• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

I have no social skills and am worried about my future.

Accoun

Greenlighter
I don't have any friends. I find it very hard to have conversation with people. When people do converse, after I say whatever I say, I notice them trying to get out of the conversation as quickly as possible.

While I am on antidepressants, I'm still quite horny. I jerk off about 3 times a day. Being a loner, girls don't come anywhere near me(except for people who try to extort money).

The fact that I cannot attract a sexual partner really bothers me. I realize I should be more worried about the fact that I have no friends, but the testosterone makes me prioritize sex and relationships.

But what really makes me want to become an ex-human, is when people say you need social skills and connections to get a job. If I can't get a job, I cannot live! Why not just get it over with now and off myself?

I know that people are going to tell me to try to improve my social skills. But I basically have the social intelligence of a baby. I need to get up to my current age in a very small amount of time, and that is unreasonable. During this time I am trying to become somewhat normal, I have to support myself. I am also in college and have to deal with that. I need a job. I have applied to many minimum wage jobs to tide me over, and they never even called me back.

But even if I could get a job, is there a point to living without human relations?

I need to get up to my current age in a very small amount of time, and that is unreasonable.

why? you have your whole life

i too have some problems making friends, i just can't seem to connect to people easily, and i believe having good friends who you can trust and just don't give a fuck is essential for life, so i see what you mean.

all advice i could say to you is impossible to put into a single post, you should do a bit of your own research on the subject.

first, you probably don't have poor social skills. you might be bad at it, i am too, but you don't need to be the most charismatic person ever. it's likely that you have social anxiety. being anxious around social situations will make your social skills look worse. being chill during social situations naturally makes you take the right decisions you know, kind of actually...

so, imo, first get off the fucking anti-depressants, seriously, they do nothing.

then second. get over your social anxiety. it's gonna be a hard task, but try. you can only live in a world together with other people if you are not afraid of them. read about CBT, body language, mindfulness, get a therapist that can help you with CBT, give you some exercises. start saying hi to the cashier, to the bus driver, trying to make small talk with people wherever.

also, i'm gonna give you one advice. there are benzos, which are GREAT FOR ACUTE TREATMENT of social anxiety. they are like a band-aid. if i take 2.5mgs of clonazepam when i wake up, i go through all day anxiety-free, being able to go out without dreadful negativity and all that shit - and that even makes me wake up in a good mood on the following day -, but remember, benzodiazepines do cause physical dependence and withdrawing from them will be hell. some people would say to stay completely away from them but i use them a few days a week and have had no problems whatsoever with dependence since the beginning - last year as i'm quite young -. i don't find them recreational at all so i don't have the urge to use them.

also there are going to be some internal beliefs there and shit in your head you're gonna have to change or sort out, but only yourself can do this

stay positive, go out, feeling alone in this world is fucking hard. i wish you all the best 'cuz i know how it is to feel afraid of the world but at the same time lonely and wanting to have at least one person you can count one. anxiety is a bitch.

i could go on and on, but i'll stop here

good luck and peace

Basically just be yourself man. You'll see yourself start to connect with like minded people. Never try and be something your not just to make friends or get a girlfriend because if they only know and like the fake you, what's the point?

I was shy when I was younger, but drugs really helped me be myself and be a lot more social. In that way they definitely improved my life.

I have pretty shit social skills, but I was able to fit in being as mellow as I possibly could be. I don't really make conversation, but seriously just acting detached is good enough. Do this around people who you just met, not people who already think you're strange. Your choice in clothes helps. Don't even worry about the job thing, everyone knows that's tough. Social skills are a thing you have to learn, and btw it's something I don't think can be mastered, but we do what we can. Being high helps, weed in a party situation or adderall wherever. And whatever you do, don't be a douche.

ps, I was homeschooled
pps, why are you online right now if this is something you're worried about

First bit of advice is don't be jacking it three times a day, that's a tad excessive. You'll have more confidence and aura about you if you aren't doing it that frequently, and girls naturally pick up on that.. I don't know if it's the pheromones or what it is, but it works. I also believe there is a connection between frequent masturbation and social anxiety. Plus you'll feel better about yourself and have more energy to put towards making other areas of your life better if you don't waste all that time and energy jerkin.

In my experience the only way to truly begin to overcome social anxiety is to constantly engage in social interactions until you become numb to the anticipation of the next moment which in turn creates the anxiety.. i have noticed that when i become recluse and remain at home for a prolonged period of time, my social skills deteriorate.. this is in spite of been incredibly social weeks or months earlier. This frustrates me the most because social skills really are nothing permanent but something that needs to be constantly maintained and exercised.

You could be a at home kind of dad..your just missing the other..
Have you tried going out and having a few drinks? Get some pep to your step and go talk to the girls. Get a fresh cut, lift some weighs.
Look into volunteering somewhere local (to 'get out of your self'..mostly)to holler at bitchs.

Pick yourself up by the bootstraps and get your shit together.

