• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

I just don't get subs at all?

Opiatehell85

Bluelighter
Ok, so last week I posted about my subutex giving me a high which was odd, now I'm on 10mg a day taken sublingually of a morning. Most days I do not feel nothing from it except increased good mood and energy. Went pharmacy today took 8mg and went on my way to meet my mum for breakfast, sat down started talking about my detox progress an how well I'm doing with a cup of tea and start feeling high as a kite, lots of euphoria and pin point pupils, i just don't get it, I hadn't even took my other 2mg either! Why do some days I feel nothing and other days I feel high? Do you think it could be the brands they use eg activist and teva etc? So confused!!

Even when I was taking my suboxone as prescribed it would provide energy and mood lift, that is why they were so hard for me to get off of and i think methadone will be easier for me. There are a lot of factors that can impact how your medication effects you and the most important for this one is probably absorption. Suboxone is only so readily absorbed in the stomach and it is nearly twice as effective Sublingual so if you managed to get a decent chunk of that 10mg absorbed correctly it can feel like more then it did the day before.

Then there are things like fat content in blood, if you brushed your teeth and gums it can help too from removing a biofilm layer from your mouth and help it get absorbed. And there is also the idea that you were talking about how well you are doing and how great your life is coupled with the slight mood lift and energy from subs it could have intensified an already existing effect. Who really knows though, a single data point such as this one experience leads to a lot of variables... which is basically what my whole post is saying :)

Idk but those experiences r very far n few between I.m.o. My buddy didn't recognize it but few weeks ago I waited prolly 5-6 hrs passed my normal dosing time & took my usual dose. Smoked like I usually do but my voice was raspy (like it used to b on opes) & I remember driving back from dropping him off thinking "I feel perfect" & that is something I never think. N haven't thought since my dope days.

Thanks for the replies, yeah I'm thinking if I done something different that day, I always use sublingually, and always brush my teeth beforehand etc as I worry the subs might effect my teeth. Only thing I can think of is the day before I only took 8mg as I forgot to take the other 2mg, is less more with subutex? Fat content in blood?? Does that mean what you've ate previously? Doesn't take much to confuse me haha! Yeah I did take a little later than usual but I wasn't in withdrawal or anything, I suppose I'll just have to see if it happens again, it definitely hasn't happened since!

Ok so I've found a pattern, I go pharm on a Monday weds and Friday, I get Tuesday's, Thursday's and sat, Sunday's allowance on them three days. I also have to take supervised on them three days too, they are the days I seem to be getting a high from the buprenophine.... Could it be he's giving me different branded meds to take home, today my 2mg are activis and my 8mg are sandoz prefibin 8mg sublingual. I've never had them 8s before, they're usually activis too....so tomorrow I'll know if it is certain brands or not. Must be my addictive personality that's taking over for me to stress over this haha! Just find it really strange! Also the ones I take supervised dissolve really quickly, take home ones really slow but seem to be getting better effects when dissolved quick.

I recently learned at lower doses something like below 3-4 mg u aren't getting that blocking effect from the nalox , coupled w/ waiting a few hours after my normal dosing time is why I think I felt the way I did. You're rx'ed subs but they give u different brands everytime? Am I understanding that right? Never heard that b4

I've always read posts about less is more with bupe. As for my experience I can say I felt no different from taking 4mgs compared to 8mgs so I can relate to others.

