• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Hypothesizing a More Complete Theory for Amphetamine's Mechanism of Action

The way to push the dopamine out of the vesicles, is not to fill amphetamine with them (via VMAT)?

PEA + an MAOI, for the record (if it isn't already obvious), do not produce identical sympathomimetic effects as amphetamine.

For some reason I thought TAAR2 is only present in the PNS.

Outside of dopamine neurons, the pharmacodynamics of amphetamine and PEA aren't more-or-less identical. It's also worth noting that when comparing the effect of TAAR1 agonists at different types of monoamines, the affinities of a TAAR1 agonist as a substrate for the monoamine transporters (DAT, NET, SERT) is largely responsible for the variability in the inhibition of reuptake and release of different monoamines. Or to put that more plainly, if TAAR1 were expressed on the plasma membrane, a TAAR1 agonist would produce more-or-less uniform TAAR1-mediated effects on 5-HT, NE, and DA reuptake inhibition/release (e.g., MDMA would uniformly affect 5-HT/DA/NE instead of selectively affect 5-HT/DA relative to NE).

Based upon preclinical in vitro/in vivo research, TAAR1-mediated signaling cascades account for roughly 50% of amphetamine-induced DA efflux (via PKC) and all reuptake inhibition after 30 minutes post-exposure (via PKA which inhibits RhoA, where RhoA also induces DAT internalization + DA reuptake inhibition).

Outside of dopamine neurons, the pharmacodynamics of amphetamine and PEA aren't more-or-less identical. It's also worth noting that when comparing the effect of TAAR1 agonists at different types of monoamines, the affinities of a TAAR1 agonist as a substrate for the monoamine transporters (DAT, NET, SERT) is largely responsible for the variability in the inhibition of reuptake and release of different monoamines. Or to put that more plainly, if TAAR1 were expressed on the plasma membrane, a TAAR1 agonist would produce more-or-less uniform TAAR1-mediated effects on 5-HT, NE, and DA reuptake inhibition/release (e.g., MDMA would uniformly affect 5-HT/DA/NE instead of selectively affect 5-HT/DA relative to NE).

Based upon preclinical in vitro/in vivo research, TAAR1-mediated signaling cascades account for roughly 50% of amphetamine-induced DA efflux (via PKC) and all reuptake inhibition after 30 minutes post-exposure (via PKA which inhibits RhoA, where RhoA also induces DAT internalization + DA reuptake inhibition).

I keep seeing posts that focus on TAAR1 and I don't really understand the rationale for thinking that it plays such an important role in the response to amphetamine, The paper you cited doesn't specifically link the effects observed to TAAR1 -- they are just speculating on its potential role in amphetamine effects.

In large part, the monoamine release produced by amphetamine is due to alkalinization of vesicles and/or direct exchange at VMAT, processes that occur independent of TAAR1. That has been known for some time, and the discovery of TAAR1 doesn't change the fact that effects on vesicular function vesicle play an important mechanistic role in the response to amphetamine.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4757768/
http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/319/1/237

If you look over the bulk of the published literature, it seems that TAAR1 is not the primary target of amphetamine, but rather one of many sites of action that contributes to neurochemical effects. I don't know how to reconcile your hypothesis with a number of findings in the literature, including:

* TAAR1 gene deletion actually enhances the response to amphetamine, so it doesn't make sense to classify TAAR1 as the primary target of amphetamine.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18083911

* You are specifically arguing that monoamine releasers can be defined as drugs that activate TAAR1 and are transported into monoamine neurons. However, there doesn't appear to be any reliable correlation between potency as a monoamine releaser and TAAR1 potency. Take a look at this paper:

http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/357/1/134.long

Based on their functional data in humans, it appears that many known monoamine releasers are inactive or only weakly active at TAAR1.

Last edited:
The paper I linked isn't making a statement about TAAR1's involvement in inhibiting RhoA. It's making a statement about PKA inhibiting RhoA. It's well established that amphetamine signals through the cAMP/PKA pathway by activating TAAR1.

