Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

I explored LSD and the treatment of alcoholism

somahaoma

Greenlighter
The Answer

The only thing holding me back all these years was the classic text book answer. DENIAL, I spent years ridiculing AA, and basically the system in general, sure I played it a couple times, but I was never there on my own.. Lies were the foundation of my addiction. You know that same old saying you cant love anyone until you love yourself, well I believe the same holds true for lying. I lied to myself for years and didnt know it, just because of that famous word DENIAL. I knew I was different or rather thought, I had all the answers, I drank because I loved to get fucked up, which without even knowing I was lying to myself and truly never found the root cause to my addiction. For years it was band aid fixes and destruction compounding over the years. I was unwilling pretty much is what it was. I wanted to go outside the norm and prove I wasnt an alcoholic, when deep down inside I knew I had a problem, and little lies to myself started it all, I would wake up shaking, feeling sick, and usually in secret I would have morning drinks, to knock off the edge. This pattern would set the foundation up uintil to the final days of my drinking career. I could ramble on and list all the cliche things I did, hiding drinks, taking extra shots, in the morning and the funny thing is for years I was convinced it was because I wanted to keep the party going, never once sitting back and looking at the big picture and see the underlying cause of my drinking, I was blinded by Denial. I did your typical alcholic things, I lied, I stole, I hurt physically and emotionally my spouse, and I always promised to change. Im not saying I didnt mean it, I truly did but again the same thing I didnt know the cause of my addiction. I disappointed many people including friends and family, and I was forgiven most of the time, I lost jobs for not showing up, calling in “sick”, I look back after all this and was this lifes way of foreshadowing my realization this time around. The question was did my sub consioncious know I was ”sick”. Because I had to options on those famous sick days, be sick or keep drinking.and go in drunk. And that same concept held true for every event I was “sick” for. The answer was so close, yet so far away. I was blinded by addiction, a term I now believe exists. And the word denial means something a whole lot more now. I understand, and I am willing. So lets fast forward, I know no one believes me anymore, there have been many moments of sobriety I achieved, and all were doomed, its no ones fault but addiction. This time I was fed up, I lost it all, I wasnt there for kids, I pretty much lost my job, the booze was part of it., I had hit what addicts call “rock bottom”, i am certain i could have went further but none the less this is where the new chapter of my life begins. I tried rehab, AA, on my own, and nothing worked for me. I was different, I am open minded, and many will disagree with what I did here but its working and I know it it is. I expect no one to believe me, after all would you? I know it will work and I have to be patient to see the outcome, and I tolerate it all, I get the “dont goto the bar” often, and I am not offended, I earned all this with my hard work of drinking! Amongst other things. Back to why im here I was fed up, nothing was working. In desperation and pretty much secret I started looking up how psychedelic therapy worked in the past when LSD was readily available, I had heard rumour that it was a cure, so to speak. It got rid of the compulsion. I heard psychiatrists used to give the “Alcoholic” a high dose of LSD and during the peak when ego death occured the family would come in and basically attack the patient and really let them know in a no holds barred environment how much alcohol was messing up the family and after the supervised trip some counselling would be done, and the alcoholic appeared to be cured, never wanting to drink again. Now I have lots of experience with pyschedelic drugs, I was a bit of a psychonaut in my youth, I experimented with various substances, LSD, Psylocbin mushrooms, DMT, Mescaline, and I know what outsiders think, “these are party drugs” when in fact any psychonaut will tell you these are tools and are to be used as such. I always maintained that throughout the years, and always had positive, enlightening trips. It was about honesty with oneself. Even with all this positive experience, I too was skeptical, but really at this point what did I have to lose. So I made a decision I was going to use LSD as a last ditch effort. Now I had to keep this all down low and not because LSD is illegal, procuring it is easy and was the least of my concerns. It was everything else, the logisitics behind such a plan. The amounts of LSD they were giving back in the day was not what I wanted to do myself especially “Alone” so I picked up one hit at 150ug(micrograms). I now needed a family, knowing mine wouldnt approve or wouldnt want to was on my mind. So in late spring after I saw my children, I proceded with trying to cut back drinking but when I did, I used my phone to document myself, not hours but moments here and there. And If i wasnt capable I had a friend whom would do it for me. So after several weeks and not watching these videos, I was sure I had horrible footage, disgusting footage. Words cant express what I knew those recordings would have. I saved texts, pretty much anything that could be told to me by family members, so after a couple weeks I had that part done. Now I was ready. I sat on these things for a few more weeks and then one day I knew it was time, I am not sure what it was but I just knew, I had blown through most of my paycheque, I lost personal items, and I was in bad shape. So i knew at the end of that month I was ready. So on that evening I locked myself in my room and proceded to take the lsd and with all lights off and recording i sat in the dark, with them on a loop and listened, I didnt know the person I came to know quite well. The LSD opened up a part of my brain that let me look from outside in and make an assesment as to how to change things. The trip last just over 5 hours at its peak and i rode it out for about 8. I watched, listened and looked for answers. And I am not sure what triggered it but I saw something in that drunken asshole I didnt see someone who wanted to get “fucked up” I saw a sick man, I saw someone who was sick without a drink, i looked sick. I could feel it just listetning the recordings. And the family has spoken and I listened, I started to think of other events in my life which led to this conclusion. I had an answer I was/am sick. And now that I knew the root cause I could proceed to fix it. I came to realize that I was using alcohol to medicate, and not emotion, but physical. Somewhere along the way I had become physically addicted, where my body needed alcohol to feel normal. The when doesnt matter. What matters is i found an answer i found out I was getting sick without it. The foreshadowing was right. I looked at everything, I would drink to feel normal and side effects were getting drunk and as I needed more and more I drank and drank. The intoxication wasnt what I was going for, It was feeling normal but there is no balance either you are normal or drunk. I also realized I hated drinking, i wanted to stop, I had the will. But I needed it. In an instant I had an answer and i knew it to be the one I was seeking, it made sense. Everything fell into place. So that year, I did my own solo LSD Intervention, I wouldnt reccomend for all but under right circumstances there is a magic there. I was lucky it went the way it did. With no formal training I did psychedelic therapy on myself, and for the moment, it seemed to work.. I talked myself out of trip and played all the roles in this therapy. The story doesnt end there, I still was sick, I still wanted to drink. It didnt cure me it gave me the key to the end of alcohol. I had a few days i figured would be the worst of it, so I stayed home, I locked myself in room and detoxed, and never let that memory of that trip fade away. As the sickness went away and the compulsion left, the memory of that night never faded, and hasnt I am constantly reminded why I did what I did. Crazy thing, is its working, I have no love affair with booze, I dont miss waking up confused, sometimes literally dumb, or wondering what I did, or checking my texts. All those side effects to alchohol arent with me anymore. I do have another outlook on my addiction and how powerful addiction really can be. I dont believe a person is addicted to one must be addicted to all, I realized Alcohol is my poison, and I believe it was that first time I got physically addicted and I been fighting it since, never knowing. Which led to all the failed attempts. Basically reasons to believe this wont work. I still use some intoxicants, mainly pot. Call it the lesser of two evils or whatever, point is alcohol is not there, and small changes are happening. Some are the same, people dont believe me, im a time bomb, etc etc. But I Know otherwise. I am not writing this as a plea to believe me, I am writing this because I feel the need to document, what could be the moment that saved and gave me my life back. I am greatful each day for not drinking. And I owe it to myself for keeping up with it, but it was LSD that gave me the answer, so with that I will forever be greatful. People have the right to believe what they want and I respect all points of view, please respect mine, and give me a chance. It worked in the past, and it sure as hell seems to be working on me. Point is I am sober and happy, and have no intention of getting SICK again and letting DENIAL get the best of me. I will never forget the answer. Its my answer, and one day im sure others will share my gratitude. REMEMBER THE VALUE OF HAVING AN OPEN MIND AND BELIEVING IN POSSIBILITY After all it is only human

