View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

HPPD Symptoms. How long do they last?

PerceptivePickle

Greenlighter
I've taken psychedelics 3 time in the past few weeks. Until a few nights ago, after taking a hit of acid, I've noticed my perception has changed while sober. My vision seems to have taken a turn for the worse. I can see "Visual snow," which looks like a bunch of little dots vibrating really quickly. Usually this really affects my vision at night, because I can see the dots all over everything. I was wondering if this is just a side effect from acid (because I've experienced similar problems after doing acid before) or this is a minor case of HPPD. To me this isn't a huge concern, I don't plan on taking any more psychedelics for a while and I can live my life pretty normally. I'd like to know how long these effects usually last for and if abstaining from psychedelics for a while will help get my brain back to normal. I was also wondering if the use of cannabis on a daily basis will affect these symptoms or not.

Thanks guys! =D

it's different for everyone. One person could have it last 2 weeks, and the next person could have it last 5 years, but that does seem like minor HPPD. Lion's mane mushroom is supposed to help.

Thanks for the reply CrypticArc! I've never heard of Lions Mane mushroom before. What is it supposed to do and where can I buy it?

It's just an ordinary mushroom, usually used in gourmet cooking. It's got a cool look. You can buy it in capsule form from many herbal supplement websites. I've never bought it so I can't tell you who's is best but a quick search should give you plenty of results

I abused acid for a period of about 3 months tripping on it 1-2 times a week. Got minor HPPD symptoms after that (visual noise, and lights appearing excessively bright at night) when I stopped tripping these visual disturbances gradually subsided over the next 3 months.

The duration of HPPD symptoms is at least partially dependent upon how much attention you pay to them. After tripping for about a year I had relatively severe lasting visual trails, patterns, snow, and so on that lasted over a year itself, during which I constantly obsessed about how it clearly showed that I had damaged myself. Once I finally learned to stop paying attention to it and giving it power however, it slowly faded away. Now it has gotten so weak that I have to purposely try to bring it out, and I'm not really even sure if anymore if what I have is still a remnant of it, or if it's just something anyone can do by staring at a blank wall long enough. Since then, I have also used psychedelics extensively and in high doses without caring about any of that, more so even than I did the first time around, and experienced no reemergence or exacerbation of symptoms. The only true difference I would say I have between now and then is that my vision is just barely, slightly worse at night, but given that I have also aged some in that time, it's hard to say if the drugs are even the primary cause of that. Oh, and I also smoke cannabis on a daily basis; it made things much worse when I was worried about my HPPD, but it makes no impact now that I'm not.

That's good to hear. These symptoms haven't really impacted my life at all and they're pretty easy to ignore. I really appreciate the reply, Lys!

No problem, glad to help. :) If that's the case I doubt they will last long in you or give you a problem.