Mental Health i can't be happy/content with life without using crack and heroin.

garym

Bluelighter
as the title says, i feel unable to go more than a day without using crack and heroin. i used to commit crime to part fund my addiction, but i can't bring myself to do that anymore. my family, my mum mainly, are suffering because i'm constantly asking her for money. i have to stop that but can't manage to stop using drugs. the situation is depressing me more than usual, i have diagnosed depression anyway. i know the answer is really to stop using, i just don't feel able to cope without getting high.

***edit - please don't recommend users start using or stop using any type of drug in MH subforum. Instead, "opioid replacement therapy has worked for me***

Maybe speaking to a doctor would really help.
They might be able to prescribe you some medication to manage this situation.

Sending you some Love and Support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey garym,

Sounds like opioid replacement therapy worked for PO - have you talked to a doctor about alternatives?

Also, do you have any hobbies or things you like to do outside of drugs? Any important relationships to maintain, like the one with your mom?

Learning to cope without drugs is hard.. i know this.. but soon your dopamine will replenish and depression may even lift, in time.

Play the tape in your head - what negatives happen when you use? Possibly guilt? Hard come downs? Sickness?

It's a tough way to live, and hopefully you can find meaning in life beyond drugs. I'd go for a long walk if i were you. Embrace being sober. Be present. Deal with your feelings, no matter how painful, and feel proud that you are not using in that moment.

Pretty sure a lot of people have been in the same situation op. Help's out there, maybe it's time to ask for it? Only you can know if you're ready to try to quit of course.

Painful one i'm sorry if it's come across as me advocating narcotics use. that wasn't my intention. i was trying to give a bit of clarity as to my situation. to the others who have offered advice and yourself also, thankyou. i am on a methadone script, though i'm not sure if that's what you meant by opiate replacement thearpy. i don't feel able to quit either the street drugs or the methadone. i truly don't see and end to either.

Do you have any of the things that are stimulus for good mental health in you life, for instance:

A job
A routine
Good family relationships
A healthy intimate relationship
Financial security
Personal interests
A social life (that doesn't centre around drugs)
Health and reasonable level of physical fitness

My experience has been that if you don't have a good number of these things (it's not necessary to have them all) then it's very unlikely that you will be happy if you don't take drugs. When I started to put in positive action to start creating those things in my life then everything changed, before I had just been trying to stop using drugs and getting stuck in a cycle of relapse. When you think about it, if you don't have any of those things in your life then OF COURSE you're going to relapse at some point. These are the things that do to help us feel like we have identity and purpose in life, and if you don't do them then you're naked against the harsh realities and experiences of life and will probably revert to that thing that you know will give you a feeling of security.

I know that all that can seem like a big ask when you're in the middle of active addiction, but if achieving a good number of those things seems a long distance away then you may be a good candidate for a replacement therapy (pending further investigation) as this can stabilise your life and allow you to start creating those structures whilst working towards a detox, and then when you are finally clean you already have some of those defence systems up and running to help protect you against living life without opiates.

Just something to think about for you, but I promise it works.

Painful one i'm sorry if it's come across as me advocating narcotics use. that wasn't my intention. i was trying to give a bit of clarity as to my situation. to the others who have offered advice and yourself also, thankyou. i am on a methadone script, though i'm not sure if that's what you meant by opiate replacement thearpy. i don't feel able to quit either the street drugs or the methadone. i truly don't see and end to either.

My post was edited by the moderators. 😁
Sorry about that @garym
I suggested you might try the medication that you are taking but it appears I am not allowed to mention any medication by name in this particular forum.

I just wanted you to know that you did not come across as advocating anything.
I did not mean to advocate for anything either.
I don’t dare say too much in this part Of the forum “Mental Health”.
I need to read the “rules”.

Hang in there my brother!

I will mention just a few things that help me @garym

1-Aromatherapy- essential oils and an oil burner really help with my moods and chronic pain issues. Peppermint oil helps me a lot for pain. Ylang, Ylang oil helps for sleep, Frankincense and Myrrh help a lot for anxiety, mood lift.
It is fun to try different combinations.

2- Meditation- Guided meditations really help. They don’t have to be long ones. I have also found the sound of rain, thunderstorms, the sounds of humpback whales and dolphins also help relax me. These Meditations really help to calm my mind so that I am able to work out the deeper issues that are the actual ROOT CAUSE of my problems. Meditation has helped me to actually heal some things inside of my body and mind. I highly recommend it.