In large part, the monoamine release produced by amphetamine is due to alkalinization of vesicles and/or direct exchange at VMAT, processes that occur independent of TAAR1. That has been known for some time, and the discovery of TAAR1 doesn't change the fact that effects on vesicular function vesicle play an important mechanistic role in the response to amphetamine.
You are discussing the effect of amphetamine on DA release/reuptake inhibition from VMAT2 here. I was stating the effect of amphetamine on DA release/reuptake inhibition from DAT via TAAR1 signaling above (where i mentioned PKA and PKC). I've not stated that TAAR1 has any effect on VMAT function. There is no evidence that it does. I'm not sure what made you think that I've argued this. With that in mind, VMAT2 is not responsible for monoamine efflux or reuptake inhibition at the plasma membrane - that effect by VMAT2 only occurs at the vesicular membrane where VMAT2 is localized.

Amphetamine also signals through a CAMKII pathway and RhoA; these 2 pathways are independent of TAAR1. If RhoA is not inhibited by PKA, it induces persistent reuptake inhibition via a phosphorylation cascade that triggers transporter internalization. CAMKII phosphorylation of DAT induces monoamine efflux and accounts for approximately 50% of ampetamine-induced dopamine efflux. If you'd like to see the relevant references for these statements, they're contained in the sources indicated under the collapse tab in this Wikipedia talk page link.

Keep in mind that gene deletion of TAAR1 dynamically changes the function of DRD2 autoreceptors. A model cell system of a DA neuron with TAAR1 vs TAAR1 ko does not yield a controlled (i.e., "all else equal") comparison for the function of TAAR1 as a result.

I am NOT arguing that monoamine releasers are TAAR1 agonists. I am arguing that TAAR1 agonists (particularly those that also reverse the function of VMAT2) are monoamine releasers. Those are NOT equivalent statements. TAAR1 agonists are a subset of monoamine releasers. The converse statement is false.

Edit: It's probably worth adding that this review indicates: "The fact that TAAR1 is a direct, high affinity target for METH and AMPH whereas the DA D2R is not (Xie et al., 2007b) supports the idea that METH/AMPH interferes with TAAR1/DA D2R functional and/or physical interaction(s). ... The interpretation made of these data is that as a TAAR1 ligand/DAT substrate (i.e. METH/AMPH/DA) enters the cell via the DAT and accumulates, TAAR1 signaling progressively occurs. In turn, phosphorylation cascades are promoted ultimately modulating DAT kinetics."

2nd edit: Also, this is a figure from another review which shows TAAR1 activation induces DA release through DAT. On an unrelated point, I've never said that TAAR1 is the singular biological target of amphetamine. That's absolutely not true. It is unequivocally a major primary target of amphetamine, however. Arguing to the contrary is retarded given the magnitude of evidence which supports that statement.

Last edited:
The paper I linked isn't making a statement about TAAR1's involvement in inhibiting RhoA. It's making a statement about PKA inhibiting RhoA. It's well established that amphetamine signals through the cAMP/PKA pathway by activating TAAR1.

I was trying to point out that there is a flaw in your interpretation here. Your logical argument is:
* Amphetamine signals through the cAMP/PKA pathway by activating TAAR1
* And amphetamine stimulates cAMP/PKA, which inhibits RhoA-induced DAT internalization
* Therefore, amphetamine must inhibit RhoA by activating TAAR1
This argument is not valid -- the only way to know if TAAR1 is involved in the effect of amphetamine on RhoA is to actually test the involvement of TAAR1 in an experiment. Often, biochemical events that seem like they should be linked are not linked. Intracellular signaling cascades are segregated into very discrete cellular subdomains, to the point where upstream and downstream effectors are often physically linked by scaffolding proteins. In many cases there is no communication between upstream and downstream signaling partners unless they are actually physically linked. Amphetamine may be able to activate PKA via TAAR1, but that doesn't mean that TAAR1 activates the same PKA subpopulation that regulates DAT internalization in the study you cited. Amphetamine can influence cAMP/PKA through multiple non-TAAR1 mechanisms, for example via indirect effects on dopamine receptors, so there is no way to specifically link the findings in the study to TAAR1 without further hypothesis testing.

