• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

I have a couple questions about methadone treatment

Bluesean

Greenlighter
Not sure If this is the right forum but here goes.
I've thought long and hard and after 3 years of being an opiate addict I've decided to try the methadone clinic. I am 25 years old.
I've beat withdrawals so many times and no matter how long I wait I never lose my cravings I cant hold a job or think straight and I know at least in the short term this will allow me to live a better more productive life. I know for some it is a god send while others say it only makes things worse but I'm doing it and hoping for the best cuz everything else I try has failed.
Now what I really want to know is how long before the methadone stops giving you that opiate feeling?
Im not in it to get high but I don't imagine it will satisfy my cravings if at some point I am so used to it that I don't realize I am on an opiate at all. Or does it still somehow manage to work even when you don't feel the buzz of it?
Also I was told that the program works better long term than short term. I was hoping for short term like 3 to 6 month's. Has anyone had success with the program going for under a year?

Disclaimer: I've never been on methadone, but I've been on Buprenorphine for a long time (with clonazepam). While the drugs are different, the programs are similar, and I have talked with many ex-methadone treatment users in my program who gave me some good information.

First, if I were you I'd look into buprenorphine (Suboxone). It has TONS of benefits over methadone. For example, after a few weeks on buprenorphine tolerance stops building. That means, after the first month or two, the feeling you get one day will be the same in 10 years. Plus, you get a 1 month Rx the very first time. Buprenorphine vs Methadone is a personal thing, everyone likes it differently. To answer your questions:

- The feeling will wear off, but won't drop to nothing on Methadone. At first you'll feel great, and after about a month and from there on out it'll be just a little buzz. Now, with Buprenorphine, the high isn't as dramatic, but for most people it ends up more consistent long term. Still, methadone tolerance isn't as bad as, say, heroin
-Everyone has different opinions on how opiate therapy works. For me, I feel a slight buzz every day, but, after being on it for a year, it'll feel normal to you, and while you'll feel good, you'll just consider it normal. I could NEVER focus without my heroin, and now, with Buprenorphine I'm doing so great in life. I hear similar things about methadone, but it makes you a LOT more tired at first.
-This is important. LONG TERM ALWAYS TRUMPS SHORT TERM!!! I can't tell you how many doctors, either for buprenorphine or methadone, will tell you tapering off is best. Unless you trust yourself to stay sober, staying on a good, solid dose is the only way to have a good, normal life. No one's gonna make you take it longer than you want, but in my experience with Buprenorphine, after a while it becomes just like a (very fun) antidepressant- just a bit of a boost. I imagine the same is true with methadone, but, again, buprenorphine's tolerance stops building after a few weeks or a month or so, and you level out, while methadone has more tolerance. Still, I wouldn't worry about it, under the new US guidelines you should be able to increase your dose whenever you honestly feel you can't stay clean on the dose you're on.
-As far as sucess under a year, at my buprenorphine clinic, almost everyone who stops after a year comes back. There's no shame in this-- they just tried going sober, and came back because they couldn't handle it. I image methadone is the same way. However, if you can afford it, why risk it? Buprenorphine is super convenient (1 Dr visit a month or so at my place+ mandatory groups.) Also, with methadone, you get take-homes after a while without any problems. And though it's expensive, neither is anywhere close to a heroin or RX opiate habit.

In conclusion, please consider buprenorphine. It's not for everyone, but from what I hear it's easier and better than methadone. If you have your heart set on methadone, go to a clinic- my counsellor tells me that different people react differently to each, and you have no way of knowing what'll help you more until you try. And stay in therapy as long as you can-- it's NOT a sign of weakness. There are exceptions, but at my clinic, it's the guy who's been on Suboxone for years who has a job and a family, and the guy who tries to taper who relapes. Of course, 3-6 months may work for you, but honestly long term always is better. After a few years of buprenorphine (with Rx clonazepam), I'm back to loving life and couldn't imagine life back in addiction. So, whatever you do, good luck, you're going in the right direction, no matter what anyone else may say.

Sorry for the long post, I kinda got carried away. Feel free to DM me for any further questions about buprenorphine (or methadone, and I'll do my best to find an answer).
Thanks for the response pill.popper! No worries about the long response the more information for me to mull over in my brain the better.
I myself have experience with both suboxone and methadone and you are definitely on to something about suboxone having more upsides. My only issueis that I find suboxone very disgusting. I would take it over nothing or being sick for sure but to have to place that disgusting orange strip under my tongue everyday might not be bearable for me.
At the same time getting an entire months script and the fact that tolerance is lower with suboxone makes me want to think hard on this one.
I apreciate you giving me the suggestion and you have definitely got me thinking.
I'll pm you if I want more info thank you lots! %)