• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Hydroxyzine HCL (Atarax) Vs Hydroxyzine Pomoate (Vistaril)

pally pete

Bluelighter
Can anybody please tell me the difference (If any?) between these 2 forms of Hydroxyzine? Very little from what I can gather... Although, some say, one is designed more to combat anxiety compared to the other.

I'm currently prescribed Hydroxyzine HCL (Atarax), and recently made a request to my GP if I could try Hydroxyzine Pamoate (Vistaril etc..). Yet she repled that the Pamoate formulation is not available in the UK... 8(

Last edited:
I have both kinds, HCL and PAMOATE and I can't tell the difference between the 2 honestly.

Well the only difference between the two will be that the hydrochloride salt will be freely soluble in water, so if you get some cut dope and you're allergic to something in it you could already have some filtered solution of hydroxyzine on hand to shoot if it's really bad and you might die, I do the same thing with promethazine if I'm having a really bad opiate reaction, only I don't shoot it I snort it. Oh and I'd say the hydrogen chloride will make the Hydroxyzine HCL more resistant against stomach acid, which is good because the metabolic cycle of hydroxyzine is 100% hepatic, so the more that can get to your liver the better. But you probably won't be able to tell the difference in dose really, it's not that much of an upgrade