• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

I am in grad school with lots of important people in my field

drdmike

Bluelighter
These are people who can help me. In fact, one person was saying that she decides which candidates move forward and which goes in the trash. I found out we are now in a group together. I know the most cliched thing to do is to kiss her ass but she's too smart for that. Any thoughts?

What do you mean? Are y'all doing a group project?

Not sure kissing ass gets you anywhere in grad school... IME you have to show a deep understanding of all the relevant concepts and theories in your field, and you have to be driven by a sincere interest for science and knowledge to make it through...

Yeah, don't kiss ass. They're used to that and it invites disrespect. If any of your professors like to hang out with their students socially that's probably the easiest way to get on their good side. Hanging out with professors can feel like networking depending on their personal style, but if they're clearly out just to cut loose and bullshit talk about what they're interested in outside of work in a way that lets them do most of the speaking. Most professors have massive egos and you can use that to charm them. Make one of these people your graduate advisor if possible, then it's their job to look out for you. There are exceptions, but the more "important" a person is in academia the less time they tend to have for students, so it's best to talk with students who currently have them as advisors first. The professor who seems like the best match for your academic interests may nevertheless do little to help you. If applicable, join research groups the professors you are interested in are involved with. Nothing impresses a professor more than a student that takes work off their shoulders. Enter as many scholarship and paper competitions as you can. Professors love to be able to share in the credit when their students place top in the nation or near it for an article/conference poster/whatever. Short of that, just doing better than the other students in your program on select projects the professors are especially interested in will suffice to draw their attention.

If you are good at your work and deliver quality then you can't do too much else. The very best you can is all that can be done. I would be respectful but nor deferential. Most people aren't as important as they say or let on that they are. Chill and do all you can. Good luck!!