• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Hydrocodone ?redosing? question

Nousername516

Greenlighter
I have a question about redosing. Btw this is my first post here but have long been a reader of this site for many years. Thanks in advance for any help clearing this up...

So what exactly does redosing mean? When talking about opiate pills. For example, if you take your dose of lets say 60mg of hydros in the morning, would it be pointless to take another dose of 60mgs later that night? Because ive read a lot how redosing is pointless but i dont know exactly what redosing means... Is that what redosing is or is redosing considered more like taking your 60mgs in the morning and then taking like 20-30mgs more a couple hours later?

It depends on the type of Medication and what you are taking it for, If you are taking a standard opioid you might take it 3 times a day to manage pain, some medications are "extended release" which means they release slowly through the day and 1 dose in 24hr is enough.

For the most part one dose in the morning will not be enough and you will have to top up before bed to get to sleep or at lunch and before bed.

redosing is dosing right after you just did. basically dosing while you're still feeling the effects of your first dose. i hope tha makes sense

redosing can be dangerous as in you take a dose you don't feel what you want and you dose again however you didn't give the first dose enough time ot peak and then both combined doses can be too much and you can od and die. that is extreme but 100% possible and it's led to plenty dieing.

if you're not super experienced with teh drug and doses don't redose. just do one, wait hours as in how long the whole high and comedown lasts and then dose again. also redosing makes the second dose feel less good for some drugs so it may not be economical

If you are just talking about taking another dose of your medicine later in the evening then you're fine. If you are taking 60 mgs of hydrocodone in the morning then you can take another dose of hydrocodone at night and feel the effects just like you felt in the morning. It's not wasting it at all because your body would probably need another dose 8 or 12 hours later. If you aren't accustomed to taking 120mgs in one day then obviously lower your dosage.

In pain management we usually take 3 doses a day, morning, noon and night, and you can feel the effects and pain control each time. Unless someone is taking an extended release version of an opiate and then it's usually once in the morning and once at night.

Redosing and taking a dose of medicine can overlap in definition but usually when I read about a member redosing it's a case of taking some type of drug and "redosing" in close time periods like 30 minutes or an hour. You obviously wouldn't want to take 60mgs of hydrocodone at 8am and doing it again at 9am because the first dose hasn't started to work yet.

so....yeah. I hope that makes sense. You can take opiates and feel them every time unless you've become tolerant and have to increase your dosage.

I consider redosing taking more then one dose in the same day or less then 12 hours apart. If you dose twice the same day no matter what time you take them at you will have somewhat of a diminished effect. The absolute optimal system is to wait 1-2 days before taking another dose, that way you can ensure that your first dose does not at all interfere with the second dose.

I understand what you are saying but I was looking at it from a chronic pain patient who takes several doses a day, spread out by 4 to 6 hours. So we "redose" several times a day but not in the same way as someone who is taking a dose every hour like some users do with gabapentin. We obviously can't wait days before our next dose. I take Methadone 3 times a day and other opioids I can take in between to help with pain. (10mgs 3x a day)

So in my mind I think of redosing as someone who takes 2 grams of gabapentin spread out over a couple of hours. I think of my medicine as just taking a dose at the time frames that I need them and I never take one dose, wait an hour, take another dose, wait an hour, etc. Does that make sense? There's just no way I could wait days in between if I want to control my pain. My doses are lower than possibly someone who is buying it off the street and taking large doses, then waiting until the next weekend to do it again.

The point of being in pain management is to have a steady amount of medication in your system all day long, instead of going up and down and skipping days. I know some pain patients take all their meds in 2 weeks and then withdrawal until it's time to get a refill, but I was answering based on my own personal experience of taking narcotics. I've been in pain management for 8 years so I don't feel my medicine but it relieves my pain.

People say you can't stack codeine but I can I always have and I can maintain a full high for 24 hours + if I want to you I find dosing straight after your dosing pointless though with codeine I have to wait a minimal of 30 minutes to give the dose time to effect me then I can judge how high or low my next dose should be i find this very effective with codeine not only is it safer using this way it's better for tolerance slightly and it's easier to get it right where you want of course if your a virgin your gonna have to find your sweet dose and a bit of trial and error. If you have them on prescription though just take as prescribed.

Pretty much what envoy said. People get into trouble redosing when they don't wait long enough for the first dose to take effect and take some more, when the first dose would have been plenty had they just been a little more patient. Then, wham, the tsunami hits and they OD. I did opioids for 5 years and my advice is wait at least 1 hour after your first dose before redosing. With IR opioids taken orally, the effect usually shows up by then.