• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction I.V. direction

Engine_Of_Chaos

Bluelighter
I have plenty of experience with I.V. I was taught certain "rules" not to break wen shooting.. like never re-use needles (or try not too), never share ur equipment, rotate sites etc. The one I want to ask about is direction.. always towards the heart. I was told that it can't really fuk you up to shoot the other way.. heard horror stories. I have watched many a documentary and/or pov YouTube video about addiction that shows ppl shooting away from the heart. The one I see the most is bending the arm then shooting between elbow and hand.. would be outer side of forearm if extended. They have needle pointing up towards hand an never hav anything happen after. I'm just curious to wat the deal is.. Thanks for any advice

Basically, veins contain valves at intervals along their length to ensure blood only flows toward the heart.

These valves (fleshy flaps) close if the flow goes in the wrong direction.

Therefore, the thinking is that if you shoot away from the heart close to one of these valves, then the valve will close and you run the risk of bursting the vein and/or damaging the valve. Admittedly it's a very slim chance, as most IV injectors shoot less than 1ml - though in a narrow vein 1ml can be a significant amount. To minimise this risk, always inject slowly and steadily. Don't force it.

But it's still best to do things properly...

Last edited:
Blood clots too. The further away from your heart the more likely it is to clot up. Shooting into upper arm like biceps reaches heart quickly and gets broken up so it is less likely to clot

Towards the heart always, as this goes with the direction of the blood flow.

Shooting against, not only will you negate the effect of quickest possible delivery to your brain, which is what you are looking for ; but also create a counter - pressure with your injection that could blow the vein. Those tissues are more delicate than you think.