• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

I think I stabbed a needle in my knuckle

Suboxombie

Bluelighter
Almost 24 hours ago I had a quick pain when I glanced away for a fraction of a second while IVing in small vein on inside of knuckle. I removed needle after feeling the pain. But then it didnt hurt after. This AM I woke up with the usual pain and swelling in my hands due to arthritis. The rest of the day was fine. A few hours ago my finger started to feel sore. It’s gotten worse over these couple hours. Finger is hot and painful to touch and throbbing. I can’t use or bend the finger due to the pain. It’s swollen and red. What could I have hit? My only guess is did I hit a nerve? Or did I stick the needle into the joint? I’ve hit nerves before in less sensitive areas & didn’t have pain like this 24 hours later. If it’s not better tomorrow I’ll have to go to urgent care or something. I just dont need my sub dr finding out. Also I don’t know if I should try ice or heat to see if it helps bc I dont know what I did. Any idea wht I hit or any advice?

That sounds like inflammation, possibly infection. Definitely get seen at urgent care
I’ve been using needles for 19 years and I’ve only had a couple things happen that concerned me but never so bad that I felt I had to go get checked out. But I’ve never had anything like this before. It hurts 10x more now than when it happened. I just took a hot bath and that didn’t seem to help or hurt it. Maybe a teensy bit better bc I can actually straighten the finger now. Also it doesn’t hurt to the touch unless I apply pressure now. But it does seem tighter. There’s definitely inflammation but I wish I knew what was causing it

Did you sterilize the injection site? Did you use a new needle? How about the water source, was it bacteriostatic? Did you use a syringe filter to clean up the solution? If you aren't doing these things and inject regularly, its likely only a matter of time before some sort of infection happens. Our skin is constantly covered in bacteria and other microbes, most of it is our microbiome but those guys usually don't cause problems unless they get inside. It is possible that the contact of the needle with the joint tissue can induce inflammation because physical tissue damage can trigger similar signaling pathways but I personally wouldn't risk it. In the US at least, docs in urgent care generally haven't judged me for being a user they just want to help. Hopefully the inflammation clears up soon but there still may be that slight risk of infection

Not medical advice, but does sound like an infection but I use that loosely because it’s hard to say. I’d definitely just get it seen at an urgent care and be honest. Urgent cares don’t report to your doctor unless you tell them who your doctor is and allow them to.

Majority of urgent cares and doctors aren’t linked in USA.