You are discussing the effect of amphetamine on DA release/reuptake inhibition from VMAT2 here. I was stating the effect of amphetamine on DA release/reuptake inhibition from DAT via TAAR1 signaling above (where i mentioned PKA and PKC). I've not stated that TAAR1 has any effect on VMAT function. There is no evidence that it does. I'm not sure what made you think that I've argued this. With that in mind, VMAT2 is not responsible for monoamine efflux or reuptake inhibition at the plasma membrane - that effect by VMAT2 only occurs at the vesicular membrane where VMAT2 is localized.

I would argue that the effects of amphetamine on vesicles and on DAT are not independent or discrete events, but rather linked processes. You acknowledge that amphetamine releases dopamine via DAT, but where do you think that the released dopamine comes from? Studies have shown that the dopamine released by amphetamine comes from the vesicular pool. Depleting the vesicular pool of dopamine blocks amphetamine-induced dopamine release. Additionally, the action of amphetamine on vesicles is sufficient to induce some extracellular DA efflux because the leakage results in a proportional increase in cytosolic dopamine, which is sufficient to drive some reverse transport. However, amphetamine also has several direct and indirect effects on DAT function that markedly augment the reverse transport of dopamine after it leaks out of vesicles. In effect, studies examining the effect of amphetamine on DAT function are not really studying the phenomenon that causes the dopamine efflux, but rather are studying the phenomenon that regulates the magnitude of dopamine release.

Think about the following situation: you cause a large grease fire and your kitchen, so you open a window to let out the smoke. Someone smells the smoke outside your window and calls the fire department. Was the smoke outside of your house caused by the grease fire, or was it caused by the window being opened? I think most people would argue the smoke was caused by the fire and not by opening the window.

So my point is that when you make statements like "TAAR1-mediated signaling cascades account for roughly 50% of amphetamine-induced DA efflux (via PKC)" are factually incorrect because they attempt to link DA release to a facilitory or regulatory mechanism (amphetamine effects on DAT) rather than to the actual driving force behind amphetamine-induced dopamine release (effects on vesicular dopamine storage).

Keep in mind that gene deletion of TAAR1 dynamically changes the function of DRD2 autoreceptors. A model cell system of a DA neuron with TAAR1 vs TAAR1 ko does not yield a controlled (i.e., "all else equal") comparison for the function of TAAR1 as a result.

Sure, constitutive knockouts can produce compensatory regulations that modify drug responses. But you are arguing that "TAAR1-mediated signaling cascades account for roughly 50% of amphetamine-induced DA efflux (via PKC) and all reuptake inhibition after 30 minutes post-exposure", which would undoubtedly make TAAR1 activation the primary mechanism for amphetamine-induced dopamine release. It isn't a good sign for a hypothesized receptor-based mechanism if knocking out the receptor does not cause some attenuation of the response. There certainly could be alternative reasons for such an outcome -- such as the D2 explaination you proposed -- but the data from TAAR1 knockouts will represent a negative finding until experimental evidence emerges showing that such knockout data should be dismissed.

I am NOT arguing that monoamine releasers are TAAR1 agonists. I am arguing that TAAR1 agonists (particularly those that also reverse the function of VMAT2) are monoamine releasers. Those are NOT equivalent statements. TAAR1 agonists are a subset of monoamine releasers. The converse statement is false.
I never stated that you argued that all monoamine releasers are TAAR1 agonists. What I actually wrote is the following: "You are specifically arguing that monoamine releasers can be defined as drugs that activate TAAR1 and are transported into monoamine neurons."