I've been experiencing the same thing-now, today marks one week of being on subs ( so that can be a possible factor too), but the first few days (the days when in the past I'd usually get the most bang out of the buprenorphine) I found myself still experiencing lethargy and depression, I was also messing around with my dose, plugging it sometimes, taking it sublingually at others, the first few days I took 12mg, then dropped down to 8-10 for the last few days. On the third day, I decided not to plug 4mg but instead take 8mg sublingually (I hadn't yet taken a full strip yet, even though plugging 4mg is about equipotent to 7mg of buprenorphine taken sublingually so long as your bowels are empty). The 8mg fuck me up, nodding out and everything. The last few days I've been taking 6mg in the morning and another 2mg at night. The 6mg initially gives me that mood enhancing stimulant property that I love, and then it sometimes makes me start to nod out, but not always. And the times when it does make me nod, I'm really nodding, like a full on fat shot of smack nod. It is really weird, the inconsistent effect of this drug. The one thing that never seems to fail though is that energy boost and anti-depressant effect which is really helpful for me. TBH I have had no real heroin cravings the last few days, only stimulant cravings, which is amazing, seeing where I was at a month ago.

Buprenorphine gets nocked down as being 'just another addictive opioid that sucks to withdrawal off of' but I'm really thankful that its available. I've done methadone and buprenorphine both and I can say with certainty that IMO suboxone/subutext works way better for me, and despite it being a partial mu agonist, I get way more buzzed off of it than I do from say, 50mg of methadone (which oddly enough I barely feel, I'm basing this from taking that dose when not on suboxone obviously, I know buprenorphine blocks full agonists).

I recently learned at lower doses something like below 3-4 mg u aren't getting that blocking effect from the nalox , coupled w/ waiting a few hours after my normal dosing time is why I think I felt the way I did. You're rx'ed subs but they give u different brands everytime? Am I understanding that right? Never heard that b4
Yeah that's right, I'm on subutex (buprenophine no na lox) as I've never injected drugs, sometimes I'll get subutex brand, which make me high, but 9 times outta 10 I'll just get activis buprenophine , which give me nausea, just don't get it at all as to why different brands make me feel differently, but I'm gonna bring it up with them on my next clinic app.

I've been experiencing the same thing-now, today marks one week of being on subs ( so that can be a possible factor too), but the first few days (the days when in the past I'd usually get the most bang out of the buprenorphine) I found myself still experiencing lethargy and depression, I was also messing around with my dose, plugging it sometimes, taking it sublingually at others, the first few days I took 12mg, then dropped down to 8-10 for the last few days. On the third day, I decided not to plug 4mg but instead take 8mg sublingually (I hadn't yet taken a full strip yet, even though plugging 4mg is about equipotent to 7mg of buprenorphine taken sublingually so long as your bowels are empty). The 8mg fuck me up, nodding out and everything. The last few days I've been taking 6mg in the morning and another 2mg at night. The 6mg initially gives me that mood enhancing stimulant property that I love, and then it sometimes makes me start to nod out, but not always. And the times when it does make me nod, I'm really nodding, like a full on fat shot of smack nod. It is really weird, the inconsistent effect of this drug. The one thing that never seems to fail though is that energy boost and anti-depressant effect which is really helpful for me. TBH I have had no real heroin cravings the last few days, only stimulant cravings, which is amazing, seeing where I was at a month ago.Buprenorphine gets nocked down as being 'just another addictive opioid that sucks to withdrawal off of' but I'm really thankful that its available. I've done methadone and buprenorphine both and I can say with certainty that IMO suboxone/subutext works way better for me, and despite it being a partial mu agonist, I get way more buzzed off of it than I do from say, 50mg of methadone (which oddly enough I barely feel, I'm basing this from taking that dose when not on suboxone obviously, I know buprenorphine blocks full agonists).
Yeah it is very odd, I know some of the factors when taking sublingually means that you can sometimes get more of the drug absorbed than other days, eg brushing your teeth, not smoking etc, I don't do any of this twenty mins before or after taken sublingually so the only thing I can think of is the brands that they use. I guess I'll never find out for sure until I'm given the same brand on consecutive days on the run, my pharmacist seems to swap and change constantly

Yeah that's right, I'm on subutex (buprenophine no na lox) as I've never injected drugs, sometimes I'll get subutex brand, which make me high, but 9 times outta 10 I'll just get activis buprenophine , which give me nausea, just don't get it at all as to why different brands make me feel differently, but I'm gonna bring it up with them on my next clinic app.