Woah dude...umm...welcome to Bluelight I guess!

I'd strongly recommend formatting your post a little if you could please :) I'm sure it contains a wonderful story in there somewhere, but in its current form, it's a bit of a walloftext which makes it pretty hard to read :(

Tip: On reddit you need to make double line breaks while formatting to make it readable.

I love to hear stories of people using psychedelic compounds with a real purpose to break through barriers in life and free themselves from a mental prison. Some of what you mention about addiction is indeed solid truth as far as I know from my own experience. However for me (and I see/hear this a lot) when someone gives a great testimony of overcoming addiction only to reveal they still use marijuana, I can't help but feel like the battle may have been won but the war is not over. Although I know you were mainly speaking about alcoholism, you also mention that you were "sober" which to me extends beyond simply not being intoxicated with alcohol.

Nonetheless recovery is all about progress, not perfection, and it is certainly commendable to have found success in conquering the beast that is alcoholism. Keep striving for improvements and there's no limit to what can be accomplished.

Yeah I couldn't read the whole thing it hurt my eyes but got the just of what you were saying

I'm trying to use Psychedelics to heal my drug addiction but Its not working the greatest because there are so many RC's to do out there... I need to stick to strickly IP-lsd which is the only thing I can get. Acid isn't really fun for me. Its fucking deep and uncomfortable. Yeah the visuals are pretty but when I hear people say they felt soooo good on acid I can't relate though when your staring into a kalaidascope and each thought changes it well that is pretty interesting but as far as Euphoria I never really got it with LSD.