Edit: It's probably worth adding that this review indicates: "The fact that TAAR1 is a direct, high affinity target for METH and AMPH whereas the DA D2R is not (Xie et al., 2007b) supports the idea that METH/AMPH interferes with TAAR1/DA D2R functional and/or physical interaction(s). ... The interpretation made of these data is that as a TAAR1 ligand/DAT substrate (i.e. METH/AMPH/DA) enters the cell via the DAT and accumulates, TAAR1 signaling progressively occurs. In turn, phosphorylation cascades are promoted ultimately modulating DAT kinetics."

2nd edit: Also, this is a figure from another review which shows TAAR1 activation induces DA release through DAT. On an unrelated point, I've never said that TAAR1 is the singular biological target of amphetamine. That's absolutely not true. It is unequivocally a major primary target of amphetamine, however. Arguing to the contrary is retarded given the magnitude of evidence which supports that statement.

I never claimed that you think that TAAR1 is the singular target of amphetamine. What I actually said is that you seem to believe that TAAR1 is the most important target of amphetamine. If you think that TAAR1 is responsible for 50% of the dopamine release produced by amphetamine, then that would make TAAR1 by far one of the most important mediators of amphetamine-induced dopamine release. I don't think the data supports that specific conclusion.

In some ways, I don't even know how it is possible to ascribe a specific percentage to the different mechanisms involved, because many of the players have cooperative or permissive roles. I guess it could be argued that the mechanism for amphetamine effects is roughly 50% effects on vesicles and 50% effects on DAT because both of those events are required for amphetamine-induced dopamine release. But TAAR1 is not the exclusive mechanism for amphetamine effects on DAT, meaning that TAAR1 cannot be responsible for 50% of the total effect of amphetamine.

Last edited:
I was trying to point out that there is a flaw in your interpretation here. Your logical argument is:
* Amphetamine signals through the cAMP/PKA pathway by activating TAAR1
* And amphetamine stimulates cAMP/PKA, which inhibits RhoA-induced DAT internalization
* Therefore, amphetamine must inhibit RhoA by activating TAAR1
This argument is not valid -- the only way to know if TAAR1 is involved in the effect of amphetamine on RhoA is to actually test the involvement of TAAR1 in an experiment. Often, biochemical events that seem like they should be linked are not linked. Intracellular signaling cascades are segregated into very discrete cellular subdomains, to the point where upstream and downstream effectors are often physically linked by scaffolding proteins. In many cases there is no communication between upstream and downstream signaling partners unless they are actually physically linked. Amphetamine may be able to activate PKA via TAAR1, but that doesn't mean that TAAR1 activates the same PKA subpopulation that regulates DAT internalization in the study you cited. Amphetamine can influence cAMP/PKA through multiple non-TAAR1 mechanisms, for example via indirect effects on dopamine receptors, so there is no way to specifically link the findings in the study to TAAR1 without further hypothesis testing.
This is a fair point. It has not been demonstrated experimentally. It is the most parsimonious explanation however, which is why I'm inclined to believe that this is the case.

I would argue that the effects of amphetamine on vesicles and on DAT are not independent or discrete events, but rather linked processes. You acknowledge that amphetamine releases dopamine via DAT, but where do you think that the released dopamine comes from? Studies have shown that the dopamine released by amphetamine comes from the vesicular pool. Depleting the vesicular pool of dopamine blocks amphetamine-induced dopamine release. Additionally, the action of amphetamine on vesicles is sufficient to induce some extracellular DA efflux because the leakage results in a proportional increase in cytosolic dopamine, which is sufficient to drive some reverse transport. However, amphetamine also has several direct and indirect effects on DAT function that markedly augment the reverse transport of dopamine after it leaks out of vesicles. In effect, studies examining the effect of amphetamine on DAT function are not really studying the phenomenon that causes the dopamine efflux, but rather are studying the phenomenon that regulates the magnitude of dopamine release.