Super interesting , are you in the US? I'm on east coast, never injected anything either although prob sniffed more than the majority of sniffers lol , no ones (clinics, docs) ever brought up subutex to me , just suboxone w/ the nalox which I'm scribed. someone on here told me the nalox in my subox could b why I've been feeling so shitty on them though so if I could choose I would prob choose subutex, and if I had to guess that is why u (no Nolax or "blocker" )are feeling those effects more regularly than me (subox, nolax). When I felt that way it was on under 2mg of subox, I heard the blocking effects aren't really there at doses under 3-4mg , so it would deff make sense. I would try to get them to just give u a set brand ( preferably the one u feel best on, least negeffects) so you aren't just guessing as to why u are feeling a certain way. I smoke ciggys right b4 I take my meds sublingually , and right after . Everyday, everytime. This way I sort of know it isn't my routine interfering . W/ the bioavailability so low w/ bupe anyway (sublingual) & having a script it doesn't really matter to me if I'm not absorbing an extra 10% or w.e. the # might be. Smokin my ciggys b4 & after everytime sort of eliminates that problem of (was it the ciggys or?) for me....if I didn't smoke regularly b4/after doses & just decided to put the blue I'm sure it would screw me up but hve made it my normal so it does not

Super interesting , are you in the US? I'm on east coast, never injected anything either although prob sniffed more than the majority of sniffers lol , no ones (clinics, docs) ever brought up subutex to me , just suboxone w/ the nalox which I'm scribed. someone on here told me the nalox in my subox could b why I've been feeling so shitty on them though so if I could choose I would prob choose subutex, and if I had to guess that is why u (no Nolax or "blocker" )are feeling those effects more regularly than me (subox, nolax). When I felt that way it was on under 2mg of subox, I heard the blocking effects aren't really there at doses under 3-4mg , so it would deff make sense. I would try to get them to just give u a set brand ( preferably the one u feel best on, least negeffects) so you aren't just guessing as to why u are feeling a certain way. I smoke ciggys right b4 I take my meds sublingually , and right after . Everyday, everytime. This way I sort of know it isn't my routine interfering . W/ the bioavailability so low w/ bupe anyway (sublingual) & having a script it doesn't really matter to me if I'm not absorbing an extra 10% or w.e. the # might be. Smokin my ciggys b4 & after everytime sort of eliminates that problem of (was it the ciggys or?) for me....if I didn't smoke regularly b4/after doses & just decided to put the blue I'm sure it would screw me up but hve made it my normal so it does not

Hey, no I'm in the uk. Seems here that subutex is prescribed more than suboxone which is strange! Yeah I have my routine too, always make sure my teeth are clean etc, I don't smoke until about ten mins after tabs absorbed. Mine absorb really quickly, I don't know how people manage to keep it there for twenty mins! I must have a juicy mouth haha! Good luck on your detox :)

Hey, no I'm in the uk. Seems here that subutex is prescribed more than suboxone which is strange! Yeah I have my routine too, always make sure my teeth are clean etc, I don't smoke until about ten mins after tabs absorbed. Mine absorb really quickly, I don't know how people manage to keep it there for twenty mins! I must have a juicy mouth haha! Good luck on your detox :)

Hiya. Im a fellow female heroin addict from the UK. I found your thread doing a Google search.

Can I ask what your previous heroin usage and ROI was? Coz to be on 12mg a day you must have either had a huge habit for a very long time, or, as is more likely, you've got a completely clueless doctor.

Less is most definitely more when it comes to subutex. And by less I mean waaaay less than 12mg.

I don't want to scare anyone reading this I just want people to know the score about sub before they get on subutex in the first place or get put on a dose that's too high. Being on a dose that's too high can make you feel terrible and even longterm iv addicts mostly only need 2-4mg a day.