Fuck the women. They'll come later once you improve yourself. Right now focus on bettering your life. Concentrate on doing the best you can at whatever it is you're doing. School? Nail that shit. Pick up some hobbies, something that already interests you. Go out to where people do these things. Learn something new. Don't do it for any other reason than becoming a bad ass motherfucker. Start working out. Get busy. Make something of yourself. The universe isn't going to hand you anything. You have to set your own personal goals, both short term & long term, and work every day to achieve them. That should be your only concern above all else.

Once you do these things, you'll become more confident without even trying. You'll meet people with similar interests, hopefully one of them will be a girl. You'll get to talking and it will all work itself out naturally without you having to try.

But you have to take that first step. And it starts now.

Basically just be yourself man.
I see this advice often and object. The OP sounds like a loser. Plain & simple. So 'being yourself' is a bad idea in his case. Now, I do wholeheartedly agree with not being fake and purporting to be someone you're not. That kind of attitude may only work for a very short time, but eventually you'll be exposed. That's trying to change your outside before the inside, which is ass backwards.

But the OP shouldn't despair. There's hope yet. You have to stay positive. Don't let a shitty yesterday ruin and perfectly good today.

Here's an excerpt from "The Strangest Secret" by Earl Nightingale:

George Bernard Shaw said, “People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can’t find them, they make them.”

We become what we think about.

Conversely, the person who has no goal, who doesn’t know where he’s going, and whose thoughts must therefore be thoughts of confusion, anxiety and worry – his life becomes one of frustration, fear, anxiety and worry. And if he thinks about nothing… he becomes nothing.

"Big Dick Earl" Nightingale is the man. The entire audiobook fucking owns and is super short. Highly recommended:

I have the life, decision making, and social skills of a 5-year old I've been told. Not literally like a 5-year old of course, but in a very general sense. I use to be on anti-depressants myself. When I stopped masturbating everything started changing. Within a month the depression, negativity, and anxiety were gone. Too bad Western doctors know little to nothing about the importance of conserving one's semen. Oh ya, I also became a vegetarian at the same time which I'm sure played a part in me being able to go medication free so quickly.

There's a lot of inner peace in being alone. You aren't being confronted with any ideas that challenge the way you think about things, and this could be a good thing. There are a million fates worse than just being alone and on assistance, and suicide isn't an out the way you want it to be. 18 years and you'll probably be back to square one in your next life, depending on how badly your suicide pisses off the man upstairs, you could end up in more pain than now. Just make the best of things as they are. Baby steps.

When I stopped masturbating everything started changing. Within a month the depression, negativity, and anxiety were gone. Too bad Western doctors know little to nothing about the importance of conserving one's semen.

OP, this is the practical step you need to take. If you're unsure google the topic, there's enough people telling their stories now :)

Yes... 3 times a day is draining you. Stop. At a young age I noticed how I'd have anxiety after masturbating. There was a loss. My social skills would suffer. I would suck at soccer.

All I can say is I feel you. You have to develop self awareness so that you can at least adapt to the social norms that are expected within reason in a job situation. Mine is mostly ADD, but I also have alot of anxiety. I have to put my mind on super radar in new social situations to be sure I am not messing up. It is hard. Study people. I am not saying change, but adapt enough to make a living unless u want to work in a vacuum.

i'm in pretty much the same situation as you OP, ive never been on a date with a girl, i am a social recluse, i see my friends maybe once every 2 weeks. i cant make any friends at uni, i struggle to do any homework, my social skills are terrible, i have had no job for 7 months, and i can never get past an interview.

the difference is i dont think that i should kill myself, because i know that things will improve in the future, if you are taking steps towards living a more fulfilling life, you wont feel so hopeless. start by working on having compassion for yourself, you're probably 20 or something, heaps of people are in the same position as you, you'r not special in that regard. try to stop jacking off (search reddit nofap), that is what turned my life around significantly in the past, exercise every day, stop using the internet for anything besides study.

good luck

the solution for you, OP, as has been reitterated i dont kno how many times..........

http://www.nofap.org/forum/forum.php Learn about it, figure out how it can benefit you, and most importantly take action to make a conscious change. Edit: sorry if that seems sloppy with the title but im buzzin pretty nice off 10mg of zolp right this momentololbrolonoiaintwearinapolo.;-)

yes hello i think that i have a decent appreciation for the sort of issues you are going through, at least, to some extent; i would like to present some practical advice, but the problem is, there is not always practical advice to be said in every situation; the altogether rare condition of sagacity often eludes the majority of us for a good majority of the time, so, that's like a majority, squared. long story short, advice is only as good as you make it out to be, only as good as you allow it to be. a few points to consider:

"When people do converse, after I say whatever I say, I notice them trying to get out of the conversation as quickly as possible."

