• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

I get narcoleptic in opiate withdrawal WHY?

falsifiedhypothesi

Bluelight Crew
Whenever I go into withdrawal the first thing to come on and the last thing to go is this annoying narcolepsy. I don't have a problem with it when I'm sober or high, it's not from a lack of sleep because even in withdrawal I get plenty of sleep.

It's very annoying and is causing me serious issues especially while driving. As soon as I sit down anywhere I start nodding out hard, even harder then I ever do on opiates anymore which is pretty ironic. Does anyone else get this?

Personally I know when I'm due for my next dose I will usually start yawning big time. I actually use it as an indication I'm due. So to answer your question, what you experience is pretty normal IMO.

Well, Amphetamines are the obvious drugs to treat this, but it can worsen anxiety which you might be expirencing from the withdrawal. I think the best option here is a "wake enhancer". Its a class of pseudostimulants/non CNS stims, including modafinil (script), armodafinil(script), and adrafinil (legal). They don't get you high, are barely addictive, and have much less side effects. They're primarily used to treat narcolepsy, so it's perfect for your situation. Modafinil is the weakest, and stops getting stronger after you hit a certain dose. Armodafinil and adrafinil are stronger and don't have a limit on when they stop getting stronger. Overdose is nearly impossible on them too. You could probably get a prescription from a doctor, just say you've got narcolepsy and leave out the reason why.

Yes the -afinils and/or caffeine may help

I think for most people once opioids have completely cleared their system the opposite effect is most common - most people cannot fall asleep at all during withdrawals. That's how it is for me, anyways.

I drink coffee like its water and unfortunately it doesn't help, it could be my tolerance is too high for caffeine tho. What sucks is even on amps the fatigue and drowsiness just breaks right through them, sometimes amps even make me sleepier.

Modafinil or related drugs sound like a reasonable solution. I was actually looking into them for just general study and motivational purposes, maybe I'll give them a second look.

^ if you drink coffee regularly it doesn't really 'wake you up' anymore. it just stops you crashing (its a drug, afterall).

yeah uppers are gonna help your withdrawals from a downer but that's superrrr bad for you.
how often do you withdraw? often enough to need narcoleptic medication to get you through the day?
might be time to cut down.... either that or tactical powernaps.

I don't withdrawal very often, well compared to some of the people on here anyway. About 1-3 times a month is average and it's usually mild tramadol withdrawals, they last like 3-5 days.

I know stims are bad during ope withdrawal, I can feel the strain on my system whenever I do them. No amount of sleep helps, I will literally sleep 12 hours wake up, be fine for 15 minutes on the drive to work then after that the fatigue hits hard. Or I'll take a nap for 40 minutes on lunch, wake up then again be fine for a short period of time and then it comes right back.

This is really the worst aspect of withdrawal for me, it may not sound so bad compared to shitting and vomiting etc. but it wears me down bad. My biggest fear is getting into a car accident since it affects me while driving pretty bad, I'll even try to slap myself awake the whole ride home but it doesn't really work.

Yes the -afinils and/or caffeine may help

I think for most people once opioids have completely cleared their system the opposite effect is most common - most people cannot fall asleep at all during withdrawals. That's how it is for me, anyways.

Falling asleep and being super tired and yawning all the time are two different things. When I'm withdrawing I can almost never fall into a deep and good sleep. Darn near impossible!

hyposi: Get yourself one of the eugeroic's ( wakefulness-promoting agents) Modafanil, Adrafanil etc.. AND keep some chewing gum with you at ALL times. Chewing gum makes it extremely difficult to Nod off and also promotes alertness and cognitive vigilance~( Increases up to 20% during exams)

Good luck and keep us posted Man.