Think about the following situation: you cause a large grease fire and your kitchen, so you open a window to let out the smoke. Someone smells the smoke outside your window and calls the fire department. Was the smoke outside of your house caused by the grease fire, or was it caused by the window being opened? I think most people would argue the smoke was caused by the fire and not by opening the window.

So my point is that when you make statements like "TAAR1-mediated signaling cascades account for roughly 50% of amphetamine-induced DA efflux (via PKC)" are factually incorrect because they attempt to link DA release to a facilitory or regulatory mechanism (amphetamine effects on DAT) rather than to the actual driving force behind amphetamine-induced dopamine release (effects on vesicular dopamine storage).

Obviously, the dopamine which is released through DAT is derived from cytosolic dopamine which is released from VMAT2. You've seen the diagram that I drew, so you should know that I know that. I seldom read individual primary studies because they're not of any use for citing on Wikipedia and don't draw connections among related research. I read reviews which do draw those connections. This review on kinase-dependent regulation of monoamine transporters draws some of those connections between amphetamine and PKC/CAMKII/PKA/RhoA-dependent phosphorylation of DAT. It also states "Consistent with this idea, PKCb knockout mice demonstrate reduced, though notably not completely eliminated, AMPH-evoked DA efflux (Chen et al., 2009). Similar results were recently observed by the Gnegy group, who found that perfusion of PKCb inhibitors into the nucleus accumbens of rats reduced AMPHevoked DA efflux by approximately 50% (Zestos et al., 2016)." This is one of 2 or 3 sources which I was paraphrasing when I said that amphetamine-induced phosphorylation of DAT via PKC accounts for roughly half of total DA efflux. I'll look for the source I'm paraphrasing about CAMKII-mediated DAT phosphorylation accounting for another 50% if you care to see a source for that too (I can't remember which one stated this off the top of my head).

As for VMAT2 efflux "driving" dopamine release by amphetamine, I don't see what evidence you're basing this on to assert this. Amphetamine induces efflux through DAT via signaling cascades that involve kinase-dependent transporter phosphorylation. Dumping dopamine into the cytosol doesn't cause transporter phosphorylation unless dopamine signals through an intracellular biomolecular target that induces transporter phosphorylation via a protein kinase. This is because DA itself doesn't donate a phosphate group to the protein. DA does signal through TAAR1, so I suppose that you could assert that dumping DA into the cytosol would induce efflux through DAT via that mechanism, but it's a fairly tenuous argument that it also does so by some other unknown means without evidence to support that claim.

Sure, constitutive knockouts can produce compensatory regulations that modify drug responses. But you are arguing that "TAAR1-mediated signaling cascades account for roughly 50% of amphetamine-induced DA efflux (via PKC) and all reuptake inhibition after 30 minutes post-exposure", which would undoubtedly make TAAR1 activation the primary mechanism for amphetamine-induced dopamine release. It isn't a good sign for a hypothesized receptor-based mechanism if knocking out the receptor does not cause some attenuation of the response. There certainly could be alternative reasons for such an outcome -- such as the D2 explaination you proposed -- but the data from TAAR1 knockouts will represent a negative finding until experimental evidence emerges showing that such knockout data should be dismissed.

I said the data was not controlled, not that it should be dismissed. The implication was that it should be interpreted in context with findings of receptor function via other methods and not in isolation because it is not a controlled system. As an example, this review states "Alternatively, there may be some adaptive compensatory changes in the dopamine system of the TAAR1 knockout mice. This concept is supported by the observation that these mice have a 262% increase in the proportion of striatal high-affinity D2 receptors (Wolinsky et al., 2006)." I've read a newer review that elaborates further on this but don't have it on my laptop at the moment. I'll upload a link a little later.