I was subutex naive when I went into rehab. I had a 6 bag a day IV habit. They put me on a rapid taper that went like this:

Day 1 8mg
Day 2 7mg
Day 3 6 mg
Day 4 5 mg
Day 5 4 mg
Day 6 3 mg
Day 7 2mg
Day 8 1mg
Day 9 0.5mg
Day 10 finish

I spent the next week feeling like I'd found the miracle cure for heroin withdrawal. Yep you know what's coming right? A week later I was in hospital because the withdrawals kicked in so badly I couldn't even keep a sip of water down. I had to shuffle across the floor on my bum like a baby because I had literally 0 energy and was crazy dizzy.

The rehab I was in was one of the "best" in the country, certainly one of the most expensive but let me tell you clueless isn't the word. Being a 12 step based rehab most of the therapists and house managers are all ex addicts/alcoholics. As an example of how great this rehab was one of the house managers in charge of dispending the meds laughed at me when I told her that subutex is an opioid. Being abstinence based 12 step rehab the only other meds allowed during the stay was 6 zopiclone! Thats in totality not per week. I wasnt even allowed anything apart from metaclopramide (? think that's what is called... for nausea and vomiting). The doctor actually prescribed a tiny dose of lygactil because at tiny doses it doesnt give the usual doped up effect it just stops you being sick. It's a horrible feeling where you do still actually vomit but it stops before it comes out of the mouth if that makes sense. But when the rehab director found out he stopped me from taking it! I was projectile vomiting and he just over rode the advice of a doctor!. During group therapy which was 7 hours every day i was so poorly i couldn't sit on the chair. One of the therapists told me in front of the group that he thought i was faking the withdrawals for attention because you don't withdraw from subutex! He was even an ex heroin addict but before subs were available and he'd been on methadone so you'd think he would have had more empathy.

During clucking i was also expected to cook for the other 8 housemates and do my share of housework. Im not complaining about these things per se I'm just trying to draw attention to how utterly clueless even so called professionals are when it comes to subutex. I was even told that my experience of feeling depressed post heroin/subutex was abnormal lol. This experience made me try to find out as much about this medication that because of clueless doctors nearly killed me.

Anyway my point for posting is really as a warning to anyone who is about to go onto subutex and who's doctor has started them at a dose of 8mg or more. 8mg is a huge dose of subutex. Shit 4mg is a huge dose of subutex. They give late stage cancer patients something like 1mg a day ffs.

If anyone is looking to get high from their subutex obviously they're not ready to quit their DOC in which case they should do themselves a favour and just stay on it until serious about quitting because unless they've got a really caring doctor, getting on the subs will likely be a decision they will come to regret.

Please don't think I'm demonising subs. Im not. It truly is a good thing IF the prescribing doctor is knowledgeable and sadly most aren't. In fact people on these forums probably have more of a clue. In order to be licensed to prescribe subs a doctor has to complete a short online course and by short I mean hours.

Admittedly opiate addicts who have been on it for years and who've tried everything else might benefit from subutex maintenance but people with small habits who have only been at it a while have no business being put on subs for longer than a few days.... and those few days should not resemble the protocol they put me on. Subs have a 72 hour half life and if I was any good at maths I would work out how much sub was in my system when I stopped taking it. But I'm betting it was significantly higher than the 0.12mg dose that's recommended to jump off of lol.

I've detox ed since from a hefty iv heroin habit with one single 8mg pill. If you're ready to quit and can put up with minimal WDs you should consider this route. Of course the usual applies regarding having a good support system in place for after withdrawal. I think that sometimes having to go to the chemist every day or every week etc just keeps you in the drug life mindset. I'd personally rather get the WD out of the way and get on with life . I think that's why 12 steps/NA never really helped me. Being told that I would die a hopeless addict unless I went to meetings most days for the rest of my life didn't help.

Anyway I hope that this post gets even one person to think carefully about getting on sub longterm and i hope everyone who wants to get off the opiates does so and finds all the happiness there is to be had in life.

