• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

I?m a Greenlighter, so please be patient. Info about oxy insufflating needed here?

Maintain2

Greenlighter
I insufflate about two to four 15 mg of oxys per day- for three years now. That?s less or equal to about third of my prescribed dose-birth defect in spine (spondylolithesis). I always follow with some distilled water and then saline solution. I do not intend to continue this much longer and simply want some basic information and advice. Please read the entire post. I am not seeking information about addiction so please don?t offer any.

The questions: Am I harming my sinuses or other related areas? How can I do this without harming my sinuses? How can I take care of my nostrils until I stop? How do I deal with doctors who may look up my nose? How can I do this so and not get red nostrils or dry flaky skin around my nostrils? How do I do this so that no one notices? Does anyone have any other helpful and experienced ideas?

I have no sores in my nose, but it?s constantly red around the nostrils, and my nostrils always have flaky skin like if I had a cold and blew my nose too much. I apply Carmex/Neosporain around the outside of my nostrils to help any cracking and use makeup to help any redness. It seems no one notices, but maybe I?m kidding myself. I?ve been very lonely as I?m far from my family. The snorting helps me maintain until I get to the space I want.

Honestly, I like the way it quickly gets rid of my pain, and I just like the jolt. I?m not trying to justify anything to anyone, but a bit of background info couldn?t hurt. Having advanced degrees doesn?t help in this situation-wrong field of study. I?ve had some tough things happen in my life in the last five years, but I?m working very hard to get back to the place I want to be-back to the person I want to be. I plan on giving this up as soon as Ive accomplished a few more things because it does get in the way in some aspects. I know I?m depressed and am on an anitdepressant. I?m also in therapy. No lectures are needed.

I?d appreciate any non-judgmental advice. Thank you.

Last edited:
I’m sorry about the obvious typos! I tried to edit, but can’t seem to do it correctly. As I asked, please be patient.

I'm not going to preach because you've asked us not to. Yes, you are harming your sinuses. Your nose and sinus cavities are not meant to have drugs up there so continued snorting could cause permanent damage. It's good to flush your nose out with some saline spray but this will not protect damage from occurring.

Neosporin is fine to use but I find it greasy. What you can do is buy a product like Ayr gel that's designed for nasal use and you can also apply it to the outside of your nostrils where it's irritated. They also sell a good nasal saline spray which was recommended by an otolaryngologist for me because I have a perforated septum. To answer your other concern- No, a regular physician will not know that you are snorting drugs unless you tell them.

The ENT doctor I mentioned above had to perform a nasal endoscopy to diagnose the perforated septum. I was not forthcoming about my previous drug snorting habit due to embarrassment. If you want, I can tell you more. I just didn't want to come off as preachy. I've suffered for years with cervical stenosis and disc spurs, too so I feel your pain. Hope you find a way to overcome this.

T. Calerone,

First, I unintentionally left out an important fact. I have begun to tapper off for the reasons I explain below. As you probably know, it’s not a physical thing-it’s not for me. This is an emotional crutch. No question about that.

I truly appreciate the information you have given and the caring tone. I see that you're a moderator. I understand why. While not advocating things that could harm someone, you are a human advocate. Thank you for that and your time, insightfulness, and care!

It is clear that I could use some more information. Being fragile in general (I’ve lost four of my closest family members in the last three years to various natural causes and my husband two years before that) and very vulnerable about the predicament I am in, could we start slowly? Is it that you want to describe the damage and what it will take to fix it, or even that it can’t be fixed? Could we just start with how long you had your habit before it became a physical problem. I could start there. Reading the rest of my post might help to explain.

You know, If we met on the street or even at a party or something, I would be the last person you would associate with this if it weren’t for your intimate understanding of the problem. That is surprising to me! I can spot someone who is snorting easily.

I braced myself before I read your reply. Telling myself that if someone had posted in a judgmental or harsh way, I would not continue to read. That was the only way I could read it. Yet, it should be obvious-it is apparent that you understand- that scare tactics will not work to “help” me. I’m glad you understand that and only write it for others who might feel the need to lecture, shame, or scare me. I do that well enough on my own.

In all honesty, I have chosen to use this crutch and sort through things on my own rather than confide my utter existential crisis to others including professionals. I understand what would happen if I did that all too well. I know there are routes other than snorting. I can’t really see myself using those.

I have a surgery that is unrelated to my spine and not connected to anything discussed here (a different body part-be careful with your sports young ones) coming up in January of next year. I’ve put it off for too long, and I want to be able to have the surgery in my hometown. I will stop a month or so before that. I’m tapering off as I can currently. This is why I’ve asked only for advice to help me wind this “thing” down. I completely understand I cannot continue this indefinitely. I have no intention to do that. I just can’t take overwhelming changes right now-certainly not quickly. What a “falling off” it would be to screw up as I conclude.

Being a very private person, I’m only posting this here rather than sending you a private message because I hope the discussion might help someone else.

Thank you for your kindness, care, and information.

One step at a time! :)

I’m sorry about your cervical pain. It seems you’re in a good place now. Thanks again.