• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

I had a panic attack last night

burn out

Bluelighter
I had a panic attack on weed last night. Guess I smoked too much. I thought I was over marijuana induced panic. Been smoking a long time and havent had one in years. But I guess it can still happen. Marijuana induced panic attacks feel so real. I always think I am going to die even though I know its very unlikely to die from smoking some weed.

Did you smoke way too much? When people who I have met had cannabis induced panic attacks it was because they smoked way too much at once, or they were in an environment where they had to be and act sober and were extremely stoned.

If you have one again just do some breathing exercises where you concentrate on your breath, remind yourself that it's just a panic attack and that you're not dying or don't have to go to hospital, etc. and that it will be over soon. Good luck.

Yeah I smoked too much I was experimenting with a method of vaporizing hash and didn't realize how much I was taking in because the vapor was so easy to inhale.

It could be the type you are smoking in addition to amount. Certain types are more likely to cause this problem (e.g. sativa dominant, high THC/low CBD, or even certain specific strains). The environment may also play a role, particularly if you are in a crowded and/or noisy environment or if you're in places where there are people around that are making you paranoid. Also, just as you said, no one has died from a marijuana overdose during it's entire 6,000 years of human use and you're not going to be the first =D and it helps a lot to remind yourself of that if you start getting paranoid along these lines.

Smoke less. Strains help to a certain extent but if you have anxiety then you will have a hard time. The easy solution is to take another drug but that's not good harm reduction.

Telling yourself no one has died from cannabis is pointless if it is a full blown panic attack by the way. Your mind will convince you that you are dying one way or another. Heart, stroke, etc.

Smoke less. Strains help to a certain extent but if you have anxiety then you will have a hard time. The easy solution is to take another drug but that's not good harm reduction.

Telling yourself no one has died from cannabis is pointless if it is a full blown panic attack by the way. Your mind will convince you that you are dying one way or another. Heart, stroke, etc.

Right, even during the attack I knew how unlikely it was I was going to die from cannabis and I also new I'd had these types of panic attacks from cannabis before. But that sort of reasoning did not help much because I also realized that we could die at any time. I thought perhaps I had some underlying illness or heart condition or that perhaps my body was just giving out from so many years of drug abuse and somehow this cannabis was the straw that broke the camels back.

Of course having been through marijuana induced panic attacks before, I also knew it was highly likely I was just having a panic attack and would be fine within half an hour but the feelings of death and doom feel so strong that I can't mitigate them by thinking reassuring thoughts.

Basically when it happens, I lie down and try to prepare myself for death as best I can. If I can surrender and accept death, the attack usually subsides.

In some ways cannabis induced panic attack are stronger/more convincing that than more powerful substances. I know Ive thought I was dying on weed a lot more than on shrooms or LSD. I can only recall one time when I really thought I was dying on mushrooms and that was when I was a newbie shroomer and took an 8th of insanely potent penis envy in 95 degree weather. When the peak hit, I was absolutely convinced I was dying of heat exhaustion.

i think the hallucinogenic nature of herb is easy to forget since everyone is used to treating it more like a GABA agonist.

Basically when it happens, I lie down and try to prepare myself for death as best I can. If I can surrender and accept death, the attack usually subsides.

in Eastern philosophy, meditating on death is a common ritual to help bring peace to the mind. i haven't been able to think about it daily but i do think about it 2-3x a week and it really helps put everything into perspective.

i also find toking is most relaxing when done after some achievement, maybe it's just me but it feels like the most important thing to peaceful mind is being able to feel like you aren't just wasting life.

Oh man! That happened to me before! In fucking peak traffic behind the wheel of a huge SUV! I've never been so scared in my life, my hands were shaking, I was crying and I couldn't really say what was wrong... it was the sticky-icky 8o

This is freaking me out because I do the.. exact... same... thing.. really! I just lay down and say in my head (or out loud if it's bad!) "If this is it, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it... There is nothing to be afraid of on the other side." I do this for all panic attacks, not just MJ induced because those (and my regular panic attacks in general THESE days) hardly ever happen, but when they do... 8(