• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Hypertensive crisis on phenethylamine when used irresponsibly

Japhy

Greenlighter
Me: 28 y/o Male, no preexisting conditions, previous drug user, excellent health.

I want to issue a warning to users of PEA. This drug is not "safe", even WITHOUT a MAOI, unless you are very, very careful with dosing. I haven't even tried it with an MAO inhibitor. I'm too afraid to now.

The dosage that precipitated my hypertensive crisis was between 2 and 2.5 grams, taken in three smaller doses over the course of 90 minutes. No other substances were involved except for one small cup of green tea and 3 shots of alcohol, taken every 30 minutes.

After the second dose, I started feeling tingling and numbness in my arms and head but I assumed that was part of the usual effects. I had also had a heavy workout session the day before, so my muscles were sore and I thought the PEA may have been inducing awareness of my muscular soreness.

After the third dose, my heart rate shot through the roof and swung dramatically over the next 60 minutes. I paused at times to lie down and try to meditate, focusing on my breathing. When I did this, my heart rate would dramatically fall to a healthy level, but my temples were still pounding and I could hear my heavy pulse with every beat. The moment I exited meditation, my heart would skyrocket again. I kept drinking water; I could not stop drinking water. I did not take my body temperature but it may have been higher than normal.

I also experienced irregular heartbeat and skipped beats over those 60 minutes. At one time, I was lying down and experienced shimmering vision. Additionally, my arms, legs, and face were somewhat numb and tingling. I worry that additional dosing could have precipitated a stroke.

I spent most of the time talking myself out of a panic attack, which would only have made the situation worse.

This is the third time in my life that I've experienced a hypertensive crisis. The first time was after attending a festival where I had taken 8 ecstasy pills spanning 4 varieties, all cut with different, unknown substances, in the course of 12 hours. The second time was after bumping very amounts of Adderall all night, and then finally taking 1mg (YES, JUST 1 MG) of Selegiline at 6:00 AM.

Admittedly, the first two incidents were due to my own stupidity and negligence. However, this experience with PEA was after similar prior uses. I am still not sure why this time was different. Perhaps it was a weak MAOI activity of green tea?

Almost everything I read regarding PEA speaks of it in entirely favorable terms. BE CAREFUL, AND DO NOT ASSUME THAT SOMETHING IS SAFE JUST BECAUSE OTHERS SAY IT IS.

Last edited:
Hmmm, sorry to hear this.

Does this mean Phenethylamine isn't safe??

I've been wanting to try it and some people on here said it was good the other day but I don't want to try anything too dangerous...

Any more info would be appreciated.

Hmmm, sorry to hear this.

Does this mean Phenethylamine isn't safe??

I've been wanting to try it and some people on here said it was good the other day but I don't want to try anything too dangerous...

Any more info would be appreciated.

If you try it, just be very careful. I don't know why this is marketed as a body building supplement. It must be continually redosed to have effects lasting longer than 10 minutes.

it has now been +36 hours since my hypertensive urgency, and I am experiencing dysphoria, slight confusion, and a sense of something being "off". I'm hoping that i didn't suffer from hypertensive encephalopathy, which usually exhibits between 12-48 hours after the event.

Do NOT try phenethylamine with an MAOI until you are quite sure of its effects. And even then, you may be in for a surprise if you aren't careful. I, for one, have thrown away the rest of my PEA. It just isn't worth taking chances with and it's too easy to redose given the euphoria.

PS I want to stress that what I experienced was certainly not a panic attack, as I have had those before and during this entire experience I maintained cognizance and was able to stay emotionally in control. I knew that if the hypertension precipitated a panic attack, the hypertension would simply get worse, so I focused my efforts on maintaining composure by lying on my floor and remembering to breathe, and repeating "everything is going to be ok" aloud.

Update: 4 days later

UPDATE, 4 days later:

It's now the 4th day since my negative experience with Phenethylamine. Yesterday I experienced the following symptoms:

- Unable to remember the name of one of my daily coworkers. Couldn't believe it.
- Muscles easily fatigued, muscular and cardiovascular endurance impaired
- Decreased night vision that reminded me of HPPD I experienced many years ago after using MDMA
- Extreme depression, especially in the four mornings since the experience. Very difficult to summon the energy to get out of bed.
- Concentration at work takes extra effort
- Some presence of social anxiety mixed with social apathy. No desire to talk to any of my coworkers or strangers.
- Difficulty communicating verbally. Formulating sentences has not been a "fluid" experience for the past few days.
- Slightly impaired coordination while walking, climbing stairs, stooping.

Again, I'm surprised that a single experience with PEA brought all of this upon me, after I had used it previously to no ill effect. I'm curious if these symptoms have anything in common with amphetamine withdrawal symptoms, given the close similarity between PEA and amphetamine. Open to suggestions...

Last edited:
You need counseling bro either your a serious hypochondriac or an attention seeker or even both but regardless you need help cus I smell straight bullshit 10 miles away your symptoms are not at all reminiscent of a hypertensive state at all buddy they are all subjective symptoms that can be conjured from anxiety or from paranoia and your not experiencing amphetamine withdrawal dude get a grip on yourself you took a substance that is completely oxidized the moment it hits your bloodstream hence why pea doesnt give you euphoria like AmethylPhentheylamine even with mao inhibitors man

Japhy took 833.3 mg of Phenethylamine powder AND a shot of alcohol, every 30 minutes for 1.5 hours, equaling 2,500 mg or 2.5 grams and 3 shots of alcohol in 90 minutes or 1.5 hours.

Phenethylamine - Wikipedia

According to Wikipedia, Phenethylamine makes up the skeleton to substituted amphetamines, which means, drinking alcohol on them, probably isn't the best idea.

Anyone else seeing a possible connection, besides previous bad times with:

Substituted phenethylamine - Wikipedia

I do.

Could of been a hypertensive crisis. IDK who bumped the thread from 2015. Doesn?t matter. Folks know not to do that. It could really cause a bunch of issues to your body.

Is this the same as Phenylalanine?

I have 500mg capsules and it says to take 1 in the morning and in the afternoon and that it can cause high blood pressure if too much is taken, so I don't know why that opioidergic guy thinks taking more than twice that amount in 90 mins with alcohol couldn't possibly cause issues.

I would never tell someone they couldn't possibly experience something like that or that they are making it up.

So can this stuff lead to issues if you take way too much of it?

What's the max daily amount that is safe?

The bottle does have a warning, so I'm thinking an extra 500mgs might not be the worst thing and I've taken 1,000mgs in a shot, but I bet taking all that wasn't such a good idea.

This a little out there, but maybe these symptoms appeared from the OP possibly having PKU? Although I'm pretty sure he would know if he had it since it is usually diagnosed early in life.