• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

I didn't react to MDMA as expected. why?

Philebos

Greenlighter
This is my first trip report so please bear with me. I am writing to see if you have any suggestions as to what happened with my last date with MDMA (Mid Jan 2015).

I am a 25 year old female, weighing 60kg and approx 5ft 6in. At the time, I had a slipped disc in my back, for which I was taking 20mg (very low dose) of Amitryptiline, a tricyclic antidepressant, at night, with on and off pain relief when required (15 mg codeine x 2-3 a day).

I am also an extremely anxious person; my doctor did prescribe Citalopram (SSRI), which I took from June 2014 - beginning of December 2014. I came off the Citalopram (it didn’t do anything for me) and started taking 100mg of 5-HTP in December up until the beginning of January 2015, but stopped 1 week or so before taking MDMA.

The night I took Mandy was with my boyfriend who was doing it for the first time. It was my second time (more about my first experience later). I was worried about how my boyfriend would react to it, but on the whole looking forward to the experience. We ate a light meal about 4-5 hours before taking the first dose, which was 120mg of MDMA from a batch that had been both tested with a reagent test and by friends of mine both confirming that it was “true” MDMA?

I sat anxiously for the first 30 mins, after which I got occasional tingles in my arms and legs, but never really relaxed. My boyfriend seemed to be reacting to it more, but still not the ‘whole’ experience, understandably given he’d taken the same dose as me, and was a good four stone heavier/a lot taller than me. We went for a walk and took another very small dose (30mg) about 1 ½ hours after the first. We sat in a pub, soaking up the live music. I was feeling happier, but had none of the overwhelming positive feelings I’d had the first time I took Mandy. We dosed up again (60mg). At this point my boyfriend was tapping his feet and clearly feeling the effects one would expect from MDMA. I on the other hand felt extremely anxious, and was experience the sort of stomach dropping you get on rollercoasters.

We left the pub to see if I could shake the anxiety, my teeth were chattering, my boyfriend was chatting away but I just felt uncomfortable. We got back home, curled up on the sofa with some candles, and my boyfriend was being affectionate and quite talkative. After a while the stomach dropping subsided and I began to feel less anxious. We stayed up and talked for hours, extremely openly and at that point it was nice but there was never any kind of euphoria or enhanced well-being etc. for me (but for my boyfriend). By the time my boyfriend wanted to go to bed, it was about 8-9 hours from the initial dose. The next day my boyfriend told me that it had been a completely positive experience for him even though not very strong (he is very eager to do it again whereas I am quite anxious about doing it again but really want to experience the full effects, especially since my very first time MDMA was very positive).

My boyfriend fell asleep relatively quickly, but I was so anxious, I just could not sleep. I couldn’t understand why my trip was so different to the first time I had taken it in September 2013 (both times it was MDMA which was tested with reagent tests and by friends of mine both confirming that it was proper MDMA without any active adulterants). Both settings were pretty similar. At that point I was taking the same dose of amitryptiline (and had been on it for about 2 years) and no 5-HTP. The first time I know wasn’t the full blown thing (I only took 70mg + a redose of 30mg), but I felt really positive, extremely warm to other people, had several personal epiphanies and loved every minute of it. The only difference that I can think of is the fact I was exercising 2-3 times a week in 2013, as opposed to very little in January 2015. Could the fact I’d been on amitryptiline for another year and a half affected my experience in January? Was it situational factors e.g. me being more of an anxious person then, as well as worrying about how my boyfriend would get on with it?

Also of note, I have subsequently tried a small dose of 100mg of Methylone (bk-MDMA) in March 2015 but again found I had no positive effects. I only got a slight nervous jigging and twitching of muscles. Nothing as unpleasant like with the MDMA, but not pleasant either. The same amount of Methylone from the same batch leads to a very positive even though not overwhelming experience in my friends.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts as I am desperate to try it again and at a proper dose.

Last edited by a moderator:
SSRI will block the effects from MDMA (and other serotogenic drugs, like bk-MDMA, and also psychedelics). Amitryptiline will greatly reduce it. Codeine can probably dull the effects.

You have to be off antidepressants for longer than a week. Try 6 weeks at least, if it's not long enough wait 3 months, if that's not long enough wait 6 months.

^ what he said, get off ssris (permanently if possible, the shits evil) and all other drugs. Mdma is very unique in how it works and it gets affected by a lot of different prescriptions. That and without looking more into your post, your title says "It didnt work as expected" Dont expect anything! :) Youll now when your on a good one.

I agree with the above posts. Also you should do more research into interactions with MDMA. If the doctors hadn't prescribed you an SSRI but instead an MAOI anti-depressant, you would be in the hospital or worse instead of just not feeling anything. MDMA is a drug with powerful effects, which means potential interactions with other drugs or medication can be equally powerful.

Adding (tested) prefix. Welcome to bluelight :D

from the directory (link at the top of the forum) :
TCAs will reduce the effects of taking MDMA – i.e. you won’t roll very hard, if at all. Some people do roll on TCAs however, and find that TCAs do not inhibit the effects of MDMA as much as the SSRIs do. Still, you will find that rolling on TCAs is not NEARLY as fun as rolling without being on a TCA. It is not fatally dangerous to take MDMA while one TCA, but as MDMA increases the risk of cardiovascular complications, and TCAs already have some negative effects on the cardiovascular system, it could be unsafe to combine these drugs. I have not heard of a case of cardiovascular problems resulting from MDMA and TCA, but it is still a possibility that you should be aware of. Consider the combination of MDMA and a TCA very carefully – you’ll find that it’s probably not worth it.

but you should also get better stuff. even if it was mdma, it wasn't anything like pure. well, you dont need to look for better sources, if there are no active cuts, but it's extremely useful to know the potency of your mdma. underdosing isn't too fun and overdosing because you get a better batch in the future than you're used to even less so.
if you gave your bf 120mg of mdma for his first time, then there's no way he'd describe the experience as mild (unless he's on antidepressants or pretty obese). you always need less your first time. a pill with 70mg gave me the same effects on my first time, that i got with 100mg at the fifth time or so (and plenty of time in between).