• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How would a substrate of an enzyme potentiate compared to an inhibitor?

Speed King

Bluelighter
I found out that a medication I have been scripted, is a substrate of CYP2C9. The medication is terbinafine, an anti fungal that depending on how this works, CYP2C9 inhibition I believe potentiates the edibles I've been eating.

I know for a fact that this drug potentiates morphine to some extent.

Can someone put this into laymens terms ?

Substrates only block the enzyme while it is being processed (which normally doesn't take very long).
Inhibitors cause a much longer blocking.

Inhibitors are therefore much better for potentiation.

Terbinafine is a substrate rather than an inhibitor.

If the substrate is ingested in amounts that are large enough to occupy a significant percentage of the CYP2C9 enzyme molecules in your body, it will act as an inhibitor. It just depends on how much of the said enzyme there is in a human body, how large the therapeutic dose of the medication is and what are the relative affinities of the compounds for the enzyme.

Substrates only block the enzyme while it is being processed (which normally doesn't take very long).
Inhibitors cause a much longer blocking.

Inhibitors are therefore much better for potentiation.

Terbinafine is a substrate rather than an inhibitor.

What you're describing here is an irreversible inhibitor, which can't be displaced from the enzyme molecules by a stronger substrate, and causes an inhibition that lasts until the body has synthesized more enzyme to replace the permanently inhibited enzyme molecules.

Last edited:
In that regard, the potentiation would build over time by at least taking the recommended dose.
Thanks for breaking that down.

Idk wiki just says "green vision" idek what id do if i took a pill for my foot and saw green lmao it was probably just one guy

I bet guy took a higher then normal dose or had some enzyme issue. Those are viable possibilities.