• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I just took a sip of methadone...

sallysue92

Greenlighter
My friend has a liquid dosage carry out of methadone. The bottle reads 150mg/ (15mL) she left it here and I had a bad day and yeah...
I don't entirely understand the mg and ml reading on the bottle, wondering if anyone knows what that means?
I took a decent sized sip, I didn't measure it out which probably would've been a good idea. But I didn't end up googling it until after
And theres some pretty scary stuff about OD'ing etc. Anyway, I have no opiate tolerance right now. I used H for a month straight a few months ago,
And as soon as I realized I was hooked I quit cold turkey and haven't used anything since. I pop percs pretty regularily though previous to that,
And have snorted oxy etc.., so i'm not entirely unexperienced, but by no means do I have any sort of tolerance right now.
Wondering if what I did was bad? Any tips? And maybe a ball park of how much I drank if I just sipped it, much like a glass of wine I guess.
Thanks

get someone to look after u asap. 150 mg is really a lot and even half of it can kill someone without a tolerance. get someone to look after u asap. when did u take it?

I suggest you seek medical attention especially if you start to feel over sedated as you may need a shot of nalaxone if you over did it, you have to be very careful with stuff like this i have never been on methadone but it is a very strong opiate, if youre not comfortable seeking medical attention have somebody with you that knows what you did so they can watch you just incase, you could die from respritory depression so dont be to hesitant about getting help. You probably will be okay though just watch yourself and know if youre feeling "too much" that it could be life or death not to get help immediately. Good luck.

-trypto

I took it about 30min ago. It really was just a sip? I don't understand is the amount of liquid 150mg? mg is dry though isnt it? I remember her saying they mix it with juice so maybe its 15ml of juice also?
I probably drank about 1/15th of the liquid.

YOU GUYS ARE MAKING ME SO SCARED! Haha. I am 24, female, weigh 155lbs, don't know if that makes a difference, but I am not small.

I don't feel anything at all. Just awful taste in my mouth and a bit yucky in my tummy.
I will give her a call and let her know to check up on me.

Just to post an update I called her...she was pretty mad I took a sip. She instructed me to take a drop, I didn't realize she meant literally an eye-dropper and a drop...
She's on her way over now. I still don't feel anything. I wanted to sip a bit more. She said definitely not.
Thank you guys for your help, I appreciate it :)

if it was really just 1/15 youll be ok.... it takes at least one hour to get through to ur cns and until u can feel any effect and it takes 3 hours to feel the full effect of the dose...

Seriously people die from 100 mg possibly less. Methadone due to long action will require repeated narcan administration's to prevent overdose. You should start feeling it pretty quick getting stronger and stronger only reaching full strength 2-4 hours in. If your alone call ambulance for ER and if you have a friend make sure to inform them to keep an eye on you or bring you to the ER if no narcan is there as the brain decays as you stop breathing and many OD victims have permanent brain damage due to oxygen deprivation as they waited for someone to discover and administer narcan possibly even being put on a respirator (automatic breathing machine).

I do not want to scare you or sound harsh, but you did something foolish and need to take responsibility.... Another member recently nearly died taking a large amount codeine, tramadol, and Xanax. I only told him that it was dangerous due to respiratory depression not to get help ASAP and go to the hospital..... His sister found him 4 minutes after not breathing and is lucky to survive with how much trouble the MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS had obtaining narcan to reverse the overdose and allow breathing top resume.

Edit: if it's 150 mg the whole 15 ml bottle that's 10 mg a ml.... If you drank 1/15 or a ml you took 10 mg. If this is true you are damn lucky and please do not be this foolish and rash again.

I took it about 30min ago. It really was just a sip? I don't understand is the amount of liquid 150mg? mg is dry though isnt it? I remember her saying they mix it with juice so maybe its 15ml of juice also?
I probably drank about 1/15th of the liquid.

If it says "150 mg / 15 ml" that translates to "150 mg per 15 ml", or 10 miligrams per mililiter. If you took a "sip" that presumably equals several mililiters and thus a significant amount of methadone.

Edit: Ok, if you only drank 1/15 of the bottle then that would indeed be only an ml or 10 mg.

At least she told her friend what she did.

For anyone reading this, always measure out oral solutions of potent drugs. It's not difficult to get a small cup that tells you where 5ml, 10ml, 15ml are. If the solution says 150mg/15ml that means 15ml of the liquid is 150mg of methadone.

But 15ml would be quite a big sip. If you had closer to 5ml (roughly a teaspoon worth) or under you should be fine, but definitely make sure someone watches you just in case.

This is yet another reason why recreational Methadone use can be so deadly. If one were taking Nyquil or some other liquid medication, 15ml could be a small dose, but when you're dealing with super-high potency shit made for hardened Opioid addicts, 15ml of 10mg/ml could easily cause death 3 times over in a non-tolerant individual. There's really no excuse for this sort of behavior. It's so dangerous and OP obviously has internet access. A google search of Methadone syrup would yield practical advice in seconds.

There's behaving recklessly because you're an addict and you're desperate (sharing needles, lack of aseptic injection technique etc.) and then there's just making stupid decision due to ignorance and arrogance like this. Fatalities from Methadone are real and happen all the time. The nature of the drug itself and the fact that maintenance doses are so high all factor in to what make it so dangerous.

Bad situation. You could easily OD from 1/4 of the bottle.

From what I've read up on methadone, 50mg is considered a toxic/potentially lethal dose in most opiate naive people. I once took 100 mg like an idiot after being clean off subs for over a month and I had only been using opiates about 8 months prior, so my tolerance was basically completely baseline and the 100mg almost killed me. I didn't OD, but I had people around me smacking me, carrying me around etc...Not a proud moment.

It's kind of impossible to tell you what kind of danger your in considering you didn't measure out your dose, but you should make sure someone is around you. The probability is that you'll most likely just get really high to the point where it's not fun, but it's not worth gambling with your life man. There are so many factors that go into play here too that we don't know, your height, weight, metabolism, did you take it on an empty stomach, and if not what food did you eat and were any other drugs, prescription or OTC consumed etc... 1/5 of 150mg would be 30mg I believe, but then 1/5 is jus an estimate... Also methadone takes a long ass time to kick in the first few times you consume it, so if an hour goes by and you don't feel much of anything don't think you're out of the woods, after two hours if you're feeling like your OK (i.e. you're not having trouble keeping out of nods, you're not turning blue, etc..) then you're most likely out of the woods.

IF you do start to feel symptoms of severe respiratory depression, go to the hospital, they can give you Narcane to reverse the effects.

Also, I know what I'm saying and a lot of other people are saying sounds probably terrifying, but TRY not to panic, the likeliness is that you'll probably be okay, but it would be irresponsible for anyone to tell you just to kick back and enjoy yourself and that you're definitely going to be A OK, this is a harm reduction board and the goal is to help keep users alive, so we tend to stay on the side of caution.