i do not mean to cast any doubt upon your perceptions of reality, but i would like to proffer the suggestion that some of this may just be the product of a paranoid & anxious mind, curating all the available details in a situation and attempting to assemble them into a rational image of reality. problem is, it's hard to make rational judgements and the like when your mind is currently in an irrational phase (anxiety brought about from having to socially interact; i suffer from this way too much myself).

as per the overcharged sexuality and desire to have a sexual mate, that is a respectable desire, as it really is the biological imperative, as it were. it's hard to ignore certain biological impulses, but with the proper amount of training and dedication, one can train oneself to tone down the reaction to given external (and internal) stimuli. long story short, your testosterone may jack your machismo into overdrive, but there is a certain amount of willpower and personal duty involved in handling such a situation. it's hard to understand how when the entire concept is that there is no control invited into the situation, that there is any way the self can be held responsible. this is not being held responsible in a "hey you're guilty prepare 4 bubba" sense, more a "hey just to let you know, things can be different" sense. the implication isn't that you're necessarily irresponsible as a person, only that perhaps you don't know how to take the responsibility of overpowering said base desires. but then again, it may have just been easy for me because sex was never a priority. that's a hell all it's own though, i'll tell you that.

people say you need social skills and connections to get a job? i have never heard that. i, however, have heard of specialized job boards, of freelancing, of craigslist, of different concepts like that. i myself do get turned down from minimum wage positions as well (the whole hey we're just not going to respond to u ever k luv u bai <3~~~), which amuses me because on the surface, that's all it would seem i'm qualified for (yay no college); however, i have held down multiple positions, from tech support, to direct home care for the mentally handicapped, to web and software development. the direct home care was more i found a place to work where my fiancee worked at (i needed a job | also pls don't get the wrong idea or take the wrong implications from the fiancee; despite finding a kindred soul, i still am lost deep in the realms of social anxiety, even with her). either way, i'm getting too far behind myself. or ahead, not sure which.

you have the social intelligence of a baby? i think you have a higher level of social intelligence than you think, just because you're self-aware enough to realize that your social intelligence is not exactly up to par. you have the responsibilities of life calling; that's a natural phenomenon. you can't stress yourself out about it too much, or you'll kill your vibe and end up sabotaging everything you do, even if unintentionally so. depression decays into a surprisingly elegant, but crushingly defeatist self-defeating cycle. there's no way to avoid that if you are dealing with depression, unless you can find a way to bring yourself back to reality. realize that happiness is not something that you are meant to feel all the time; it's a reward for doing something that satisfies you. it's a reward for doing something that makes you feel good. it's a reward, not a standard mode of existence. just because you are not happy all the time, does not mean that you necessarily have to always be unhappy. neutrality is more than it's cracked up to be.

hey, at least you don't have a baby! that would make your life an interesting breed of hell (not necessarily because of the baby, as baby is wonderful! but not good for those who are not ingrained with responsibility). i can state that from experience. that's a whole story i would not like to dredge up right now, however; just know that it ultimately boils down to, it's okay to tell other people no, even if you think it's going to hurt them. that was something i failed to be able to do.

you're in college and have to deal with that? then deal with that, it seems that you've already made a plan, and are ready to tackle it. maybe you're afraid to, and if you are, that shit's okay. there's no shame in admitting that you're afraid, there's no shame in admitting that you feel like you can't do something, and there's no shame in asking for help. there are resources available at your college, i'm willing to bet, that may be able to assist you in maintaining a more appropriate balance of life and college. as to finding a job? my best advice is to identify what you do best, then target that. i've gotten jobs doing web and software development (as mentioned earlier) without having any actual formal experience. just, don't be afraid to reach for the stars, because the worst that can happen is you'll fall on your ass. last i checked, it's rly easy to get back up on your feet. just gotta believe in yourself.

people say that extinction or exposure therapy or w/e can help with anxiety, throwing yourself into situations until you can tolerate them, but the problem with that and social anxiety is that the anxiety is dynamic; it's not one specific stimulus that will evoke the fight-or-flight response that completely overtakes you; it's a complex patchwork of everything going on throughout the social interaction. exposure therapy might help mitigate it a little, but the best way to get past it is to learn how to maintain a rational state of mind in certain circumstances; this is something i really only choose to do in a professional setting, as it is way too stressful for me right now in most casual interaction. eventually, though, you will find something that will empower you. confidence is what breeds confidence, but before you can get that first bit of confidence, you have to identify something that you feel successful at, and use that to bolster your self-image. trust me, there's gotta be something you're good at; everyone has some skill somewhere. i recommend some time for actual introspection, not these fatalist (ok maybe not fatalist maybe more nihilist) musings.

oh, and, everybody says to be yourself, and some disagree saying that if yourself is the problem, why encourage that? i say be who you want to be. get to a point mentally where you feel you are the person you want to be, and learn to accept that that is the person you are. we all have strengths, we all have weaknesses. i find it's easiest to embrace the human condition; life sucks and then you die, but hey, that doesn't mean you can't make it suck a little less.

-ozz