• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I may be alone here, but one of the worst opioid WD symptoms for me is that horrible change in smell

Bomb319

Bluelighter
Ok, so technically it's not really THAT per se as much as the terrible anxiety it induces and the horrible subconscious feelings it brings up. It's because it's the exact point in time when I can no longer chalk up my symptoms to psychological effects alone, and I know exactly where I'm about to be heading. Knowing you have another 24 hours or more until your methadone pickup AND at the same time wondering just how bad it'll get this time is worse than any of the physical symptoms in my opinion (though I'm certainly not a fan of puking my guts out, wondering how I can possibly even keep my next dose down).

I know a lot of people will know exactly what I mean by smell, but for some reason it's discussed relatively rarely, even on here. First, let me clarify exactly what I mean - I've heard some people describing what seems to be a smell coming from their pores, or their sweat or something...that is NOT what I'm talking about. I can't smell anything on me; if I'm really sick and sweating profusely, I'll obviously notice it, but I usually smell like nothing. It's the ENVIRONMENT that seems to change with that awakening of your sense of smell along with other senses...how you can suddenly notice a big change whether its inside or outside (where it seems to be nothing more than a profoundly increased ability to smell the air and humidity...that may not sound too bad, but it IS). Because not only do I know beyond a doubt what's likely about to happen, but as smells are capable of doing, it takes me right back through the years of suffering, puking, collapsed veins, having to deal with people when all I want to do is curl up and die...well, everyone will know what I mean by THAT, of course.

But that increased sense of smell or whatever it is, is one of the few symptoms that has me compulsively sniffing my hands, the air around me, etc. just waiting to detect it. It sucks.

Yeah it is pretty tell tale sign of withdrawal. Also a unique taste in my mouth. Oddly enough benzo withdrawal has its own set of tastes and smells.

I have never noticed the smell change really. I think I'm too busy feeling like I want to chop off my legs and arms because they're so restless. For me the worst symptom is a tie between the crushing despair, and the hellish restlessness.

I've gotten the same thing many times, and I think it's caused by your brain going into overdrive, taking in way more sensory information than it normally does because you're constantly in fight or flight mode, and not to mention that all of your senses have been dulled by being in an opiate haze for such a long time.

Opiates dull the senses and that's not too uncommon. They make us lose some of our emotions (the good and bad) in my opinion, but also our sense of touch--pleasure from seeing pretty people or things, etc. It's not severe or anything like that, but at a certain point in the withdrawal increased senses is to be expected. Also, quite a bit of emotions that the high dulled out returns powerfully. You might be watching a Geico commercial and tear up for no reason.

Oh and the libido returns like a lion, for gals and guys. It's like being in 9th grade again level horny while the hormones and testosterone levels go back to the way they were before using. I do miss having virtually no sex drive when I'm on them. It really is very distracting as a male organism to be turned on by everything lol

I know what you mean there’s a different feeling in the nose when you breath and it leaves a taste in the back of your mouth. Also the change in body odor is noticeable to me, all the sudden you need more deodorant than usual and the smell has a deep earthy scent, but very unpleasant.

Ok, so technically it's not really THAT per se as much as the terrible anxiety it induces and the horrible subconscious feelings it brings up. It's because it's the exact point in time when I can no longer chalk up my symptoms to psychological effects alone, and I know exactly where I'm about to be heading. Knowing you have another 24 hours or more until your methadone pickup AND at the same time wondering just how bad it'll get this time is worse than any of the physical symptoms in my opinion (though I'm certainly not a fan of puking my guts out, wondering how I can possibly even keep my next dose down).

I know a lot of people will know exactly what I mean by smell, but for some reason it's discussed relatively rarely, even on here. First, let me clarify exactly what I mean - I've heard some people describing what seems to be a smell coming from their pores, or their sweat or something...that is NOT what I'm talking about. I can't smell anything on me; if I'm really sick and sweating profusely, I'll obviously notice it, but I usually smell like nothing. It's the ENVIRONMENT that seems to change with that awakening of your sense of smell along with other senses...how you can suddenly notice a big change whether its inside or outside (where it seems to be nothing more than a profoundly increased ability to smell the air and humidity...that may not sound too bad, but it IS). Because not only do I know beyond a doubt what's likely about to happen, but as smells are capable of doing, it takes me right back through the years of suffering, puking, collapsed veins, having to deal with people when all I want to do is curl up and die...well, everyone will know what I mean by THAT, of course.