Love Phoebe x

^Damn Miss Phoebe that's a huge post! I cant believe I just read that whole thing, sorry not trying to be an asshole or anything I am just rather blunt.. just saying more people will probably actually read your post when its a bit shorter... just a heads up since your new to BL, and welcome btw! But yeah..sounds like a bunch of fucking idiots at that rehab you went to saying subutex isn't an opioid, and that you cant withdrawl from it?!! Fucking Really? That is unreal, that a doctor of all people wouldn't know that! come on.. And I am one of those people who needs to be on subs long term or I just keep relapsing.. I was a really bad opiate addict to everything from pharm opioids like oxycodone, oxymorphone, hydromorphone, morphine, to eventually just becoming a heroin addict with a few pharms in between, started just railing oxy/H, then smoking oxy/H, tried plugging oxy a few times, then picked up the needle and never looked back, until I got on subs and stuck with them after a few previous failed attempts and relapses. I was doing enormous amounts of oxy and H, very good quality, strong H too. Subutex more than likely saved my life, I lost lots of friends to H, or mixing H with benzos and coke.. That's when I stopped, when one of my best friends died of an OD from H.. I don't care how long I am on subs, I have actually learned to like them now, I am not someone who a short taper would work for, like I said I would just relapse, no doubt. They are much safer, cheaper, and better than doing H, plus I have a script so they are legal to have! I will agree that the w/ds from subs are fucking disgusting though! horrible WDs, way worse than H. Very thankful subs are so easily available, not only here in the US but all around the world! They save lives for sure and feel awesome IMO! I LOVE BUPE.

^^

HI I love to nod

Ha yeah sorry it's a long post but I type at like 100wpm so I always type more than I mean to.... train of consciousness kind of thing.

BTW it wasn't the rehab doc who said it wasn't an opioid it was one of the house managers... all just glorified baby sitters who were previous clients. I just think if someone's gonna dispense drugs they should at least know what they are and should damn well never argue with an addict about drugs lol.

Yeah like I said I've nothing against bupe and you are one of the ones who maintenance works for and that's great I mean if it saves your life then you couldn't ask for more. But most people don't need that and I'm the level of screening involved isn't enough and people who are potential sub clients are not given accurate info or any info at all for the most part.

I didn't start on the H till I was 37 years old. And I injected it the first time. Have tried smoking it since but can't get the hang of it and frazzled the stuff. .. Anyway it kinda seemed like a waste to burn something I could inject.

It's really good to know that you're doing well on the maintenance programme. Long may that continue!

Much love
Phoebe

Ps ^^ check out the short posting! If only that kind of self control was evident in other areas of my life.

Thanks phoebe! I appreciate that, I hope you can continue to stay off opiates as well.. I know the urges are hard to fight, I know that all too well, as I have relapsed from subs to dope/oxy/other opioids more than once. It is a life long craving that will never "truly" go away.. I mean with subs I don't think about using nearly as much, but without them or on low doses of subs like I was for a while taking 1-2mg a day, I was much more tempted to get some opis or H... And I also think that some doctors need a bit more info and knowledge on subs before they start handing them out like candy to anyone! Some sub docs, ones I have had, are so stupid! They just think subs are some drug with no negative side effects at all, that you can take for years and just stop like that! its ridiculous some of these sub docs even have a license to prescribe them, and how they will give someone with a 5mg a day Vicodin habit like 24mg of sub instead! that's just stupid! But what can we do.. they are out there and we can do a damn thing about it but just avoid them at all costs... Good luck to you Phoebe, hope you keep that monkey off your back, and if you can do it without subs or methadone, all the more respect to you. its easier for some people than others to just do quick tapers.. I am terrified of jumping off my bupe and don't plan on getting off anytime soon, don't care how long I am on it, just so long as I don't get caught up in the dope game again.. too many friends of mine, and just people I knew, have died from H..