Now I want to do it alone and meditate and astral travel though Meditation is more practical and useful. Trying to travel to a place where there are infinite beings that have been there for eons while Under the influence of DMT or LSD may or may not be a good idea. There are good and bad energies out there... LSD def allows one to tap into that infinite field of Consciousness.

I tried using BK 2cb for this and the Trip was too long and I took benzo's to sleep and the next day which killed any afterglow. Plus while BK 2cb can get deep at high doses the next day I'm so tired physcially it feels like it takes more of a toll on your body. Probably because it can be very euphoric unlike acid euphoria which is much different. BK is more like MDMA euphoria thuogh slightly less..

Anyway Glad your finding your way. Just don't get hooked on LSD as a subsititute beceause I can see that happening. But if you want to use it once every few months to enhance your spirituality I see nothing wrong with that.

Being in good phsycial shape. Running. Meditating, drinking water with pink himalayan Salt that is Alkaline will help keep your body clean.

thanks for sharing somahaoma. I read it with interest. I had developed an ugly alcohol addiction myself. I didn't have illusions that I was drinking to party, because I didn't like to drink with others or party much; I was drinking or self-medicating to treat my depression and cope when nothing else seemed to be helping. I know this because I avoided getting drunk quickly: my goal was to stay intoxicated enough to keep the thoughts and feeling at bay. I quit lots of times but after long and somewhat futile journeys to get better, I found myself back to the bottle. It got harder and harder to quit because I saw that every journey I embarked on led me back to the same place. I'd drink in the morning a bit, then at lunch and then spend the rest of my day drinking light beer to maintain. Pretty soon an 18-pack wasn't enough to get me through the day. Here's how my journey cured me of that:

I found psychedelics to be helpful allies in getting in touch with myself but pretty lousy at stopping the physical symptoms of addiction. I'd stay away from psychedelic therapy personally until the physical symptoms of addiction are gone (about 1 week to a month depending on the level of addiction). When I discovered dissociatives, namely MXE and DXM, I noticed my desire to drink vanished. I was able to completely substitute one for the other with little difficulty and found dissociatives to be far more effective as an anti-depressant than alcohol. Not everyone reacts this way. The problem was that my dosages were getting out of control and when I'd stop, my depression would eventually return and alcohol would creep its way back into my life. This was no cure, just something I found more benign than alcohol and a helpful tool to get to the next stage. On MXE I'd spend hours writing and exploring myself and have something to show for it at the end of the day. On alcohol, I'd waste away my free time until I couldn't stay awake anymore. Quitting dissociatives was easier than quitting alcohol, but quitting depression, that is another story. Then came the psychedelic phase. This was a real tool for self-exploration that produced lasting shifts when used properly. The privilege of self-facilitation as you described is hard earned. It's not for everyone and psychedelics in the hands of a misguided facilitation can do more harm than good. Taking a psychedelic to cure addictions needs quality facilitation and most people would be better served seeking out a qualified facilitator. I say it without ego though and having sought out the best help available to me: I was the best facilitator for myself. Ultimately, it was the realization that as a human being I am endowed with four types of perception I could identify: physical (object-relational), mental (conceptual), emotional (felt-perceptual) and spiritual (vibrational/etheric). I also saw the dynamic pattern. I'd focus on one of these at any given moment. For example, mentally I'd address my negative thoughts only to see my depression/addiction move to a different perceptual center like my emotional state. In other words, my depression couldn't be pinned down because I wasn't addressing it holistically. Psychedelics helped me immensely to see this pattern and learn to address my perceptual centers all at once so there was nowhere it could hide in present moment awareness. They opened the door but the path was still one I had to walk myself. No drug could do that for me. Depression/addiction can't be held at bay with force if you ask me. Just like an over-eater blinks and finds themselves raiding the fridge, eventually we succumb to the pattern hiding in plain view. When I speak of curing addiction I speak of alchemy. Turning the base into something refined and self-sustaining. I can pass the ultimate test: I can have a beer now and again without spiraling out of control (don't take this test, it's not recommended, and honestly I don't enjoy that beer except for knowing that real change is not only possible, it is necessary). The pattern I was covering up has been replaced with vigilance and wisdom. It's freed me up to address other things in my life without the need to constantly look back. I commend the decision you've made: not the one to use psychedelics to cure your addiction but the decision to address your experience. Anything that arises in your experience is an invitation to go deeper and I have nothing but respect for you taking that journey.

