• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Hydrocodone

AlmostClean49

Greenlighter
I was recently prescribed hydrocodone to use for only 10 days for lower back pain. It worked very well, and today is my first day back off of it.

I'm kind of surprised to be feeling withdrawals after such short-term use. I sweated through last night, tossing and turning, and this morning I still have sweats over raised chill bumps with a runny nose and watery eyes.

Obviously, I don't wanna go and get more hydrocodone just to make myself feel better. But I would love for someone to tell me if it's normal to have withdrawals after just 10 days of usage. And if so, how long are they likely to last?

Thanks

Yes. The good news is that you may have a few days of discomfort, sleep disruption, flu like symptoms, etc., but it should not last very long after a 10 day regimen of Hydrocodone. But 10 days is certainly enough to feel some mild WDs after discontinuation.
Thanks. I know my symptoms are nothing compared to what some folks go through. But I really appreciate the response

I would love for someone to tell me if it's normal to have withdrawals after just 10 days of usage. And if so, how long are they likely to last?
It is normal for.me to get withdrawals after three or four days of using opioids. Some opi substances may bring worse symptom intensity than others. Just my experience.
There was a ten day cycle of how many mg a day?
Welcome to bluelight. Hope you get over this soon I would imagine 2-3 days you'll be back to baseline. Eat well and get some exercise if ya can. Drink plenty of water.
I would agree that copping more hydros would be the least favorable option.
At least its the weekend and by monday we hope things are back to normal, yes? ;)
Best wishes

Hey, Just an update, folks. I managed to sleep well through brief stint of withdrawals (thanks to Ambien) — and on Monday, I feel like they're almost gone.

Only problem is my lower back pain has returned with a vengeance. I know my doctor will likely want to prescribe more hydros and I'm almost afraid to take them now without some sort of tapering schedule in place.

Hey, Just an update, folks. I managed to sleep well through brief stint of withdrawals (thanks to Ambien) — and on Monday, I feel like they're almost gone.

Only problem is my lower back pain has returned with a vengeance. I know my doctor will likely want to prescribe more hydros and I'm almost afraid to take them now without some sort of tapering schedule in place.
I would consider ibuprofen or naproxen for pain. No, they aren't as effective but you won't get addicted.
Opioid addiction is no joke.
Try to avoid it.
I speak from considerable experience.

PS-- How do you feel about cannabis?
It helps a lot of people, but not everyone.

I love cannabis but I really don't understand how it can help with pain. If anything, it makes pain and inflammation worse for me.
Yeah, cannabis (like kratom) is one of those things that affects everyone differently. It can even change over time with the same individual. I was a chronic pothead from my teens thru my 30s. I adored it. Then I went thru a 10-yr phase wherein I mostly avoided it because it increased my anxiety in a big way. Now I'm enjoying it again but in moderation. Just a few puffs every evening. I never "wake 'n' bake" like I used to and sometimes I don't toke at all for a day or two.

I know my doctor will likely want to prescribe more hydros
Super glad you posted back. ;)
Ask the doc if there are any valid non-narcotic options. I did and tried a few but found that the ones he tried me on were just not for me for one reason or another. Like meloxicam... it made my stomach cramp after a couple days of using and the cramps lasted a couple days after cessation. This med is like a super-charged aleve (naproxen sodium) if I recall correctly.
Some kind of SSRI was tried as well which made my body/mind not interact well in regard to manual dexterity and hand/eye coordination.
These results may not cause this type of reaction in others but throughout the decades I have been Rx-ed one thing or another and maybe this was the cause, IDK.
Worth a shot maybe your doctor has some better options.
I would consider ibuprofen or naproxen for pain. No, they aren't as effective but you won't get addicted.
Personally I do find that naproxen sodium (aleve) to be superior to hydros in regard to pain caused by inflammation as it is also a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory.

What is the cause of your aches and pains and where are these located in the body?
Peace

Super glad you posted back. ;)
Ask the doc if there are any valid non-narcotic options. I did and tried a few but found that the ones he tried me on were just not for me for one reason or another. Like meloxicam... it made my stomach cramp after a couple days of using and the cramps lasted a couple days after cessation. This med is like a super-charged aleve (naproxen sodium) if I recall correctly.
Some kind of SSRI was tried as well which made my body/mind not interact well in regard to manual dexterity and hand/eye coordination.
These results may not cause this type of reaction in others but throughout the decades I have been Rx-ed one thing or another and maybe this was the cause, IDK.
Worth a shot maybe your doctor has some better options.

Personally I do find that naproxen sodium (aleve) to be superior to hydros in regard to pain caused by inflammation as it is also a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory.

What is the cause of your aches and pains and where are these located in the body?
Peace
The source of my pain is no mystery...I have multiple bulging discs in my lumbar spine. I tried physical therapy for three weeks with no success. Next is probably a nerve block. I did another round of Hyrdrocodone 7.5s, but I only did five days worth this time with Klonipin at the ready when they were gone. Made for a much smoother transition.

I just hope I don't end up needing surgery and an extended stay on the opioids

Oh yeah, in fact you're lucky that you were able to identify it as acute withdrawal syndrome. When I was going through it years ago I thought that I just got sick every morning due to my ulcerative colitis. So obviously I got more pills and then more pills and then stronger pills and then 7 years later I finally got clean and realized hey, I feel better without drugs. The thing is with chronic pain opioids work very well but the side effects can outweigh the benefits a lot of the time.

I was both intrigued and terrified to find out that acute withdrawal syndrome symptoms include but are not limited to, muscle spasms, back pain, diarrhea, insomnia, severe mood swings, depression, eating disorders, hypertension, headaches, cold sweats. Just to name a few. That's from drugs.com not to mention what I personally experienced for years.