• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

I overdosed on benedryl, help.

Key77

Greenlighter
Well guys I've been potentiating my hydro to better manage pain and it's been working amazing until yesterday and today.
Here's what I take 3 times a day.
800mg tagamet
400mg ibuprofen
440mg naproxen
4 tums
75-125mg benedryl
5/325mg Hydrocodone
Normally I can't feel the hydro but if I potentiate it I get high as can be.
Now since yesterday I've been extremely weak and also shaky and out of it. I actually had my legs give out a few times as well.
Right now I feel like shit and I don't know what to do. I'm gonna have to cut out the benedryl for a while atleast.
Any help here? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but to be thourough, is there a possibility that the illness you're experiencing is a result of prolonged consumption of Hydrocodone and for that matter, other stuff? Opioid withdrawal will make you feel under the weather, or Malaise, the medical term for a sensation of feeling generally unwell.

Barring the possibility that you're hypersensitive to Diphenhydramine (Benadryl), which it appears that you're not from previous experience, you haven't overdosed on it, although from a therapeutic standpoint, you're probably in the mid-high range.

Is there a possibility that you can call a Doctor and ask them? There could potentially be something seriously wrong unrelated to the drugs. If this isn't normal behavior for you, I would recommend getting yourself checked out.

IMO the benadryl is the least of your problems with that mix. Both ibuprofen and naproxen are NSAIDS, both alone can tear up your stomach (ulcers)bleeding and possible other problems, combining the two especially 3 times a day is only asking for stomach damage...pick ONE. Once you get damage from nsaids it seems to take forever to heal and doesn't take much to damage it again.

Also, just to let you know Tagamet taken in high doses for an extended period of time can cause gynecomastia (tits).

Well it sounds like I've fucked up in a variety of ways.
I have only been taking hydro since the 6th, and oxy before that from September 23rd 15.
This isn't normal for me, and I have experienced withdrawal and this hasn't been it.

I wouldn't take either ibuprophen and naproxen, that's overkill. Tylenol boosts the effect of opiods but it sounds like you've already got that in your dosage. If the benadryl makes you too drowsy try Xanax (0.5 mg) or DXM (60-80 mg, found in Robitussin) or soma (350 mg). Those are the tried-and-true for opioid potentiation.

IMO the benadryl is the least of your problems with that mix. Both ibuprofen and naproxen are NSAIDS, both alone can tear up your stomach (ulcers)bleeding and possible other problems, combining the two especially 3 times a day is only asking for stomach damage...pick ONE. Once you get damage from nsaids it seems to take forever to heal and doesn't take much to damage it again.

Also, just to let you know Tagamet taken in high doses for an extended period of time can cause gynecomastia (tits).

Damn, I missed out on a good point. A normal, healthy person can consume 800mg Ibuprofen up to 3 times a day for 2 weeks without physician's order, but if you're taking it chronically, you could end up with some gastro issues.

I'm just making a guess, but I doubt it's the Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) alone that caused this episode. The unfortunate thing, is that when you're using so many different substances at once it can become hard to pin-point which one is causing you problems. I suggest reducing your "regimen" to your Opioid and at most, one potentiator like a sedating antihistamine, Dextromethorphan or what have you.

See if your condition improves.

Benadryl is an extrmemly potent anticholinergic which also happen to be extremlely potent muscle relanxants - think of dantrolen and orphendrine - this might be why you are feeling weak. Plus it is not just the NSAIDs that are bad for your stomach and GI.

The Tums, NSAIDs, tagamet, Benadryl, AND the narcotic are are TERRIBLE for your colon. You are going to end up with horrible digestive issues. If you need all of this for pain relief you need to see your doctor and tell him to cut through the bullshit and tell him that 5mgs of hydro doesn't work and you are literally killing yourself trying to GET it to work.