The rest of the story: I'd be lying through my teeth if I told you this journey was a clear path that automatically fixes everything. Knowing the path and mastering it are two different things entirely. As someone who has direct experience with it, I know there is much left to address in my own life. A master in the art of denial will find a 100 reasons why I'm full of shit in sharing this. I'd be a shitty teacher though if I told you this journey can be difficult before you've had a chance to truly walk it yourself. It can be difficult until it isn't but why would I tell you that before the real work begins. Keep that in mind before you discredit this message with statements like "you still smoke cigarettes levelsBeyond, you obviously don't practice what you preach" . This is a path I walked and found truth in. This is what I'm choosing to share with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A spiritual experience is required for a truly alcoholic or addict that is hopeless. Sometimes Psychedelics can facilitate lasting change but other times bring addiction to other psych's and dissociatives which I feel could happen to me but I have one last order I've made of Psychs then hopefully i'm done because I can't live the doouble life of using drugs and going to AA. AA works when I'm talking to people and hanging out. Just going to a mtg isn't enough. It takes other people honesty and willingness. FunnnY I know everything to do to stay sober but the hanging out with people holds me back. Fears prevents me from going to sober parties sometimes. Prevents me to call people. I end up stuck in my head too much and before you know it i'm drunk again after a period of good sobriety. Lonlines and Bordem are big triggers. I believe it helps to have a partner depending on how Co dependent the relationship is. Many times when in relationship even though I may have wanted to use I knew I could get away with it. When i'm alone I think no one will know so it doesn't matter... Just my experience.

I'm desperate though and willing to eat tons of drug to snap out of it and just get sober already but who knows. I was stuck on opiates for years and getting off those were a bitch and i'm still semi hooked dosing 10-20mg of lope but I feel way better now. Libido and brain is somewhat backk to normal. I feel good in the morning. I have no reason to use now but for some reason that little bitch calls me because I'm lonely. As long as I don't get back into Herion, crack and all the shit. Its ugly. I pray all the time because I know their is a God but I don't think God necessarily will take away your obsession but you can almost brianwash yourself through prayer and there is some unknown effect it has on you do to our thoughts beign energy.. Where do they go and where do they bounce off of I don't know? Anyway I'm rambling now.

Someone can take all the drugs they want, but unless they actually want to get sober and are willing to stay sober from all drugs including cannabis and psychedelic drugs, and don't want to make major life changes it will all be pointless.

It really is an all or nothing thing when it comes to any type of drug use if you're an addict, and it is playing with fire if you think you can still recreationally use certain drugs like you once were able to.

I have many friends that have gotten clean and sober, who then relapsed because they thought 'one beer', "a percocet", "a trip on mushrooms or acid", "some MDMA/MDA", or "one hit from a joint" wouldn't hurt. Half of them are now dead.

Last edited:
If ones goal is sobriety then to achieve that goal one must become sober. I think we can all agree on that. Let's face it though, in the west when an alcoholic goes to get sober the first thing they get is a prescription for benzos to curb their withdrawal. In more indigenous cultures, perhaps you visit the local shaman and they give you Iboga root or Ayahuasca to treat your addiction. In other words, people use drugs to get sober all the time. We draw somewhat arbitrary lines regarding what is normal or abnormal (functional or dysfunctional) and we do our best to live on the other side of that line. We're all addicted to something and anyone who has been addicted to something knows it well: addictions are persistent despite our best efforts. An addict will always relapse when indulging in their addiction. No argument there. Ask someone who identifies as an addict and they will tell you that once an addict always an addict. Fair enough if thats how a person chooses to look at it. I don't look at it that way and I think my path is valid too. My path is to address the root cause of addiction by observing my experience and being open to real change. In my case it was depression. Once I learned how to better navigate that with the tools I picked up along the way and the corrected perception that comes with doing a shit ton of personal work and inquiry, I no longer identify as a depressed person and consequently as an addict. I believe an addict will continue to be an addict until they're not. The key takeaway from my experience though is that it is possible to be cured of addiction. It's just been my experience that when a shift occurs in a person, the root cause is addressed and the symptoms go away by themselves. Until then we have clear signposts in our experience regarding that which remains unaddressed. We cope until we don't have to. Hard to do that when fear of drugs and relapse are the only thing motivating a person to stay sober and our experience along the way goes largely ignored. Change is the only constant in this life and I have little room for labels that keep me identifying as someone incapable of change. I am levelsBeyond and I am not an alcoholic.

Update: For anyone seeking to cure their addictions through self-facilitation, I highly recommend Michael Browns book "The Presence Process." He was my teacher. Easy to drop names of books, but this this is the path I followed to cure myself of depression and addiction laid out with impeccable language and integrity. It's a 10-wk process that produces notable shifts in awareness. In other words, it works. I've gone through it 5 times and recommend it without hesitation for someone who isn't using when they start but still feels like addiction is running their life.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, cheers for the post OP. I enjoyed reading. I myself do not have an issue with alcohol but a close friend does. He regularly confides in me we have always been this way but I am really reaching a point where I feel something has to be done.

I feel LSD could be the way through personal experience. He seems up for it.

Any advice on how to approach the whole thing would be appreciated. Really glad to hear you have found some sort of inner peace and truth with yourself. good luck :)