• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos I have a question about Valium, Valium tolerance, and Valium prescribing.

jm149

Greenlighter
So I suffer from Temporomandibular joint disorder. I have had it for almost seven years and it has been getting worse over the years. My doctor prescribed me a muscle relaxer called Cylobenzaprine to help when I have TMJD issues.
The Cylobenzaprine relieved the muscle issues I have had in my back but did not help with my TMJD what so ever. A few weeks ago I ended up in the ER because my TMJD caused my jaw to lock and I was having a lot of pain.
The ER prescribed me 5mg Valium. It was only a 3 days script but I made it last about 10 days because it was prescribed 4 times a day for 3 days. The Valium gave me so much relief from my TMJD symptoms and I really liked the way it effected my disposition about things, like mentally. I do have anxiety and it can get pretty bad. Anyways, I went to a Oral Maxillofacial dr for my tmjd after the ER and he refused to give me any more Valium because he didn't like prescribing controlled substances.

I followed up with my main doctor and was able to get a prescription for 5mg once a day for 14 days.

I really like taking this medication and would like to continue it not only for the TMJD but also due to the improvement in my anxiety and over all disposition about things. How am I supposed to get more? I could tell that my doctor was a little sketched but still did it. I don't want to go back in 2 weeks and look like I am just trying to get drugs or anything like that. What should I do? If any of you have are prescribed this or any other drugs that are hard to get, how did you get a script with refills and all that?

Also, how quick does Valium tolerance build and how long does it take for it to go down? I don't plan on taking these everyday because of my limited supply. The most I have taken at once was 15mg and that was pretty nice. In the days that followed I took 10mg, and then about 4 days later (today) I took 10mg. I have 16 of them and don't want to have to start taking 4 or 5 a day to feel the way I need to . What should I do?

I can only address a couple of things.

My mother had TMJ before they knew what it was. She spent five years on the sofa, in pain, while doctors told her she was either faking it or dying. Finally, when she went to have dental work done, the dentist noticed her bite was off from the casts he had made for an appliance. He told her to get a bite guard, and her symptoms vanished in a week. This was in 1982. So if you have exhausted that route, and chiropractic, I can't help.

As for your question about Valium: look at the threads about benzo addiction. Read how many times people say that it is the WORST detox. If you want to continue to use a benzo despite those warnings, you may want to claim anxiety disorder and get it from a psychiatrist.

Just a heads up: I was on 2mg Valium 2 X day for five weeks after an intense recovery from hip replacement surgery. I was in the tub when a feeling of dread overcame me. My muscles locked and I was soon unable to speak above a whisper. I had run out of Valium and my husband, in charge of my meds, didn't get a refill. I had to go to ER to be stabilized and I was sent home with detox medication.

Five weeks. 4mg per day.

I don't play with that shit. I am going through opiate w/d RIGHT NOW and I stare at that bottle and bargain with myself if I really need that pill to save myself, or if I could wait longer.

I wait.

Sorry, OP, we can't give advice like that (how do I convince my doc to script me X drug), even though sometimes it's a damn good question.

I'll leave the thread open for your other questions, but I agree with Ella that benzos are really not something you want to get involved with. Tolerance is rapid, dependence becomes a problem, and they're a real bitch to quit.