3- Soaks in Epsom Salt baths.- Epsom Salt gives you Magnesium. Magnesium is a delicate balance. Too much can leave you with your speech knocked out but too little can really cause you to feel horrible. The bath soaks are the best way to get Magnesium as your skin will only suck up the amount of Magnesium that your body is in need of. No more and no less.
There are also Magnesium oils that you can rub on your skin that work well.
This is just a highly relaxing thing to do! PAMPER YOURSELF!

4- Your Environment- I have depression that comes along with chronic pain/ injury and disability. I have found that keeping a clean house and decorating with lots of candles and cool lights makes me feel better! I change around the furniture often for a new look.
It is amazing to me how much a nice atmosphere will help me to relax and feel more happy. More comfy!

5- People- You need to have supportive people around you. If they bring you down, they got to go!
Get a dog. My dog is the best person I know! 😁 Always there with love and support and never critical.
You need positive people in your life. Positive people support one another through life. Sometimes you need a little light from them, and other days, they need a little light from you.

6- Breathing Exercises- This is something that you can do anywhere and it is SO helpful! Breath in through your nose to the count of 7,
Hold for a count of four, and breathe out through your mouth to a count of 8. This resets your entire nervous system!
You will feel instant results. If you can’t reach those numbers, don’t worry about it, just do what is comfortable for you.

7- Positive Self Talk- Always reassure yourself. Build yourself up! Throw out any thoughts that are negative. You do not need those and they do not serve you. Force your mind to serve you. Always tell yourself that you are doing great. You are proud of you. Build yourself up! Positive thoughts and energy! Surround yourself with it! BE IT!

8- Remember that you are not alone! Many others are also enduring the same hardships. Don’t forget that you are Loved very much.
You are important. You are a Human Being and we ALL have our flaws and make mistakes. Don’t be too hard on yourself.
When you get knocked down, just get up again and take a step forward. Little by little. One day at a time.
Progress is made in small, slow, steady steps.

9- Diet and exercise- Eat healthy. Fresh food. Pay attention to what you eat. Add little healthy things into your diet. Such as avocado and mushrooms. Put those on your hamburger. Small things can make a huge difference.
Do some exercises throughout your day. Drink lots of water and flush all the toxins out.
You will feel so much better!

With Love!

❤❤❤🌹🌹🌹💎

Last edited:
One more thing-

Music therapy is a GREAT help also.
Make music a part of your day, every day.
It helps. Sing along with it!

❤️🌹

THECATINTHEHAT thanks for your reply. to answer, i maybe have a couple of the things you mentioned, but to be honest, i don't have a lot of the others. i live alone, i don't work and have a number of mental health issue's. i have been a addicted to hard drugs for a good 15 years and have had numerous stints in prison. i doubt i'd be capable of work or a relationship with anyone. my life is a complete mess and i feel drugs are just about the only thing i live for. as i said, thank you for your reply, but i just don't have any drive to want to change at the moment.

Painful One thank you so much for taking the time to list all the things that help you. i'm not a big fan of holistic treatments i.e. meditation, relaxation techniques, or many of the other things you suggested. i know that other people get a lot out of those things, they just don't seem right for me. i appreciate you taking the time to try and help. the flat i live in doesn't allow pets and i can barely look after myself, so i wouldn't be able to have a dog. i do have some supportive family members, though it is hard for them to do a lot, they are getting on and can't cope with me for long. i have a lot of other issue's apart from the drugs. thank you for sending me support, i am cheered by that. i hope things continue well for you, as you seem nice.

Then you will repeating the same pattern until you can find the motivation to create those things in your life. No one (or very very few anyway) can survive in life and be happy without having those things.

My life has been a complete mess too and at one time I had pretty much none of those things, once I realised I needed them to survive without drugs and started putting them in place things got much better for me though. In many ways life is still a complete mess and I'm still pretty unreconstructed as a character, but the difference between before and after making those changes is night and day though. I started daily use of hard drugs about 15 years ago myself too, and I'm still struggling a little with certain substances, but life is SO much better now even though I have a long way to go.

Believe me, the fact you don't have those things is the answer to why you can't be happy without drugs.....and obviously if you can't be happy without drugs then you will keep on going back to them.

