it helped me focus and concentrate better. It made me feel like wanting to do good and motivation levels were sky high.
I was not taking the drug regularly, but only when I thought I needed it(exams, high pressure events, stressful moments etc.)
After a short time of being sober, I realised how well I actually functioned. I decided I don't need the medication anymore. There were upsides but there are also downsides to using. And I realised that my sober self is good enough to make it through. So I decided to quit.

And this has proved itself to be much harder than I anticipated.

To be honest, it goes like this: I stay sober for 3 maybe 4 weeks and then I end up using again and feeling sorry afterwards. And this has classic earmarks of addiction. I use when I know it is, at first, not necessary and secondly, sometimes the comedowns are so horrible.

So basically, I would appreciate any help/advice/criticism from any of you that might help me get over this.

On a side note, I have a great education. I have got a really sweet girlfriend. I eat healthy foods and go to the gym regularly.

I think I am going to get rid of all amps in my house now.

I need to break the pattern.

Thank you.

Honestly it sounds like you have the answers already. Just go flush that crap down the drain. You will have weak moments but if you flushed them all in your one strong moment you win. I've done it with my drug of choice. I had a full bottle(of my poison) and flushed them right down the drain after pacing with them for 2 hours debating. I could have sold them for 500 usd easy but I chose my life over the money. You know thirty minutes later I wanted them back so bad to take one but nope game over down the toilet.

I think you should examine the events leading up to your using...what can you do differently? Is there are frequent event/feeling that is occurring that is subconsciously bothering you and motivates you to use?

you have to force yourself to quit. honestly, that is the only way. it helps if you are restricted access to it. if you can't get it, you won't use it

you have to force yourself to quit. honestly, that is the only way. it helps if you are restricted access to it. if you can't get it, you won't use it

So very true. I always envied people addicted to illegal substances with respect to the level of access. As alcohol was my problem out of control substance it was difficult. It's literally everywhere here, including my backyard with the golfers and the concession girls who had no problem getting me a bottle from the clubhouse when I was actively drinking. Most of the grocery stores have sampling kiosks set up so you can sample when you walk in, and living at the beach everyone has a party attitude and people frequently drink in the open. I've since gotten used to it so it doesn't bother me now but it was tough initially.

It's going to be tough as you already know with alcohol. But I was "ok" with my Adderall until 4 years ago when misdiagnosed with lung cancer. Put on lortabs. Lost 40 pounds of muscle mass in 2 weeks, got divorced from the love of my life, and become a chronic masturbater due to the combination of amphetamines and hydrocodone. I'm retired and 62 and lonely. I had issues in my 20's but never imagined I would be where I am at this age. Your identical to me.....great girlfriend, educated, work out, and living the dream! I'm dying a slow death of not eating. I've got money for a great retirement but I don't care anymore. You got this! Do it! Your future is so very bright!!! Thoughts and prayers for you as I can so relate.

@chronicmasturbator I am so very sorry to hear that. I hope you will find a way to deal with it.

@Moreaux Do you thinks it's wise to keep a record of these events leading up to use and the motivation?

To the OP - you need to get rid of your stash and also tell your prescribing doctor that you don't want anymore scripts. Tell him you're concerned about abuse or something.

I went down the path you were on but I never stopped taking them - the 2 good years I got were not worth it.

Are you talking about mixed salts like Adderall or straight up dex (Dexadrine)? This post makes me understand how different we all are. I just got done responding to someones post about them taking over 200mgs a day, and you're stuck at 25mg a day. When I went through this I was between 50-60mg so I guess I was in the middle. I'm sure you'll be fine as I believe the therapeutic dose of IR goes up to 30mgs. I've been clean for a long time now and have no cravings whatsoever so I'm sure you;ll be fine.

This is a problem that many ppl have that aren't truly addicts yet but it is not recreational..if u only use once a week when u are a recreational user it's fine,all fun..but after u find out u are somewhat powerless against the drug with daily use, that weekly use is unbearable because it seems like a relapse and u are weak..when looked at objectively u aren't using anymore but it seems like u are powerless when before u were making a choice..it's all about perspective u have to build yourself back up with confidence that u have the choice to say yes or no..a little drug use is fine but it's not worth it if u beat yourself up every time..I would suggest not telling your doctor u have a problem and just tell him it's not working anymore and u don't want to substitute anymore medication