• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I am an Alcoholic and started Campral

Lynn T

Greenlighter
I have struggled half my life with this dangerous disease. Recently, I relapsed after 10 months of sobriety. The summers are the hardest and birthdays. The doctor put me on Campral and I was just wondering if anyone has ever had any good come from it. In the past I have had the Valium for the DT's. But this time I think the nervousness is manly from knowing withdrawal. So I guess my question is....will this work at well?

Hi Lynn and welcome to Bluelight. I was a hard alcoholic for 17 years and struggled with getting sober. At the tail end of my drinking days before I went to rehab I did try Campral. I think they key to Campral being effective is to stop drinking while you are taking it - in theory it will restore your brain to pre-alcoholic state. If it's possible, try to abstain or drink as little as possible to give this a valid go. It does take time before you see positive results. I only stayed on Campral for a month and did not see any benefit, but I couldn't slow down my drinking. By that point in life I was drinking a case of beer a night.

If you find that you are not able to slow down or stop your drinking see if you can add naltrexone into the mix, or switch to naltrexone. I think the most effective for of naltrexone is in the month long shot Vivitrol, but the pill works as well if you can't get the shot. Naltrexone reduces anxiety and also stops cravings.

How much are you currently drinking, and are you taking any other medication? You say you are concerned about withdrawals, is the doctor workain't with you on those? Indural (propranolol) is excellent to help with anxiety and heart palpitations. It's not addictive and it's a beta blocker so it will keep your blood pressure at a reasonable level and block the adrenaline response so you don't have full blown anxiety attacks. Let me know where you're at with your drinking and medications and I can give you a more specific answer. Kudos for being focused on sobriety- 10 months is awesome! I know how insidious alcoholism is - you're doing great!

ETA: I was able to get sober with Vivitrol - took it for 8 months and now have over two years sober. In that time I have not had any cravings.

Just got this at the apotheek. But is it of any use? Are there drawback´s?

For the record I am destined to quit this losing game. Alcohol is horrible imo. So i could give up that shitty substance with help of Acamprosate? Or at least with less severe symptom's.

For the most probable side effect's, insomnolence, i have Benzo's. Which I can taper and am not addicted to.

Any tips?