^If he already added all this "other" stuff to his opioid to "potentiate" it, it's likely because it wasn't working.

it's time to schedule a dr appointment OP. Not self medicate until you end up in the ER or with more health issues

Benadryl is an extrmemly potent anticholinergic which also happen to be extremlely potent muscle relanxants - think of dantrolen and orphendrine - this might be why you are feeling weak. Plus it is not just the NSAIDs that are bad for your stomach and GI.

The Tums, NSAIDs, tagamet, Benadryl, AND the narcotic are are TERRIBLE for your colon. You are going to end up with horrible digestive issues. If you need all of this for pain relief you need to see your doctor and tell him to cut through the bullshit and tell him that 5mgs of hydro doesn't work and you are literally killing yourself trying to GET it to work.

^If he already added all this "other" stuff to his opioid to "potentiate" it, it's likely because it wasn't working.

it's time to schedule a dr appointment OP. Not self medicate until you end up in the ER or with more health issues

Yea... I said to not continute taking all that stuff. I run on a possibly incorrect, but safer assumption that addicts and recreational drug users are probably going to continue their dangerous behavior to some degree, regardless of potential consequences, so it's good to offer a theoretical compromise. Going to the Doctor is always the best option when someone is unsure of something going on with their body, but as you've probably seen for yourself, some people are quite hesitant to broach the subject of their recreational drug use to their prescriber for a variety of reasons.

We obviously can't remedy a Heart Attack, or give someone CPR over the internet, but some people come to Bluelight with some potentially serious problems, so we might as well do the best we can to help them out. We're not substitutes for Doctors, but some people can't or won't see one, c'est la vie.

That's true. A lot of my friends you used to do a lot of similar things. But it doesn't look like he's using recreationally right there. Just using unwisely.

I had a friend who would - always - at least 10 ibuprofen every time or 12 benadryl when she was in pain or had a cold. These things catch up to you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.
I'm not 100% today but much better.
I'm only taking hydro until I'm back to "normal" and then only with 1 or 2 potentiators.
I have a appointment with pain management the beginning of August and I'm hoping they cut the BS and give me something that will let me function and not have a pain filled life as much.

Damn, I missed out on a good point. A normal, healthy person can consume 800mg Ibuprofen up to 3 times a day for 2 weeks without physician's order, but if you're taking it chronically, you could end up with some gastro issues.

I'm just making a guess, but I doubt it's the Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) alone that caused this episode. The unfortunate thing, is that when you're using so many different substances at once it can become hard to pin-point which one is causing you problems. I suggest reducing your "regimen" to your Opioid and at most, one potentiator like a sedating antihistamine, Dextromethorphan or what have you.

See if your condition improves.

I used to take 600mg ibuprofen a couple times a day (not everyday) without issue but the 800mg ones messed up my stomach. It took a month to heal with omeprazole and 4+ years later I still can't take much ibuprofen for any period of time before it re-aggravates my ulcer again, naproxen is even worse for me.

I also have had good experience using dextromethorphan (DXM) as a potentiator much better than the typical sedating antihistamine.

I used to take 600mg ibuprofen a couple times a day (not everyday) without issue but the 800mg ones messed up my stomach. It took a month to heal with omeprazole and 4+ years later I still can't take much ibuprofen for any period of time before it re-aggravates my ulcer again, naproxen is even worse for me.

I also have had good experience using dextromethorphan (DXM) as a potentiator much better than the typical sedating antihistamine.
I was actually using DXM too but ran out.. add it to the list lol
It did work pretty well, and I've heard it has certain tolerance inhibiting qualities.

The above posters said it all that's way too much ibuprofen. I was taking 800 mg a day and it raised my Liver enzymes. Is this a prescribed dose, all that you are taking?

Yea it was too much. I've fully recovered now and I'm only taking 1 potentiator with the hydro.
Does anyone know what the best thing I could take? For pain control and euphoria preferably but pain is priority until my appointment.
Also ways to lower tolerance?
Thank you all so much, you have all been very helpful!

Can you elaborate on how tums and benadryl are bad for your stomach? Same way as NSAIDs? This is pretty scary to read because I use both fairly regularly and I do have digestive issues due to food allergies-hopefully just food allergies :/