But that increased sense of smell or whatever it is, is one of the few symptoms that has me compulsively sniffing my hands, the air around me, etc. just waiting to detect it. It sucks.
I know exactly what you mean this might sound weird but a vanilla cappuccino with a spliff or cigarette helps that particular symptom for me and eases others aswell

Opiates dull the senses and that's not too uncommon. They make us lose some of our emotions (the good and bad) in my opinion, but also our sense of touch--pleasure from seeing pretty people or things, etc. It's not severe or anything like that, but at a certain point in the withdrawal increased senses is to be expected. Also, quite a bit of emotions that the high dulled out returns powerfully. You might be watching a Geico commercial and tear up for no reason.

Oh and the libido returns like a lion, for gals and guys. It's like being in 9th grade again level horny while the hormones and testosterone levels go back to the way they were before using. I do miss having virtually no sex drive when I'm on them. It really is very distracting as a male organism to be turned on by everything lol
Oh, absolutely! I couldn't agree more. It may sound a bit strange, but it's annoying to have to deal with that surge in libido. For me though, it happens only near the beginning of the more pronounced phase of the WD because shortly after that, I'm too sick and miserable to be turned on by anything or think of sex at ALL.

Also, I hope I'm not getting a bit too graphic here, but you know what happens when you've reached that point and DON'T do anything about it...let's just say its unwanted and nasty to have to clean up everything if you actually DO manage to get to sleep long enough to dream... ;)

I know exactly what you mean this might sound weird but a vanilla cappuccino with a spliff or cigarette helps that particular symptom for me and eases others aswell
Oh, that's interesting...thanks for the advice! I used to smoke while I was using first pills then H, but then I switched to vaping as I do to this day. The thing for me though is that once I'm at the throwing up/coughing stage of WD with the greatly increased sensory functions along with it, I find that a single puff can taste and feel very strong and acrid and can actually cause me to puke :(

Oh God...another horrible thing that also appears around that stage is something I like to call the Sneezepuke(TM) lol. I literally NEVER sneeze while under the influence of opiates. Even during the initial stages of withdrawal, the reflex is suppressed. But once the first phase is over and the second, far more terrible symptoms begin to appear, I can very easily have a sudden sneezing attack where I can do 7-10 or more rapid-fire sneezes at once. Even then right after that, what sometimes happens after that is the feeling of having to sneeze still hits me...you know, when you still have the strong urge and ALMOST start to sneeze but then don't? Then it's like an intense stongly "itching" nerve impulse rapidly traveling up and through your nose that's quite uncomfortable but not enough to actually trigger any more sneezes...ugh. Know what I mean?

Anyway, if I'm far along enough into the withdrawal process, one of the sneezes can easily make me suddenly gag - and then once THAT happens, I suddenly find that I'm rushing to the toilet to throw up :( It's such a horrible feeling. Worse still, I'm one of the roughly 30% of the population that has sneezes triggered by bright light. Often at that time, simply turning on my computer monitor to a bright white screen will be enough trigger it, and the associated vomiting. The sun certainly does so as well, which can be a definite problem when I'm leaving my apartment to finally go pick up my dose, only to have to worry about sneezing from the sun and then puking in my car. ANY such sneezes can lead to the puking, and for whatever reason I also find that my throat gets irritated and itchy enough to trigger intense coughing as well, just shortly after sneezing.

God, is opioid withdrawal ever sickeningly horrid. You would think that after experiencing it so many times for over ten years now, a person get used to it at least, if not be able to fully tolerate it. No such luck - at least with me. Every WD is worse than the previous one provided the same level of physical symptoms along with anxiety are present.

One question I have while on this topic - the withdrawal I get from methadone after a couple of days without a dose is physically extremely unpleasant; however, even though I know that the symptoms and however lousy they feel at the time, don't come close to those I experienced after days of banging H or Dilaudid, the horrible anxiety I get and the associated emotions feel somehow WORSE at times than when it was far more physicaly severe. At least some of that may be related to knowing that the methadone dose I need to feel better is coming at a VERY specific, exact time, so I can't help compulsively look at the clock and obsess, counting every minute and going through hell. Does anyone know what I mean?? Like, I feel almost like I'm whiny or weak somehow, and that I'm miserable even without the more intense physical withdrawal that others experience and get through.

I feel just like how Homer looks in my pic, just without the smile. Or food :(

Only had the horrible smell during my first cold turkey wd on about day 3 a sick to the stomach smell that lasted a couple of days never on any of my other wd

I got this only from heroin withdrawals, not so much from methadone or oxy. Strange

One of the least bothersome to me. The way my body feels is always #1

What bothers me is the goosechills and depression and anxiety all together it drives me crazy when I shower I'm so sensitive to everything If I touch something I get chillls.