I never stated that you argued that all monoamine releasers are TAAR1 agonists. What I actually wrote is the following: "You are specifically arguing that monoamine releasers can be defined as drugs that activate TAAR1 and are transported into monoamine neurons."
A definition is a logical equivalence. So, if you say "A" is defined by "B", where A is a term and B is a statement, then mathematically, set A and set B have identical elements, meaning A is a subset and superset of B. In this context, you defined "A" as "monoamine releasers" and "B" as "drugs that activate TAAR1 and are transported into monoamine neurons", but A is not defined by B as I've argued above (where I've argued that B is a subset of A, but A is not a subset of B - it's a strict superset of B since it contains elements [i.e., drugs] which are not contained in set B). If this wasn't what you meant, you should probably clarify.

I never claimed that you think that TAAR1 is the singular target of amphetamine. What I actually said is that you seem to believe that TAAR1 is the most important target of amphetamine. If you think that TAAR1 is responsible for 50% of the dopamine release produced by amphetamine, then that would make TAAR1 by far one of the most important mediators of amphetamine-induced dopamine release. I don't think the data supports that specific conclusion.

Hmm. Not yet perhaps. The data supports the statement that PKC is responsible for ~50% of DA efflux. The data also supports the statement that TAAR1-mediated PKA and PKC signaling cascades are involved in amphetamine-induced DA reuptake inhibition and efflux respectively. Linking those two statements is simply the most parsimonious explanation, relative to something like "amphetamine induces a PKC signaling cascade via TAAR1 and another yet unidentified mechanism, which together account for 50% of DA efflux". If I didn't read a source that attributed a specific percentage of dopamine efflux to a protein kinase, I wouldn't have made that statement. Again, I'll look up the source for 50% of efflux via CAMKII-mediated phosphorylation if you're interested in that. In any event, I've stated above that DAT is modulated by 2 protein kinases which are activated by amphetamine via an unknown signaling cascade and which are unrelated to TAAR1.

In some ways, I don't even know how it is possible to ascribe a specific percentage to the different mechanisms involved, because many of the players have cooperative or permissive roles. I guess it could be argued that the mechanism for amphetamine effects is roughly 50% effects on vesicles and 50% effects on DAT because both of those events are required for amphetamine-induced dopamine release. But TAAR1 is not the exclusive mechanism for amphetamine effects on DAT, meaning that TAAR1 cannot be responsible for 50% of the total effect of amphetamine.

Amphetamine's effects on VMAT2 unambiguously modulate the magnitude of dopamine release through DAT. Ignoring the effects of cytosolic dopamine signaling through TAAR1, there is no known mechanism that connects a diarrhea of dopamine into the cytosol by VMAT2 to DAT phosphorylation and consequently DA efflux at the plasma membrane. When I make a statement that PKC accounts for 50% of efflux, I'm talking more about the relative amount of DA efflux for a given preloaded concentration of DA that is dumped from VMAT2. If amphetamine had no effect on VMAT2, it would still phosphorylate DAT and produce DA efflux through DAT, but the amount of DA would be greatly reduced. All else equal, I'd suspect that PKC would still account for 50% of total efflux (the absolute amount of which would be greatly reduced) in such circumstances - the absolute amount of effluxed DA which was mediated by PKC would change but the relative amount (50% ) would remain fixed. If I'm still not making sense, basically what I'm saying mathematically is that if 30000 DA molecules are dumped via VMAT2 into the cytosol under normal circumstances, and amphetamine effluxes 20000 of those in total, PKC-phosphorylation of DAT is responsible for 10000 molecules being effluxed. If the effect on VMAT2 were inhibited to 1/3rd of that, the amount of efflux mediated by PKC would proportionately drop to say 3300 DA molecules.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm wondering if anyone will be eating popcorn while reading this sentence at some point.

@serotonin2A: FWIW, in the future, I will not synthesize statements that I read in articles and post them here (e.g., if one source says "A implies B" and a second says "B implies C", synthesis of these statements would be "A implies C"). I don't do this on Wikipedia because it violates a content policy, so I suppose I might as well follow the same approach here unless I explicitly state this. I assume that would make you happier.

I think it is fine to make inferences but IMHO it needs to be acknowledged that this is speculation and not fact. Unfortunately, hypotheses made about biological systems are often wrong.