CATINTHEHAT i did manage to stay off the class a's when i was last released from prison in 2013. i managed about 2 years 4 months on the outside with 2 years 3 months off them in prison. i guess that's not far off 5 years, though i was still on methadone during this entire period. i know what you are saying about having to implement positive changes in my life is right, i don't really want to though. i think i have a bit of a self destructive tendency. with me having depression, the slightest change can seem a monumental effort, so i don't really try to change anymore.

madness00 thanks for your reply. i like to read, that can be considered my only hobby though. i usually sit and watch tv most of the time. it doesn't require much effort, anything that requires moving annoys me. i hate having to leave the house (flat technically) for anything that doesnt involve getting drugs, if i haven't any money, i usually only go out once a day for 20 mins to get my methadone. even having to do that makes me frustrated. i have become very lazy. i appreciate the advice you have provided, i just don't see an end to my drug use though. sorry to be such a downer.

CATINTHEHAT i did manage to stay off the class a's when i was last released from prison in 2013. i managed about 2 years 4 months on the outside with 2 years 3 months off them in prison. i guess that's not far off 5 years, though i was still on methadone during this entire period. i know what you are saying about having to implement positive changes in my life is right, i don't really want to though. i think i have a bit of a self destructive tendency. with me having depression, the slightest change can seem a monumental effort, so i don't really try to change anymore.

Well if you don't want to get well why are you here complaining about the fact you're not happy. You can't cry about not wanting to change at the same time as crying about the fact you're not happy.

Time to stand up and take responsibility for your wellbeing and happiness and start moving forwards by creating positive structures. Small steps at a time, start by making sure you make your bed neatly every single day without fail, ANYONE can do that.

I suffer depression too, somertimes I don't even want to get out of bed or open my eyes. It is both a cause of and a symptom of not having those things in your life I get that.

Start with the things that anyone can do. Make yourself a daily routine and stick to it even if it just says get up, eat, go to score, read a book, eat, watch a film, eat, go to sleep. Start introducing positive micro routines like making your bed in the morning, always clean up after yourself, good hygeine etc. If you keep doing these things you will get positive feedback from them and it will encourage you to start to try to change the bigger things and then you'll be in a positive feedback loop and before you know it you will see positive changes happening to you seemingly without you even having to make any effort.

Honestly man, this stuff works. Make a routine and stick to it, try to give your body a fairly nourishing intake by trying to eat a balanced diet, do some sort of physical exercise. You could organise all of that stuff for tomorrow in 15 minutes without needing anything other than a few bucks for food.

If you want to experience change in your life, then you have to be ready to enact change in your actions. If you change nothing, then nothing will change.

yeah, you're right. i can do those things. thanks for the encouragement.

You're right, you absolutely CAN do at least one or two of those things.

Honestly, start of with the lowest hanging of fruit....make your bed every morning and then you're starting off the day by achieving something (no matter how small) and if the rest of the day goes totally shit then at least you come home to a neatly made bed that represents order and structure and you don't feel like a bum. If you do this already good on you, but I'm 32 and despite having many other successes in my recent life I STILL wasn't doing this until very recently. I was running a business turning over £4.5m a year and yet I wasn't making my fucking bed in the morning.

Start doing those really small things that represent the foundations of positive structure and stick to them rigidly, only take on as much as you can stick to. Soon those tiny things will happen without you even noticing you're doing them and you will be getting a tiny boost and feeling a bit better about yourself, and you'll be ready to start making bigger changes. This is the best path towards recovery from drug addiction and poor mental health that I have discovered, of course there may be bigger issues at play and you may have to start tackling a lot of much more complicated situations/emotions/decisions further down that path, but this is the foundation.

These are the actions that I am going to take today to help me in MY recovery:

Make my bed in the morning
Care for my pets to the best of my ability
Eat a reasonably balanced diet (I put in the positive action of preparing some healthy food in advance yesterday so I'm doing this with almost no effort today)
Go for a swim to improve my fitness
Spend 20 minutes tidying my house
Contact two friends that I can engage with on a level that doesn't include drugs
Be honest about my negative feelings with someone, and try to be aware of anyone I come in to contact with who may be experiencing negative feelings that I can help with
Brush my teeth

I can achieve these things with relatively little effort, although some of them would have been almost impossible for me at certain points in my life. My day is still essentially all my own and I'm being pretty lazy, but if I do those small things I can look back at my day and say yes I have helped move myself away from that place of pain and isolation that I don't want to be in and towards that place of contentment and inclusion that I desire. Then I'll get a good feeling about myself that will help counter all the negative feelings I have about myself, I'll feel positive about making change happen and hopefully it will inspire and motivate me to be able to do the same the next day.